WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The latest MTG has caught criticism and admiration from all corners. I just got one and am really enjoying it.

To start with it is built on the latest Aviators, the GW-A1000 and 1100. Going to get into details a little later, this will end up being a 2 or 3 part (4??) review/information base for this watch. First I'm going to start with Unpacking and opinion.

MTG Outer Box.jpg

This is my first MT-G, and I have yet to have an MR-G. So very curious to differences in one of the "premium" lines vs G-Shocks and limited/grail G-Shocks. Outer box is nice.

Inner box looks . . . similar. But with some other stuff. Also the front opening box is different.

MTG Inner Box exposed 2.jpg

Let me separate the inner box.

MTG Inner Box.jpg

Ahhh. Proceed.

MTG Inner Sanctum.jpg

And the reason we're here. Notice black pillow vs. white. Red edging around inside of box. Minor but different. This is the full production version of this watch, so it is interesting to see any differences for the "upscale" G.

4 misaligned screws.jpg

Ahhh, there we go. Notice the 4 screws around the face? Normally when they are decorative screws they are perfectly aligned. Because of the way this one is built, I am thinking they are functional. Here is a blow up diagram (thanks JarenCarter!)

MTGS1000_metal_frame_sized.png

That top piece is machined from billet, while the case is resin. This is something that has been frowned a little on. To me, the watch embodies my two favorite families of G-Shocks: Gundams and Aviators! So I had rose-tinted lenses from the get go b-)

Rim Depth MTG 9 oclock.jpg

This is also my first watch with a Sapphire Glass. I was curious about how would they protect it. See the black ring with the city codes? The crystal is just under it. Here is a "flatter" view.

Rim Depth MTG 11 oclock.jpg

Definitely not a fortress by any means, but a heck of a lot more than an Edifice! Speaking of which, one of my purposes for this watch was to replace said Edifice. But that is another story . . ..

MTG Shock Resist.jpg

Love the detail and how the wording is engraved. See the knurling on the screws for the bracelet screws? It gets repeated in nice detail. :p

Crown and buttons.jpg

And the left side

left screw detail.jpg

At first I said the silver is the best appearing (to me) of the 3 versions. Now that I have it I can tell you that this watch reflects light like crazy! It is the bling-iest watch I have! I am beginning to think one of the black versions would help tone it down.

The regular production black version comes out shortly

mtgs1000bd-1a.jpg

And then the 30th Anniversary edition comes out

mtgs1030bd-1a.jpg

But back to the one at hand as stock photos don't help anybody :roll:

MTG Wrist Shot.jpg

And the side skinny box?

MTG Side Box solo.jpg

Books, spare link, etc. (I have a 7.5" flat top wrist and had one link removed).

MTG Side Box Contents.jpg

So, my first 48 hours with it. I like it a lot. It is actually a lower profile than the GW-A1000's! Part 2 will be comparison photos, I just ran out of time today and didn't want to put it off. I'll also update my impressions as this carries out. I'm glad the bracelet isn't just straight steel links (inners are resin and I will show that too) as this is a dense watch. The billet top piece feels/looks quality to me. I like the effect with the treatment on the knobs and buttons. A lot of details to soak in and I will share more as we go along. Part One: real life photos, check! |>

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
This is a seriously drool worthy piece!:p:p:p

I think that this silver version looks the best. I have come to associate MTG with silver pieces.

Is that a scratch on the lower lug? Looks like it is scratched on the pictures. What happened to it?:think: Or is it just as it appears on the pictures?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Great review and a wonderful piece. With your wrist size, the size and weight should be prefect for you. congrats again, looking forward to the further part of your reviews.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Hi Chris,

that's a nice looking MTG for sure, unfortunately the misalligned screws - functional or not - totally kills it for me. Not that I wanted or needed a MTG anyway but it is a shame that a nice time-piece is screwed up (pun intended) by such a small yet very annoying detail. o|

Anyway, I'm happy if you are happy with the watch, enjoy and wear it in good health ;-)

cheers

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you GShockMe! And thank you for the suggestions, definitely gonna run with them.

Thank you Joakim! The good news is that isn't a scratch. It wiped off (whew!). Having said that I definitely wear my watches and it may gain character marks as we go along. Still, I'm happy none were acquired that quickly.

Thank you Cedric! Well your reviews have been enjoyable for me so I'm happy to share :beer:

Thank you Holger! I'm gonna "pull a Kung Fusion" on it in part 3 so I'll align them to my preference then ;) . I don't think I'll take things as far as he did.

sent with aloha

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Thanks for the review! This one is really starting to grow on me. I'm guessing it'll be too large for my 6.6" wrist, but I might still have to give it a go.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you Milos. You will see what I mean. ;)

Thank you Tobarm!

Thank you Greg! If you like the GW4000 then this will work. Very similar sizing, but I'm getting ahead of myself here.

Thank you JonL! Very good looking piece. Just to clarify, I didn't mean the light reflection was an effect I didn't find attractive, it does get a lot of attention.

Probably my most photogenic watch. This is a cell phone picture from today.

uploadfromtaptalk1384537986144.jpg

Notice: no marks! It wiped off. Another thing: this crystal doesn't collect fingerprints or grease the way the mineral ones do. Nice.

sent with aloha

·
Registered
443 Posts
Congrats Chris!

Your pics are more convincing than the stock photos (to me anyways), and my wallet is going to hate you for that :-d

Re the decorative bezel screws, I wonder if it'd be possible to realign them by some gentle twists without taking the bezel off?

·
Registered
396 Posts
It's indeed beautiful, I'm torn between this and the GW-A1100, the only worry i have with the MTGs is the metal case, dings and scratches that is almost impossible to avoid.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Chris never fails to disappoint. Loving this piece very much. Always a pleasure to see high quality pieces and I can't wait for your next part installment.
Thanks for sharing...

Cheers,
-Kawei-

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Well the good news is I've been wearing it b-), specifically I wanted to compare it with my only other bracelet (all metal) GW-4000D. The bad news? I got around to photos too late today o| as the pictures will bear out :roll:. On top of that I also had technical difficulties. This also means I need to do this part again.

But first, what this part is about.
Group Shot.jpg

You can see where I was going, and what I was interested in comparing right here. On the left is the GW-4000D. You can read more about them specifically over here. This is the watch that introduced the chassis that subsequent Aviators and MTG's have been built on. Over on the right I chose the GW-A1000RAF to represent the "middle ground" as the first G with SmartAccess or "crown". Metatime did a great review on the 1000.

Even just looking at the casebacks can help. First with the 4000

4000 Caseback.jpg

Then the RAF shows the switch from "Japan Y" to "Japan H" as well as the brilliant caseback.

RAF Caseback at angle.jpg

Trying to show the depth here. And from directly above

RAF Caseback.jpg

Now for the MTG. First let me show you the light I was fighting.

MTG caseback.jpg

And on the other diagonal to catch the light a little better.

MTG Caseback angle.jpg

I just realized looking at the photos that the case backs are inverted! Opposite depths that is. Neat!

What I was really interested in is removing the bands on all 3, compare the weights of the metal bracelets, and the bezels. I got stopped on the MTG. Where the other 2 are merely screws on each side, The MTG seems to have a long "through" setup similar to a ProTrek. Here is a PRW3000 for reference

long female short male.jpg

And then a barrel over the setup

barrel over long female.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have two flathead screwdrivers fine enough to engage and "Break" the ends apart. So I have to come back to this.

Having said that I can tell you the watch wears well. You notice the heft of the bezel, and is amazing to look at. Also, it is the first G I have ever worn where someone looked at it like it is an "expensive" watch. I realize this one is, but I have others similar (RAF for example) or more (GW-T5030) where nobody has ever given this look before. So just a heads up if you enjoy that aspect of G's, this one does not have it. :banghead:

I am looking to work on this more. I need to procure 1 or 2 more screwdrivers. Looking forward to learning more about this watch and sharing it. |>

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Gshockme! Yes, I am looking to disrobe it here pretty quickly. Out of curiosity, pics of details, and to see the differences.

Thank you jack1024: I think they would, but you may have to bore the holes out a little. Will tell you more when I get there!

sent with aloha

1 - 20 of 79 Posts