WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started to get interested in the MTGs recently, but haven't been able to convince myself to get one just yet. What are your thoughts on it?

Is it worth the extra money over a GIEZ?

Besides the material, what are the major differences between an MT-G and a GIEZ?

Which model should I go for?

·
7,911 Posts
If you like MTG's look over the Giez look, that's reason number one. Big features on MTG over Giez is Countdown Timer and stainless steel bracelt. The Giez is the only screwback with Atomic/Solar capabiliy and uses a very comfortable rubber strap instead of resin.

Here are the youtube reviews of both....

MTG:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpXxJtb8p34

Giez:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBQL_7kSkdY

Here's an article Sjors asked me to write on the MTG on his excellent 50 G's website...

http://50-gs.blogspot.com/2008/10/mtg-1000g.html

Here are some photos I took when I had both....

MTG and Giez

MTG and Giez side by side

Good luck with your decision :-!

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
ill definitely go with the MTG. Classy yet high tech.
i luv the construction much better than the GIEZ.

IMO, its a must have model if u want a all-analog. its just so beautiful !!!!

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you like MTG's look over the Giez look, that's reason number one. Big features on MTG over Giez is Countdown Timer and stainless steel bracelt. The Giez is the only screwback with Atomic/Solar capabiliy and uses a very comfortable rubber strap instead of resin.

Here are the youtube reviews of both....

MTG:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpXxJtb8p34

Giez:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBQL_7kSkdY

Here's an article Sjors asked me to write on the MTG on his excellent 50 G's website...

http://50-gs.blogspot.com/2008/10/mtg-1000g.html

Here are some photos I took when I had both....

MTG and Giez

MTG and Giez side by side

Good luck with your decision :-!
This is great information, Doug, thank you very much.

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ill definitely go with the MTG. Classy yet high tech.
i luv the construction much better than the GIEZ.

IMO, its a must have model if u want a all-analog. its just so beautiful !!!!
But are there any major differences in movement between the GIEZ and MTG? How about MRG, then, for that matter?

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
from Dougie's pic comparison, i wanna say the dials on the GIEZ is a little bit tad bigger than in MTG. and i think GIEZ uses a technology called "5-motor" which i cant explain it very well. i just prefer the all steel than resin/rubber construction when it comes to all-analog.

the MRG however is a G with its own class. DLC coating, expensive and top of the food chain. it never arrived to the US and the only place to get the MRG is Japan.
i think it cost like >$800 or something like that. the only dude i know that has a MRG is MRG-1000.

·
7,911 Posts
from Dougie's pic comparison, i wanna say the dials on the GIEZ is a little bit tad bigger than in MTG. and i think GIEZ uses a technology called "5-motor" which i cant explain it very well. i just prefer the all steel than resin/rubber construction when it comes to all-analog.

the MRG however is a G with its own class. DLC coating, expensive and top of the food chain. it never arrived to the US and the only place to get the MRG is Japan.
i think it cost like >$800 or something like that. the only dude i know that has a MRG is MRG-1000.
Sspartan has one too :-! He also has the MTG. All 3 also use the 5 motor.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Well, I have an MTG-1000G. Personally I find it much classier looking than the Giez. The Giez always looks like it has ears, and I much prefer bracelets over straps. However, that is just my $0.02. You need to get the one that looks better to you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
But are there any major differences in movement between the GIEZ and MTG? How about MRG, then, for that matter?
The MTG has the same movement as the GS1100 but with an added countdown timer (how cool is that!). The top right sub dial has a single hand and shows the day and function in use.

BUT... the GS1000D has 2 hands in the top right sub dial, which allow for a 24H stopwatch as well as alarm or dual time to be displayed in the sub dial. Frustratingly (for me) the GS1100D is only 2 band: US and Japan.

Personally I think the MTG looks much better, but... as it only has a 1H stopwatch I doubt I'll buy one :(

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd get an MTG. Just a top class G-Shock...:-!
Don't get me wrong, I like the high-end G-Shocks just as much as the next guy, but I'm struggling to understand Casio's pricing here. The innards and movement of the 3 lines are (essentially) the same 5-motor technology (which, by the way, is used in the Oceanus line too I believe).

So how is it that the MTGs are 30% more than a GIEZ (well, actually this one is relatively understandable compared to my next question)?

And how is it that the MRGs are 10x the cost of a GIEZ? Sure it's titanium and uses DLC, etc., but I've got to think that Casio doesn't sell very many of these...:-s

·
7,911 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I like the high-end G-Shocks just as much as the next guy, but I'm struggling to understand Casio's pricing here. The innards and movement of the 3 lines are (essentially) the same 5-motor technology (which, by the way, is used in the Oceanus line too I believe).

So how is it that the MTGs are 30% more than a GIEZ (well, actually this one is relatively understandable compared to my next question)?

And how is it that the MRGs are 10x the cost of a GIEZ? Sure it's titanium and uses DLC, etc., but I've got to think that Casio doesn't sell very many of these...:-s
I'm not justifying the pricing, just playing Devil's Advocate. I would suspect the 30% more than Giez is due to that Countdown Timer and Stainless Steel bracelet. Casio charges a premium for those. I also think (someone correct me if I am wrong) The Giez is 2 band vs MTG which is definitely 5 band.

I cannot justify the obscene pricing of the MRG, but that DLC costs a premium on ANY watch along with Titanium, it also sports the Sapphire Crystal. Understand as well, these are Manufacturer SUGGESTED Retail Pricing, you can find them much cheaper on the Sales forum or Ebay.

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not justifying the pricing, just playing Devil's Advocate. I would suspect the 30% more than Giez is due to that Countdown Timer and Stainless Steel bracelet. Casio charges a premium for those. I also think (someone correct me if I am wrong) The Giez is 2 band vs MTG which is definitely 5 band.

I cannot justify the obscene pricing of the MRG, but that DLC costs a premium on ANY watch along with Titanium, it also sports the Sapphire Crystal. Understand as well, these are Manufacturer SUGGESTED Retail Pricing, you can find them much cheaper on the Sales forum or Ebay.
Thanks for your insight, Doug. Perhaps that is the reason the MRGs have not made it past the shores of Japan yet (because even Casio is not confident anyone will buy them).

To be honest, though, I haven't seen too many MRGs online, especially the new one MRG8100.

·
7,911 Posts
Thanks for your insight, Doug. Perhaps that is the reason the MRGs have not made it past the shores of Japan yet (because even Casio is not confident anyone will buy them).

To be honest, though, I haven't seen too many MRGs online, especially the new one MRG8100.
Yea, it seems the only way to get them is through import....Sspartan shot me a photo of the packaging he got his MRG in, nice solid wooden box, they went all out on it. I believe they produce them in VERY limited quantities. I believe the newest one had the Countdown Timer like the MTG. If I had the choice of all 3, I would say the MTG, it's the right price (discounted of course) I love the looks, the functions are excellent, and it could be worn in any environment from work to play.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts