WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let's say you're on vacation and you're going to go into the ocean at the shoreline for some swimming, wave surfing, etc. Disregarding strap/bracelet/spring bar failures (which could always happen), which clasp type do you feel is the most secure?

• Tang
  • Deployant
  • Push-button deployant
  • Fold-over push-button deployant
  • Double-locking foldover
  • Butterfly

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
So you're talking security explicitly separate from strength? Because you're about to get a bunch of answers that completely ignore that distinction, talking about "failure points", "amount material", etc. Along with the people who will ignore the part about ignoring springbar failure...

As far as security, practically, there's no real difference; but the pin-buckle requires the most complex actions in the most different directions to remove. There's almost no gross movement combination that would disengage it. Whereas push buttons and fold-overs could theoretically be disengaged by gross (versus fine) movement by getting caught on something, hit, or squeezed inadvertently.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Excluding potential springbar failure: Tang buckle.
Including potential springbar failure : Nato or Zulu (which come with a tang buckle anyway). Because you need for both springbars to fail in order to lose the watch.

Reactions: BSOregon

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
You’ve got to be having a real bad day to lose a fold-over push-button deployant.
You have to be incredibly unlucky for any strap to fail by playing around in the ocean. The problem, if there is one, will be with the spring bars, not the clasp style.

Either get in the water with whatever you're wearing or take the thing off if you are so worried about it.

·
Premium Member
36,196 Posts
Tang and buckle, or just don't wear the watch when in the water?

·
Registered
15,444 Posts
I usually just wear an inexpensive dive watch for those.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Marine Nationale style strap, its extra secure because even if it becomes undone the elastic band will keep it securely on your wrist. Agree with others that the spring bars are what you should worry about more than the clasp.

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
Fold over-push button deployment. Vance.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
NATO strap
Sure? After realizing how easily some straps can pull out the spring bars by catching their shoulders, I wouldn't.

As for the OP's question, the quality of the buckle or clasp is more important than the type to me. There are scaringly flimsy ones and there are very good ones, in each category.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Bertucci or other watch with fixed strap bars (anyone know of any? I'm thinking of getting some soldered onto one of my solar divers). Put it on a Nato or Perlon or Zulu. It's my go to for rough sports like mountain biking and should work great for surf sports.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Bertucci or other watch with fixed strap bars (anyone know of any? I'm thinking of getting some soldered onto one of my solar divers). Put it on a Nato or Perlon or Zulu. It's my go to for rough sports like mountain biking and should work great for surf sports.
You might want to reconsider the potential injury risks of fixed bars + pass-through straps for mountain biking. Springbars are a very good fuse, should the get caught on something.
Wrists and hands are complicated things that you really don't want to jack up to save losing a watch.

·
Registered
443 Posts
You might want to reconsider the potential injury risks of fixed bars + pass-through straps for mountain biking. Springbars are a very good fuse, should the get caught on something.
Wrists and hands are complicated things that you really don't want to jack up to save losing a watch.
True enough, I've not considered the impact of snagging a fixed strap. Did it once with a Nato on a plastic Timex just walking through a doorway and ripped out the spring bars, and I've lost a couple of watches due to spring bar failure when riding. I'd hope anything small enough to slide under/snag a strap while riding would be small enough to break but it's definitely something to consider. Thankfully, at 55, my wilder riding days are behind me and I stay, mostly, in control.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts