WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,516 Posts
If you are dying to go into salt water with your watch I would think a flip-lock like on a Sub would be about as secure as you can get. Also, with regard to spring bars, the end caps on my Sub bracelet where they meet the watch case are fairly tight, so I would think in this situation the spring bars are not as stressed as on some other watches. Even taking off the bracelet for cleaning takes a bit of effort.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I lost a watch off the back of our boat when I was a kid. The clasp snagged something and popped undone, and it was the sort of clasp where the two ends of the bracelet separate so the watch just dropped straight off.

·
Premium Member
29,459 Posts
In my opinion, your list re-ordered from most secured to least...
1. Tang
2. Double locking fold over

Forgot about what the others were.

Also, spring bars play a part in security of the bracelet to case too. The design that I found very impressive is the Ball Watch as the use screw in tubes in lieu of spring bars. Very secure.

·
Premium Member
29,459 Posts

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I’ve had springbars pop on NATOs more than anything else, actually. I think a pin buckle with secure keepers is a good way to go, assuming the springbars are tough.

·
Premium Member
71,306 Posts
You have to be incredibly unlucky for any strap to fail by playing around in the ocean. The problem, if there is one, will be with the spring bars, not the clasp style.

Either get in the water with whatever you're wearing or take the thing off if you are so worried about it.
FJ makes a very good point. I enjoy wearing my watches far too much to even contemplate taking it off.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Great suggestions made here. I've got a tang, a fold-over push-button deployant clasp, a push-button deployant, and a butterfly going on the trip so it will be a game day decision...........

·
Registered
177 Posts
Now, my bracelet always showed signs of “stretching” when my 1680 went back for service, but mine used to pop open pretty regularly when working. Not sure how rough surf can be on it.

my brother’s seamaster bracelet also popped open on him, regularly, but we were living apretty demanding life.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I received this Ball Hydrocarbon this week. This clasp ain't going anywhere.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts