WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I came across this watch a while ago, and am preety keen on purchasing it, it's got a grip on me, if you know what I mean.

http://www.specialopswatch.com/cart/products.cgi?detail=21

However, seing as I'm also a diver, I wanted to know if anyone knows if you can dive with this watch. Not necessarily too deep, probs max out at 50m. Mainly 20-30m.

I think that the MTM Vulture can dive, and it has a pretty neat UV dive light feature, but i think it only comes on in Jan 2008, and is about $900.

SO if anyone knows if this watch can be used for diving, or if they have any Real Life Pics, that would be great.

Cheers

M

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
I can't see why this watch wouldn't be suitable for a dive its rated for 100meters and that is plenty enough. if you like it, go for it.

regards, holger

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Does the watch come with a special instrument to clean all those crevices?

I think it might be difficult to clean the watch after exposure to a muddy, dusty or salt-watery environment.

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
If I remember when I first was reading about this watch you adjust the band using an allen wrench that comes with the watch. Unscrewing all those little screws would be kind of pain but it can be taken apart for cleaning at least.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I think the main issue is the lack of markers on the bezel!! Although it is waterproof, it wouldn't be my MTM of choice for diving. There are other dive orientated models. However, as an all round watch I think the Black Hawk is pretty cool.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I've been looking at the Camo version for a while,just hav'nt pulled the trigger yet:-s I would think geing rated at 100m it would be OK! Just e-mail them? I would love to see one in person,dont forget to post pics if you get it:-!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Conventional wisdom is that 100m rating is not sufficient to SCUBA dive, only to swim, jump in etc
It seems wierd (to me), but it is suggestet that with dynamic pressures (movement of water) and potential impacts, one is not allowed to go 100m with a 100m watch, and one is only allowed to dive recreationally (no de-compression) with a 200m one. If 50m is to be exceeded as a dive depth, 300m is theoretically required as a watch rating.
Don't ask me why, but that is how it is.
If you want to get seriously deep, consider the beuchat Abyssal, which is hydraulically filled and is rated to 6000m (yes, 6km)!

http://montresdeplongee.forumrama.com/montres-de-plongee-f1/une-beuchat-inconnue-t35.htm

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, i e-mailed the actual company and asked them,

here's what they said

"Although the watch is tested and rated 330ft that does not
mean you can Scuba. You can dive , you can swim but not Scuba. To Scuba you need 660ft rated.

The reason for this and it's the same for all watches is that when you move underwater the pressure increases dramatically. You cannot press the button underwater.

The watch you need top get is the Vulture. This was made for divers.
Before entering the water you press the button and UV lights will illuminate the dial. The lights stay on as long as the battery last's several hours.

When you come up out of the water you turn off the lights. (no pressing
underwater). You then have to use the plug in charger to charge the battery or USB to charge from a laptop if no power close by. Charger and USB supplied.

Price $695 arriving early Jan 08.

So I'll guess I'll have to get the Vulture. Its an awesome watch, but it can't use a metal strap. :-( Maybe I'll just get a traser instead.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Interesting. I would personally never dive with a metal strap watch, as getting the right length is a pain - depending on what wetsuit/drysuit you have on, if you have gloves etc etc. I personally find web suit extensions in bracelets useless unless they have incremental adjustment, and even then they don't give enough length to wear when you are 5mm gloves on! Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, i know what you mean, but I currently have a metal strap with dive extension and it works quite well. The thing is my old watch used to be dive rated and was also good to wear in formal/semi-formal situations. So i'm looking for a dive watch that i can wear with semi-formal...ish. That's why i was loking for a metal strap.

That's just my return two cents, :)

·
Registered
909 Posts
Ok I'm gonna make it 6 cents!

You can buy a PVD or non-PVD stainless or titanium bracelet separately (from MTM) and fit it in minutes to your dive watch (the vulture or other). The vulture is pictured with a rubber strap, but that's not to say you can't use it with a velcro strap or a bracelet. I personally have tried the velcro strap and the rubber strap, and the rubber strap is the most comfortable and practical (although the strap keepers seem to be rather fragile), whilst the velcro looks very good but can be a little itchy (like most nylon straps). I put the Silencer back on the bracelet, as although it isn't the most comfy, it looks so much better! :-D

·
Registered
909 Posts
Forgot to mention, the MTM bracelet doesn't have a wet suit extension. I think in a general sense, if you go diving in nice warm water and don't need an extension, or your exposure suit/gloves are just the right width to perfectly accomodate the strap with wetsuit extension, then you are sorted!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts