WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who is familiar with the MT-G 1000: Do you know anything about the functions of A, B and C?

• If you do have this watch what is your opinion of it?
  • No backlight or LED correct? How is the lume on the hands?
  • Lastly, how is the audible alarm on it? Is it hearable, faint, loud, etc?

·
Registered
85 Posts
In Timekeeping mode:
A - Tells the 24 hour time. This doesn't change between modes, as far as I can tell.
B - Points at the current day of the week
C - Indicates the seconds of the current time. (The large central red "seconds" hand does not indicate seconds in timekeeping mode but just points to the "12" position during normal timekeeping mode. But it does tick off seconds in stopwatch or countdown timer mode. I've been told that this is also typical of various Swiss-style chronographs, which also use a small subdial hand to indicate seconds in normal timekeeping mode.)

In Alarm mode:
B - Points to "AL"
C - Points up to "0", does nothing otherwise.

In Stopwatch mode:
B - Marks elapsed time in minutes (0-60).
C - Initially it points up (to "0"), to indicate that you will be counting time *up* from zero. When you start the stopwatch, it marks 1/10th of seconds for first minute, then points at "0" afterwards. The watch does still keep track of the elapsed time, and that hand will point to the 1/10th second elapsed time after you stop the timing.

In Countdown timer mode:
B - Points first to "TMR" for a few seconds when you enter the mode (to let you know that you are in the mode). Then you use it to set the timer duration (1-60 minutes). After you start the timer, it goes backwards down to zero minutes. Also the large red central second hand goes backwards (counterclockwise) when the timer is running, which is cool to watch.
C - Points down (i.e., to date window) to indicate that you are in count-*down* mode.

When setting your local time/city, B also indicates whether Daylight Savings Time is "ON" or "OFF" or automatic ("AT").

You are correct, there is no LED/backlight. Lume is ok, not great. It's visible for a few hours in total dark, but not easy to see in movie-theater dark. The lack of a LED/backlight is mildly annoying but not a deal-breaker for me.

Alarm volume is "hearable", similar to my GW-800. It probably wouldn't wake me up from a deep sleep, but it's easy enough to hear when I'm awake and working. For instance, we have a dog that needs to get two separate medicines each morning, 30 minutes apart. I give her the first medicine, then start my CDT (which is set at 30 minutes). I have no problem hearing it go off 30 minutes later if I'm reading the newspaper or otherwise engrossed in some other morning work. For me, the CDT was what made me purchase it, as opposed to other all-analog G-shock models like the Giez.

I've only had my MTG-1000 for a few days and am still figuring a few things out, so this may not be a complete list. In particular, I haven't played with the world time much, since I don't do much travelling. But so far I like the watch. Because of the stainless steel construction, it has a nice "heft" to it. And it looks like either a sporty dress watch or a dressy sports watch, so I would have no problem wearing it to a business meeting or out to dinner at a nice restaurant.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Excellent review, with one slight fault. The 6 o'clock subdial (labeled C above) displays in units of 1/20th of a second vs 1/10th in stopwatch mode and does in fact stop after spinning for 1min but still keeps track of the time displaying it again when then the timing has finished.

Another nice thing is the CDT and alarm tones are slightly different.

I've had mine for 3 weeks and it's still my primary wearer, it's a nice watch. I have both gold and red but favor the gold. The four face screws being gold really highlight nicely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts