WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went to Tulum for a short break and was very excited to sync my watch using time and position in cancun.

I exited the airport, held the sync button down until the second hand pointed to t+p and waited.
It synced and pointed to Chicago and set the time back one hour.

However that's not correct... Cancun / Tulum and NYC are the same time.

Kind of disappointed but not sure why the GPS module wouldn't know this.

·
Premium Member
8,207 Posts
It could be worse.... you could have discovered that it didn't sync properly in...Omaha, NE!! ;-)

That's odd though. Hope it's not broken!

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I don't really know how the GPS watches work -- do they determine their location and then pick from a pre-programmed list of time zones?

If so, and if that model watch is more than a year old, it might have something to do with Cancun and the surrounding area only recently switching to NYC time this time last year: Cancun Will Change to Eastern Standard Time - ABC News
It's too bad there is apparently no way to update the firmware in these watches to handle timezone changes.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I don't really know how the GPS watches work -- do they determine their location and then pick from a pre-programmed list of time zones?

If so, and if that model watch is more than a year old, it might have something to do with Cancun and the surrounding area only recently switching to NYC time this time last year: Cancun Will Change to Eastern Standard Time - ABC News
I think you are spot on there with the cause of the problem, there is no way for the watch to update its internal table of time zones, so it will fail when the time zone and daylight saving algorithm changes. There really need to be a way to do software upgrades on the watches to fix this problem

·
Registered
884 Posts
I think you are spot on there with the cause of the problem, there is no way for the watch to update its internal table of time zones, so it will fail when the time zone and daylight saving algorithm changes. There really need to be a way to do software upgrades on the watches to fix this problem
Casio heard you and just introduced a smart watch to save your day! Obviously sarcastic ... :-d

·
Registered
380 Posts
Exact same with my Beast- it set to Chicago time. Could be that it is very close to the line and it's kind of weird how they carved up the Yucatan Peninsula time zones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
It's too bad there is apparently no way to update the firmware in these watches to handle timezone changes.
The good news is that this doesn't happen all that often -- the only other time zone change that I'm aware of was in North Korea last year. (Trolls came out of their way to f17 to LOL about "it's North Korea -- who cares what they do?" when my point was that this sort of thing could happen anywhere, and apparently it did in Mexico!)

Casio can't anticipate time zone changes, which don't happen that often, and DST changes, which happen more often. This is WHY Casio doesn't attempt to program DST dates into their "world time" watches, since there's a good chance that some of those dates would change within five years -- and that's why we have to manually turn DST on and off on our watches for other regions.

Again, I don't know much about the GPS system, but the lower-tech, atomic clock radio transmitters actually encode "DST on" and "DST off" into the radio signal. I would think that GPS does the same thing, but it still won't help if the watch "thinks" it's in a different time zone.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Operator error, the watch is fine. Set it on the correct time zone, ZD+5.
I thought the "fun" of owning a GPS watch was that it's supposed to figure out the location and time zone itself -- which this one almost did, and would have if the Mexican government hadn't switched the time zone last year.

Did you read the whole thread?

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I thought the "fun" of owning a GPS watch was that it's supposed to figure out the location and time zone itself -- which this one almost did, and would have if the Mexican government hadn't switched the time zone last year.

Did you read the whole thread?
The manual for this watch does say it's supposed to be able to determine position in order to set the time.

·
Premium Member
7,544 Posts
It is definitely not "operator error!"

It is an installed database error. The watch performed exactly as expected, but the data it had available were out of date.

This highlights the need for a database that can be updated.

The Timezone database on my Garmin fenix watches, for example, have had 4 major updates in the last 3 1/2 years. These updates covered new time zones as well as new DST updates. These updates do not happen often, but without them one may find themselves in a situation similar to the OP.

HTH

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Ah mystery solved! That stinks my watch will never sync to Tulum properly. Oh well.

At least for the MRG that I have there are two sync options.
One will sync just the time (based on your home time zone I think), the other option is time and position (which will change your home time zone).
The manual says to use the time in position sync when traveling. I think by default it only uses the time sync if you let it sync on its own.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts