WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As there is no non-G Casio subforum, I am asking here!

I want to send my vintage DB-81 ST Cognit Schema for service/repair as recently the EL backlight has completely died. Every other function and button works fine, as well as the EL backlight indicator on the display,. I know the ELs do die over time and the more they are used the more the properties of the EL wear out. This much is also described in the watche's manual.

I want to have it sent to a repair shop to see if the backlight part itself can be replaced or repaired?

Pic for relevance:

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
db310 was one of my first casios ^_^ which looks like it uses the same module.
personally i wouldnt waste time and money tracking down a repairer, just buy a used donor (or even new version of a newer compatible module) and do a straight swap. youll also have a spare set of front button springs for when the original ones give up (y) 👍

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
db310 was one of my first casios ^_^ which looks like it uses the same module.
personally i wouldnt waste time and money tracking down a repairer, just buy a used donor (or even new version of a newer compatible module) and do a straight swap. youll also have a spare set of front button springs for when the original ones give up (y) 👍
That actually is brilliant idea. Mine uses module 1475 so assuming I just buy a used watch with the same module I can just swap the backlight panel over or just the whole module? Hopefully the frame is all the same holding the module.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It appears the db310 uses a different module (older) which doesn't have EL backlight?

I'd need module 1475 for this swap to work from a donor!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I recently used the Casio USA service agent in Los Angeles, they gave me good service. Pleased as it was a discontinued model, Japan only watch and they were still able to get parts.

The job was significantly delayed because of COVID (not their fault, Casio Japan was closed for parts). You can send a description of the problem, model and module number into [email protected]. Hope that helps. Let us know how it goes. It's maddening how many parts are being discontinued for us vintage owners. Citizen has just dumped a whole swath of eco-drives, so not unique to Casio. Chaulk one up for a mechanical watch being more collectible in this regard. But frankly you service in other ways like others have mentioned here, source a doner watch if the watch is important enough to you. Happy hunting!

This WVQ-110 got a new case and glass:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I recently used the Casio USA service agent in Los Angeles, they gave me good service. It was significantly delayed because of COVID (not their fault, Casio Japan was closed for parts). You can send a description, model and module number into [email protected]. Hope that helps. Let us know how it goes. It's maddening how many parts are being discontinued for us vintage owners.
Thanks for this I shall send an email shortly!

In the meantime I found one on ebay, not the same module but from an 80s model although it appears to have the exact same functions and working backlight, so I've placed a bid and this will be my backup plan if I get nowhere with Casio: Casio Vintage 1980's Data Bank 50 World Time Telememo Digital Bracelet Watch. | eBay

Although thinking about it when I took apart the AE168, the EL backlight is just a thin flat piece of panel behind the LCD itself so I should be able to just dismantle the module and swap out the EL backlight panels keeping fingers crossed that the connectors remained the same between the 80s and 90s. If not then I'll just swap the whole module over and have an even older Cognit Schema on the inside lol. - This is of course plan B.

Edit*
That is a nice watch!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks! I should do a write-up on the WVQ-110 & OVW-100 series (same cases & modules), I have like 8 running and at least four to repair. They came in all kinds of flavors, I have a couple more coming in All Nippon Air collaboration ANA logo series with Ti cases. Two to build one good one. I was working with another board member to do what you're doing to try to save some cool all metal MR-G watches. We got frustrated and gave up. So if you have success, please share!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
find donor movement. easy enough swap for the EL panel. watch a few casio/g shock disassembly videos and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! I should do a write-up on the WVQ-110 & OVW-100 series (same cases & modules), I have like 8 running and at least four to repair. They came in all kinds of flavors, I have a couple more coming in All Nippon Air collaboration ANA logo series with Ti cases. Two to build one good one. I was working with another board member to do what you're doing to try to save some cool all metal MR-G watches. We got frustrated and gave up. So if you have success, please share!
This is my first vintage watch really, bought it as new old stock and indeed it's in brand new condition. Just the EL has died after some 30 years in a collection somewhere for most of its life lol. Such is the way I guess. I'll try keep an eye out for the writeup if you get round to it!

find donor movement. easy enough swap for the EL panel. watch a few casio/g shock disassembly videos and you should be good to go.
The only problem with this is I know Casio sometimes changed connector contact positions etc even if the module itself was similar between year models. So ideally I'd like to find a list or something that shows all the models of watches that use the same EL panel for example. Would narrow things down considerably!

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
It appears the db310 uses a different module (older) which doesn't have EL backlight?

ha! i completely forgot it didnt have a light, tho i rarely use one.
generally if the module is the same shape with the same number of buttons its a straight drop in, so having extra functions from a newer model would be pretty cool (y)

best of luck!

·
Premium Member
3,156 Posts

You've probably already thought about this, but don't forget to also swap out the backlight graphic panel(y)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers all,

I got an email back from The Time Machine mentioned earlier and they have said:

Thank you for contacting us and providing the pictures of your Casio watch. Unfortunately, per the description on your email, your watch needs a new module and modules are no longer available to repair your watch.

Thank you for your business

The Time Machine
So it appears I will be doing it DIY with a module swap!

I am still the winning bidder on this so either way I'll be swapping either the EL panel or the whole module. I am undecided on whether to retain the graphic sheet though as when the backlight is not being used the sheet casts a faint pink blob on the LCD when viewing in bright lighting conditions which looks odd but keeping the graphic retains the Cognit Schema feature aspect too so I'll have to consider what I value most lol.

·
Premium Member
3,156 Posts
I am undecided on whether to retain the graphic sheet though as when the backlight is not being used the sheet casts a faint pink blob on the LCD when viewing in bright lighting conditions which looks odd but keeping the graphic retains the Cognit Schema feature aspect too so I'll have to consider what I value most lol.
If it were me I'd 100% be keeping the graphic, it makes the watch what it is, a Collab and a bit more interesting than a standard module. Maybe you could still remove the panel but keep it somewhere safe if you wanted to put it back in at some point?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If it were me I'd 100% be keeping the graphic, it makes the watch what it is, a Collab and a bit more interesting than a standard module. Maybe you could still remove the panel but keep it somewhere safe if you wanted to put it back in at some point?
Ah yes I'd definitely be keeping the graphic to the side in the watch box! I think I'll keep it in the watch though as you say!

OH MY! Take pics of this adventure with the watch all apart and share!! :p i wanna see i wanna see ; )
Don't worry I'll keep the thread updated with what happens and pics!

This is from the battery change:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts