WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What brand do you all think is the best/most widely known of the affordable's that makes a watch for <$250? If someone were to ask you what watch you are wearing, which brand do you think the average person would recognize best and as being a quality brand, not just the most recognizable? Not necessarily as actually having the best quality compared to lesser known brands, just perceived quality from a person who may not know much about watches. I think it would be Citizen or Seiko. Just interested in hearing thoughts because up until the other day, I hadn't heard of many of the brand discussed on the boards, but now I am very interested in them.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Orient

·
Registered
225 Posts
What brand do you all think is the best/most widely known of the affordable's that makes a watch for <$250? If someone were to ask you what watch you are wearing, which brand do you think the average person would recognize best and as being a quality brand, not just the most recognizable? Not necessarily as actually having the best quality compared to lesser known brands, just perceived quality from a person who may not know much about watches. I think it would be Citizen or Seiko. Just interested in hearing thoughts because up until the other day, I hadn't heard of many of the brand discussed on the boards, but now I am very interested in them.
The logical answer has to be one of the Chinese brands. China has the biggest population in the World and a healthy wrist watch market. It is also a big exporter - including to Africa.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd probably say Citizen. Just because, prior to finding WUS, I quite honestly had never heard of Orient before.
x2 that's why I said Citizen or Seiko. In the U.S. it seems that Citizen is pretty well regarded, and Seiko can be as well. But, I hadn't heard of Orient. I'm glad I found them though.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
By people (Americans) who know little or nothing about watches - Citizen. By people who know something more about watches - Seiko. Both make quality watches, but that's the way the knowledge breaks. Orient deserves honorable mention, but for the most part, only initiated have heard of them.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
In Sweden its probably Seiko or Casio. Timex doesn't exist here AFAIK, and Citizens presence seems rather limited. Orient is unheard of outside WIS circles.

At the next level it's probably Certinas quartz lines that are most widely advertised and recognized.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
The logical answer has to be one of the Chinese brands. China has the biggest population in the World and a healthy wrist watch market. It is also a big exporter - including to Africa.
This...

You are asking more than one question. Among the high population countries that have a watch industry, their own watch will be best known therefore this answer makes the most sense. Ask an indigent of the Central Indian sub continent which Casio they like and they wont have heard of them. ask about Hmt and you'll get an answer. The same in Russia and China for their locally produced pieces.

World wide, I would be Surprised if Timex is not recognised widely as a brand of watch. For those who know and, we are in the minority, Seiko would take the biscuit IMO.

K.

·
Registered
331 Posts
For those who aren't interested in watches, most known here in Slovenia is Casio.
Before I was on WUS, I also knew of Seiko, but only because I had one Seiko 5 from my grandfather.
Citizen? Never heard before.

5 years ago I bought a Swatch, beacuse I thought Swiss company would mean a quality watch, but I now know it is a low end watch.
Then when I got into watches this year, I first bought a Casio. Then I wanted a more quality watch, and our local forum suggested looking watchshop.com, there I also found Citizen and bought one. Then later 2 Seiko 5's.
Orient came the last of the Japan big four.
Swiss watches? I actually can't remember if I knew of Omega, probably not. So sadly only Swatch and Rolex. And for Rolex I only knew the name of the company, didn't knew the models they make, like Submariner and Explorer.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Australia:

-Orient is an unknown brand.
-Citizen and Seiko are seen on the same level I'd say. Seen as good watches.
-G-Shocks are well known (probably due to American hip-hop culture - and Australian military and American war movies) but obviously aren't seen as classy, just seen as a watch that'll last and take a beating.
-Most people have no idea that not all watches have batteries in them.
-Companies that manufacture wetsuits and surf clothes (board shorts, rash shirts etc.) also have dabbled in making watches. They are popular and a huge rip-off.
-Like most places more people don't wear watches than do.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I think Citizen is perceived as (and generally is) a cut above Seiko.

Orient is a collectors' and enthusiasts' brand - not a "popular" brand.

Reactions: Eddie Mac

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I think Timex is the most well-known as a tough, quality watch, even if it's not as fashionable as G-shocks or various fashion brands like Fossil and Diesel.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts