WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

This isn't my watch, but rather from a colleague. He inherited from his grandmother, and it's been in the proverbial drawer for quite some time.

It's a Movado chronometre. Anyone out there have an idea as to date? I'm guessing pre-WW1, but that's a guess on my side. There is no serial number except on the case, and the movement itself is without any engraving whatsoever...

What's interesting is the original leather case for the watch. The watch at some point was dropped or hit by something heavily, and the case has, as a result, some distortion to it (doesn't close well, and the secondary lid covering the movement is quite difficult to open up).

So, this is what the watch actually looks like: front...

... and back ...

and of course dial...

...which isn't the best shot of the dial, just documening everything. This looks nicer...

...and this...

... is also better. Now for the insides. First the dust cover, which surprised me: the face isn't marked Movado and yet ...

...and here is the movement. The pictures, in many ways, don't do justice to the movement, which has an absolutely lovely frosted gilt finish...

The case itself is gold, as can be seen here...

and

and

and

and

Does anyone know the hallmarks shown here?

Any help in identifying this one would be greatly appreciated!

JohnF

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
The crown on the case is a German gold mark to start with. Gold is 14K as you know.
The movement is characteristic of about 1900-1910, but we know Movado wasn't trademarked till 1905. The World's Fair medals date it later than 1905 as well.
The metal dial is usually a 20th century feature. On American watches it normally means later than 1920 but the Swiss seemed to use it earlier.
So I agree it's probably a pre WW1 watch, probably before 1910.
Nice one. Haven't seen an early Movado before.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts