WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks

SUMMARY
I have been looking over the watchuseek forums for a while now, and I have come to realize that many, if not the more vocal members of the forums have a near vitriolic hatred for "fashion" watches. For example, when a newcomer with a genuine question discusses certain watch brands or models, they will get many responses that start out with "That is a fashion brand and it is a crappy watch" kind of response, but will quickly tie it up with a "but if you like fashion watches, you enjoy it", which I find quite honestly to be a little rude. That would be telling someone that their hyundai car was a "fashion"/budget/crap/low-end vehicle, but then saying, "but if you like your crappy car, then have fun ;-)". Do you see what I am trying to say here? From what I gather, I get the feeling that fashion watches are more or less accessory items as opposed to "real" watches, and most people here prefer watch brands where the company is dedicated to actual watch-making, and/or started out exclusively as a watch producer. I also get the feeling that fashion watches are perceived as being very low quality.

If this is your opinion, I want you to be 100% honest with it. I don't want anyone to sugarcoat it or try to redeem a negative opinion by producing a positive/feel-good response.

I admit I am not a watch expert, but for a while now, I have been wanting a reliable watch that would last me at least more than 5 years. In addition, I wanted it to be extremely scratch resistant. Nothing turns me off more than a scratched crystal. I wanted something that looked nice, but not overtly showy. Finally, I wanted something that was simplistic - I am not a fan of dive watches, I find them to be a little cluttered honestly.
So, I came across the Movado Museum. I thought it was the perfect watch, so I got it for $350. It fit basically everything I needed. After this purchase, my interest in watches grew, and I came across this website.

However, as I read the opinions of a lot of people on this forum, it would appear that movado (at least according to the opinions on this site) is a complete garbage "fashion" brand that should be avoided like the plague. Yes, Movado has turned to quartz for most of their movements. Yes, Movado is found in a lot of malls (though honestly, I see them sitting next to Omegas and Rolexes all the time in the same malls, but they aren't mall brands for some magical reason). Yes, movado is considered an "entry-level" pseudo-luxury brand, But does that seriously make Movado a "fashion" brand?

The amount of negative opinions makes me question my purchase - Clearly, you guys know a lot more than I do. What makes Movado such a "bad" brand? The conclusion I have now is that Movado watches are low quality - That is the only explanation I have for the amount of "hatred" for the brand.

SO HERE ARE MY MAIN QUESTIONS

- Is Movado a "Fashion" brand in your opinion?
- If so, are Movado watches low quality, and lack longevity?

Once again, "if you like it, then enjoy it" kind of responses are irritating. I want YOUR opinion, and only your opinion. I want you to be as honest as if you were completely drunk, and you spilled all your darkest secrets and opinions without restraint.

Movado Museum Img.jpg

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Hello,
Yes, Movado is a "fashion watch"; defined as a watch marketed with an overwhelming emphasis on aesthetics versus the mechanics and everyday durability/functionality of a "Tool" or "Sports" watch.

Does that mean Movado watches are low quality--of course not. They are Swiss made with quality quartz or mechanical movements so they will last as long as just about any other watch when you know their limitations. You would probably not want to wear one on Navy Seal missions but with a formal suit, at the office, and 99.5% of your other everyday activities, it makes a good choice.

Good luck with your choice.

heb

heb

·
Registered
14,342 Posts
Dear NewElysium,
It's ...... in here, but once in a while you will see vessels of rationality and true WISdom. Be sure to pay attention to those.
Heb, being one such exemplar of a rational vessel, nicely summed up the long and short of it.

Do bear in mind that neither categories - fashion & bad - are fixed, nor are they immutable.
ALL but the most functionally demanding watches on some mission today are fashion watches to varying degrees.
Moreover, nothing is by itself a fashion item: it is only through the intention of the wearer (to look one's best, or to sport a certain style, for example) that something becomes a fashion item. Some people wear rubber bands as bracelets. And indeed, why not.

Learning about watches can go 2 ways: you "travel" and get your experience; or, you take the "package tour" that comes with all the jargon and "must-have" names.
Needlessly to say, the first route takes longer but sure is a lot more fun. And you will find yourself immune to the "religion" that comes from the 2nd route.

While I do not own any Movados, I respect their place in the pantheon of modern design, and so have handled a few in my time. Nice pieces. If you like the style, you cannot do wrong to own one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I get the feeling that fashion watches are more or less accessory items as opposed to "real" watches, and most people here prefer watch brands where the company is dedicated to actual watch-making, and/or started out exclusively as a watch producer. I also get the feeling that fashion watches are perceived as being very low quality.

I want you to be as honest as if you were completely drunk, and you spilled all your darkest secrets and opinions without restraint.
Okay, fine. I'll nibble at that bait, and be forthcoming, for better or worse. It's too tantalizing!

Are fashion watches garbage? Of course not. But pretty nearly. But this is bias, and I'll explain.

Look, you can split hairs over anything. Coffee, cars, clothes, wine, jewelry, anything. And when you start splitting hairs, you see things you didn't see before. You see things that others don't, and they don't care about. And when you cross that line you have become a ________ geek (insert interest here). Around here we're watch geeks so we split hairs about watches, and this creates opinions. Strong ones. Yeah, the greatest watches are way better than department store watches. They really are. But you have to care about that. And frankly, not everyone does. Same with wines, for example. I can't tell a Cabernet from a Pinot and I don't really care. I'm not a wine geek. But the differences are there and they're significant. With wine, I'm actually missing out on lots of stuff, stuff that wine geeks get to enjoy and notice and cherish. Same with watches.

But here's the rub: you can't be an everything geek. We only live so long. So we all cherry pick stuff to geek out about. Most people probably really like your Movado, and that's not because they're dummies or they're low-society. It's because they're not watch geeks. I wouldn't buy Movado, no. As a watch geek I have slick watches, but I still buy plebeian wines. Oh well. That's just the way it is.

My advice? Be the geek you want to be. If reading about watches made you start splitting hairs, then ditch the Movado. If not, then don't sweat it if watch geeks think it's low end. It's only one interest anyway.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
In my opinion, "Fashion Brand" is a meaningless and arbitrary term. Is Chanel a fashion brand? Harry Winston? Louis Vitton? If so, they make some excellent watches.

Don't get caught up in the gospel according to anonymous internet watch guy. It is a hackneyed cliche, but here it comes again... Buy what you like. You're the one who has to wear it.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Don't worry about labels. It's your money, if you like it, buy it. The heck with what anyone thinks.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you are talking about reliability, scratch resistence, etc i would say that for the same amount of money you would get better watches so you are paying more for movado stile.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to the site and I was looking for a Movado forum and couldn't find it. Now I know why. Interesting... Me personally I like Movado and just bought my first Citizen Eco-drive and loving it. I think for under $1000 watches Movado and Citizen are great watches. One day I will spend on a $2000 watch like Tag or equivalent.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Why would someone take advice from a drunk?

Is Movado a fashion brand? I believe so.
Does Movado offer good quality standard watches? I believe so.
The automatic depicted here looks very nice. The date window at 12:00 is very original. I like it.

Once again, "if you like it, then enjoy it" kind of responses are irritating. I want YOUR opinion, and only your opinion. I want you to be as honest as if you were completely drunk, and you spilled all your darkest secrets and opinions without restraint.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I gave up my movado as soon as I was interested in horology about 6 months back. Why? just take a look at the wiki page.
I like Movados, so I did as you asked and checked out the Wiki page and this is some of what I found.

"Movado commissioned the design and installation of "Time Sculpture". This unique clock sculpture was designed by world renknowned architect Philip Johnson. It is located outside Lincoln Center in New York City. In 2006, Movado celebrated its 125th year of watchmaking. The company is internationally recognized as a leader in innovation. Elevating timepieces to an art medium, the Movado name has become the hallmark of some of the most innovative watches ever created."

Now isn't this the definition of a good watch "Elevating timepieces to an art medium"

I don't want to ruffle any feathers but, to each his own.

Dean

·
Premium Member
39,773 Posts
It's more this bit that people have a problem with
"Movado had started producing an unauthorized version starting in 1948, copying Horwitt's design. Movado finally settled with Horwitt in 1975 with a payment of $29,000. Following Horwitt's death, Movado started heavy promotion of Horwitt and the design of the Museum Watch."

·
Registered
527 Posts
I see how some people could have a problem with this but as the article says, Movado finally "settled" with Horwitt in 1975 with a payment of $29,000. I for one have let go since they have settled and think that they make some beautiful timepieces.

Dean

·
Premium Member
39,773 Posts
I agree that they make some beautiful timepieces and I would have no problem owning one.

I an see why the fact they used the design without authorisation and have earned millions from it, while only having to compensate to the tune of 29k grates people though. In a business where fakes are rightly treated as trash and homages are often frowned upon, it seems a bit much to laud a brand that basically stole the design completely (whether they now produce them legally and ethically or not)

And the key word is not "settled", but "finally" - 27 years after they started using the design

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would have to agree that Movado does concentrate more on what the outside looks like as opposed to what is on the inside...

That being said I am a current owner of a Movado Series 800 and overall it is a beautiful watch and have no issue with whats inside the watch since it is "Swiss Made"

Now when I purchased the watch I was a little quick to pull the trigger since for a quartz watch it was a little expensive, but still a very nice watch but not for the money

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
"Swiss Made" doesn't really mean all too much because it covers too wide a range of timepieces with too varying a degree of quality. You can buy a "Swiss Made" watch that costs anywhere between $30 and $1,500,000. Those are two extreme examples, but nonetheless true. There are Japanese movements and German movements that way surpass most "Swiss" watches. Personally, I find Movados tacky. Their advertising is a farce because they appeal to those who want to seem a grade above the rest, when really it is just a cheap watch with a big price tag masquerading as a high-end watch. I think Movados look silly, actually. I would never bring this up, because in the end I really don't care what other people choose to wear, but the original poster wanted an honest opinion, and this is really my opinion. If it matters, I wear a JeanRichard with a "Swiss Made" ETA movement that probably is around the same price as the Movados in question, so I'm not trying to make it a matter of cheap verses expensive.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts