WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Turns out that my wife and I are moving from Boston to Seattle in about 3 weeks time. I was wondering if anyone could give me a heads up on the area [watch wise]. Also if there are any GTG's that hapen, wouldn't mind meting some of you.

Just wanted to put it out there.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
You sure the real reason for the exit out of Boston is because you're a Yankees fan?:think: lol. Yankee fans are as welcome in Boston as Movado is at WUS forum.:-d
Enjoy the Starbucks coffee in Seattle. I'll take Dunkin' Donuts any day.(Toasting my Dunkin' Donuts ice coffee to your big move out of Beantown)

GO SOX!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Take a good raincoat and stock up on anti-depressants. Definitely have the seals checked on your water resistant watches.
Daughter lives south of Portland (same country); summers are incredible, rest of the year you better like rain and gloomy skies.

Oh, best of luck!

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take a good raincoat and stock up on anti-depressants. Definitely have the seals checked on your water resistant watches.
Daughter lives south of Portland (same country); summers are incredible, rest of the year you better like rain and gloomy skies.

Oh, best of luck!
Well I grew up in Syracuse, NY so gray/overcast skies are what I am more comfortable in.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW I am pretty familiar with the area, and its reputation for rain [which is actually a bit over blown].

I was interested in watch info...notable shops/stores/watchmakers..etc etc

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Craig, welcome to the area.

First, the reputation for rain is under-blown. While we don't get any more (and sometimes less) total rainfall (in inches/mm) in the course of a year than most other temperate places, we have months at a time in which it rains at least part of every day, and it's cool, dark and wet from September into July; it does get old. But we really enjoy the unrivaled excellent weather in July and August, and sometimes well into September. It rarely gets below freezing, and rarely over 90, so the temperatures are mild, which is nice. But I do get extremely tires of the dark, dank climate....

There are, I suspect, the usual array of watch shops considering the size and wealth of the area (e.g., nothing to match NYC, but better than BFE). There are high end watch shops with excellent inventory and service (e.g., Fox's); there's a shop which has a remarkable variety of less well known luxury brands, including Seiko Spring Drive and Ananta (World Lux). And there are the usual bunch of Rolex/Omege/whatever jewelers, in and outside of malls.

Where are you planning to live, roughly?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the watch info Spider!

Though we arent there yet, we are really excited to get going...we have loads of freinds and family already in the area so we think the transition is going to be pretty smooth.

Thats how I like my weather...temperate...the gray weather never really bothered me...and honestly a blaring sun is just annoying haha!

As of now we are looking in Fremont, Green Lake, and I think Queen Anne areas...I am still learning the neighborhoods and my friends are helping us along. My wife will be going there next week to see and solidify our new place...looks like we have a choice between 3-4. We should be in town on or about thw 22nd of March.

Craig, welcome to the area.

First, the reputation for rain is under-blown. While we don't get any more (and sometimes less) total rainfall (in inches/mm) in the course of a year than most other temperate places, we have months at a time in which it rains at least part of every day, and it's cool, dark and wet from September into July; it does get old. But we really enjoy the unrivaled excellent weather in July and August, and sometimes well into September. It rarely gets below freezing, and rarely over 90, so the temperatures are mild, which is nice. But I do get extremely tires of the dark, dank climate....

There are, I suspect, the usual array of watch shops considering the size and wealth of the area (e.g., nothing to match NYC, but better than BFE). There are high end watch shops with excellent inventory and service (e.g., Fox's); there's a shop which has a remarkable variety of less well known luxury brands, including Seiko Spring Drive and Ananta (World Lux). And there are the usual bunch of Rolex/Omege/whatever jewelers, in and outside of malls.

Where are you planning to live, roughly?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This actually reminds me. I have a lot of watch magazines [WatchTime, IW, and InSync/Watch Jounral] that I am looking to get rid of...is there anyone in Boston who might want them? I am done with them, and dont want to move them with me...seems like a waste to just toss them.

Wouldnt cost you a thing...maybe a trip to my office to pick them up [I would suggest a car]

PM me if interested

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Just kidding before about being a Yankee fan and all. Best of luck with your move. I'd gladly trade in the blink of an eye, the view of John Hancock tower and the Prudential building for the view of the Sky Needle and cityscape with Mt.Rainier in the background. Truly breathtaking. Would make a nice background for a future watch pic.:-!

ps: The Mariners look pretty good this year on paper. Don't go jumping on the bandwagon now! lol.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just kidding before about being a Yankee fan and all. Best of luck with your move. I'd gladly trade in the blink of an eye, the view of John Hancock tower and the Prudential building for the view of the Sky Needle and cityscape with Mt.Rainier in the background. Truly breathtaking. Would make a nice background for a future watch pic.:-!

ps: The Mariners look pretty good this year on paper. Don't go jumping on the bandwagon now! lol.
haha no worries! I've been here a couple years and I don't mind a little MLB ribbing...never really bothered me.

I realized one of the great things about the Mariners is that I can get into MLB games much cheaper than if I was trying to get into Fenway or Yankee Stadium....a Yanks/M's game for $18 a ticket?...dont mind if I do! :-!

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
haha no worries! I've been here a couple years and I don't mind a little MLB ribbing...never really bothered me.

I realized one of the great things about the Mariners is that I can get into MLB games much cheaper than if I was trying to get into Fenway or Yankee Stadium....a Yanks/M's game for $18 a ticket?...dont mind if I do! :-!
C.C. Sabathia vs Feliz Hernandez for $18? Now that's a bargain!:-!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Welcome to Seattle! All those neighborhoods you mention are fantastic, very livable and enjoyable places with great cafes and parks to enjoy. There's quite a number of WUS members from this area, which means that perhaps there ought to be a watch collector's get together sometime soon.

The weather is grey during the winter, but as Spider mentioned, it's really an overblown issue that we like to perpetuate, to keep too many folks from moving to the city! New York and Miami get more inches of rain than Seattle, although we certainly have more grey days. Plus, this winter's been absolutely gorgeous-- the last couple of days have been sunny and 60ish, and the summers are to die for!

World Lux is definitely a great place for high end watches. I haven't had to do a lot of repairs or maintenance, but Nesbitt's is an authorized repair place for Rolexes and Omegas, I believe, and I've had good interactions with them in the past.

Welcome :-!. Yes, the Mariners should be contenders this year!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Much like Dualtime, I'm also originally from Utica, NY....

I lived in Seattle for 6 years and even met my wife there...as for the weather... it depends on your preferences, but I personally found it to be unbearable in the winter....which is why I live in Orlando now!

Safeco field is awesome...especially when you're a Yankees fan! :)

·
Registered
899 Posts
this guy...

Sisters, OR
www.kpmwatchcompany.com
don't know how far that is from where you'll be, but he does MAKE his own watches. pretty cool website. he's on facebook too.
Keaton Myrick

edit (320 some miles south, about 5.5 hours... hmm)

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
To be honest, the best places to shop watches in Seattle...aren't...in Seattle.

Vancouver BC is just a 2 1/2-hour drive north and you can tell that watches and high-end fashion in general are more appreciated there. There are no less than a dozen places to shop high-end watches within a few blocks of each other there. And I'm talking a pretty diverse selection too -- from Patek, UN, JLC, GP to the usual suspects like Rolex, Omega, and Tag, to oddballs like Tutima and Muhle Glashutte on down to WIS budget brands like Momentum.

Anyway, welcome to the town, now go drink some overroasted Starbucks! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts