WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas,

I'm moving to Borneo this summer, SE Asian Island near the equator. I'll be there for a minimum of 2 years serving in a wildlife preservation/anti-poaching training unit. I've been there before, but that was almost 3 years ago and for only 2 weeks...I have been trying to find a watch for some time now that will survive the mountianous primary jungle, but my "safety" is always on the back of my mind- so should I consider purchasing a Breitling Emergency? The only concern I have is that it is quartz with a battery life of 3 years if I remember and I'm not too sure how well the transmitter will work under jungle canopies if I can't make it to higher open ground. Your thoughts are appreciated.

cheers,
-Jack

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I'm no expert (more the forum 'tolerated idiot') but my only word of caution would be the water resistance of the Emergency, especially if you're in nice sweaty jungle (although I have no idea what Borneo is like and anyway, Bear Grylls didn't seem to worry about it)

If you're being really strict too, there's the point that it's supposed to be for 'aviation' emergencies only, but then, that point has been debated ad nauseum around these parts.

I now commend my answer to the floor for comment/derision. Whatever you choose, have a great (and safe) time.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The Emergency does seem to have adequate water resistance although the E-Mission is much better rated in that arena. I am sure either will suffice for your needs.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
moisture is a big concern as it is 100% humidity year 'round and it rains just about every day there during the monsoon season, needless to say the watch will be wet 24/7.

the ermgency is a unique timepiece and tool, I rarely ever see any for sale on this forum as I get the idea people like to hang on to them.

the article was very insightful, I am no pilot and I do not agree that they should only be used exclusively for them, why is a pilot more important than say those climbers who died on Mount Hood last year?

it is clear to me now that this "tool" is a backup backup backup device. only problem is, where I am going it isnt very well funded to hand out GPS locator becons to everyone-and most likely one of our helicopter pilots would find me before any military search and rescue would be deployed.

I respect that it is a pilot instrument and based on the article I don't feel it's the correct tool for me, after all if I slip (and I will be slipping a lot) on wet rocks etc and smash the watch it will be useless. maybe something tougher like a Kobold will due?

thanks

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
8,826 Posts
I think you are on the right track. There are personal locater beacons that are specifically designed for ground based parties that will not contravene the rules governing aviation related emergencies. They are very effective and suitable for the situations you are going to encounter.

You might want to start your search here...these guys would know a thing or two about conditions prevailing in Borneo.

http://www.mapworld.co.nz/beacons.html

http://www.mapworld.co.nz/406signal.html

http://www.mapworld.co.nz/mt410.html

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_100754

http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/What_is/index.asp

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Great info in that Emergency article! I was amazed that someone pulled all that info together. And do I remember the PRC-90!

SnapIT, you run a great forum here!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Fellas,

I'm moving to Borneo this summer, SE Asian Island near the equator. I'll be there for a minimum of 2 years serving in a wildlife preservation/anti-poaching training unit. I've been there before, but that was almost 3 years ago and for only 2 weeks...I have been trying to find a watch for some time now that will survive the mountianous primary jungle, but my "safety" is always on the back of my mind- so should I consider purchasing a Breitling Emergency? The only concern I have is that it is quartz with a battery life of 3 years if I remember and I'm not too sure how well the transmitter will work under jungle canopies if I can't make it to higher open ground. Your thoughts are appreciated.

cheers,
-Jack
dear jack,
any transmitter will not work if you are inside a forest canopy. a transmitter to work, at it's full range, you must be on top of a mountain, a high ground or an open area like the sea.
how much more for an emergency since it is a miniature transmitter, it also has a small watt output.

now, if you want an emergency, by all means, buy it. it is nice to know that when the time will come, and you will need it (the transmitter), it is there. just be sure to find a high ground, like on top on a mountain or an open area like the sea.

i said, if you "want" an emergency, by all means, buy it. i didn't say, if you "need" an emergency, because in my opinion, you don't need it. Because if you want somebody to hear your distress call from an airplane/helicopter. there is a transmitter that you can buy which sends a distress signal with a higher power output compared to that of an emergency.

the best example would be this:
people buy cars to move them from point a to point b. buying a toyota, nissan or a mitsubishi will get you there (from point a to point b). a toyota will do the job. but some people will opt to buy a higher priced bmw.
it applies to watches. a seiko is relatively cheap/inexpensive compared to a rolex. a seiko can tell time, a rolex can also tell time. some people buy seiko's because it serves it's purpose (to tell time) and some people will buy rolex's, it also tells time. (if time is the only aspect and not the brand, both watches can tell time). if you need a distress transmitter, buy the transmitter with the higher watt output.

but, if you want an emergency, by all means, buy it.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Awesome!!! I was just talking about doing something like that. If you get a chance, can you PM me with the info etc.

As former military, I understand your planning with regard to your personal safety. However, why take chances?? I would suggest getting a more "professional" piece of gear for locating you in case of emergency. Stuff it in a patrol pack and have it as a back up if needed. I would always suggest having back up gear especially out there. Not that the breitling watch is not a pro piece of kit, but I think IMHO it might be limited in performance in a jungle environment. Assuming you get innjured and can't climb a mountain or ridge....I would assume a signal would be very limited. Also, what rescue agencies operate over there? Could any rescue craft receive such a signal from a breitling? Maybe it is an international distress freq. How about an old fashioned pop-up flare or new laser flare that can be seen for miles.

Regards
Scotto

cheers,
-Jack[/quote]

·
Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator
12,053 Posts
Hi, Greg. Yep, a lot of us remember...

Great info in that Emergency article! I was amazed that someone pulled all that info together. And do I remember the PRC-90!

SnapIT, you run a great forum here!
some of the acoutrements we had available in our youth... ;-):)
Cheers,
Ron

·
Registered
939 Posts
hey Jack, hope this gets to you in time

been to Sabah, which is as you say 100% humidity and 100% sweat on your body, rocks, mud, forest canopy and mosquitoes under all the canopy, not exactly the tropical paradise but hey what yer doing (anti poaching and protection) is highly commendable. I had a chance to work for the Phils DENR and Endangered Species Intervention during my more energetic years, Phils and Indonesia being the most poached countries in ASEAN and it was very fulfilling to stop all this illegal trafficking of endangered species. my assignment was the "pangolin" coming from phils. but very dangerous, poachers and environment equally.

now back to your Q, the guys here may kill me for this but the most important gears i packed was a GPS transmitter and compass, satellite phone, flashlight, machete, an H&K SMG and "Off" lotion/mosquito body net. the watch i brought, a Casio G-shock lasted but did a bracelet snap and eventually got lost in the river, after that i never packed a watch and just relied on our guide and sat phone for time. you may want to pack a Breitling or any other tool watch but you may be sorry if it gets nick, crack or worse lost in the wilderness.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
However much this flies in the face of the general consensus, I'd rather have a transmitter strapped to my arm than packed away in my rucksack.
I'm not saying don't have a separate transmitter, just have one which will be attached to your body at all times as well.
This is just my opinion, so don't flame me, please.

Best wishes,

Verner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts