WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm kind of really curious if mud is such a big problem with non-mudman G-Shocks that Casio seen fit to advertise 'Mud Resistance' as a separate feature.

So, has anyone witnessed a purportedly superior mud resistance of a mudman compared to any other Gs?

·
Registered
956 Posts
No. It is not. Casio old school model such the famous DW-5600E/DW-6600/DW-6900 G-Shock is the most sought model by military personnel for their military training. All these model survive on hard knocks, crawling in the mud, diving, desert etc, even thought the button is not covered by resin.

The Casio Mudman is just a Casio Marketing to emphasize the design of Mud Covered Resin based model which become foundation model the current King G-Shock, GX/GWX-56 which all button is full covered by soft resin.

As the very first Mudman is DW-5500, followed by DW-8400 (both has been discontinued long time ago), but you may find it similar button design in the still available model DW-9052. (Plastic square button).

Of course the Mudman G-9000/G-9010 is hard to push due hard resin, but it's doesn't bother me all. Maybe you can consider a GuflMan+Mudman solutions model, the G-7900, which is best feature of both worlds...

Note: You may wait until the new Mudman G/GW-9300 which will release soon on June 30, 2011...Maybe button easier to press?

cheers,

yschow

·
Registered
650 Posts
I feel like it could potentially be a problem if you get in the mud alot. I mean if you got mud inside of the bezel of a regular G wouldn't it be a pain in the rear to clean out?

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Mud under the bezel isn't a problem. All you have to do is take the bezel off and clean it. The biggest concern is getting any sort of dirt or moisture inside the case. All G's have small rubber gaskets on each side of all the buttons to prevent this from happening, so no, mud is not a problem.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Maybe in terms of cleaning afterwards. The design could prevent or reduce mud from going inside and under the bezel. Plus the knuckles underneath help in stabilizing the watch on the wrist. The module case itself, regardless of model, should be safe from anything if its properly sealed.

·
Registered
172 Posts
this my experince

aku menjadi volunteer di KeSEMaTBLOG: Kami MANGROVER, Kami KeSEMaTER!
its completely extrem combination of salty water and mud

sudah 2 g-shock yang menjadi korban.... punya teman ku(DW5600) dan dosenku(gulfman)
dan punyaku masih tidak apa-apa :D

the problem is the small gaskets can harden and crack faster when the watch not clean corecly after under the mud and not water resist :D
(sory im using indonesian and bad for english language )

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
To the original poster, as you can tell, everyone has a theory, but no one knows. The buttons are covered with rubber, it's called the MUDman.

If you like the watch, get it. If you don't, then I'm sure some other G-shock can hold up to whatever you want to throw at it.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
this my experince

aku menjadi volunteer di KeSEMaTBLOG: Kami MANGROVER, Kami KeSEMaTER!
its completely extrem combination of salty water and mud

sudah 2 g-shock yang menjadi korban.... punya teman ku(DW5600) dan dosenku(gulfman)
dan punyaku masih tidak apa-apa :D

the problem is the small gaskets can harden and crack faster when the watch not clean corecly after under the mud and not water resist :D
(sory im using indonesian and bad for english language )
I think I'll volunteer to translate your post for you so others can understand this better ;-)

"I joined the Indonesian Mangrove Adventurer team which is of course a very extreme combination of saltwater and mud everywhere. 2 G-Shocks fell victim to these harsh tests of endurance: a DW-5600 owned by a friend and a Gulfman owned by my lecturer. My Mudman survived though :-D

The problem arises with the small gaskets hardening and cracking faster with watches that has not been cleaned enough after they went under the mud."

Now that is what I call a recounting of first hand experience ;-)

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I think I'll volunteer to translate your post for you so others can understand this better ;-)

"I joined the Indonesian Mangrove Adventurer team which is of course a very extreme combination of saltwater and mud everywhere. 2 G-Shocks fell victim to these harsh tests of endurance: a DW-5600 owned by a friend and a Gulfman owned by my lecturer. My Mudman survived though :-D

The problem arises with the small gaskets hardening and cracking faster with watches that has not been cleaned enough after they went under the mud."

Now that is what I call a recounting of first hand experience ;-)
capt RENGT thanks for your invaluable experience and to gtr83 for translating. It's real world experiences like this that prove what most of us already suspected, the G-Shock design features are not always gimmicks but actual design achievements. I'm sure that's not always the case with most manufacturers but I suspect Casio takes this more seriously than most.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Well, I'd have to say that it depends... upon the kind of mud and frequency of exposure.

Mud contains lots of wet grit. The Mudman is purposely designed to minimize the chances of that grit getting caught in crevices and seams on the watch and band. You can certainly use a non-Mud G-Shock in muddy conditions, but you may find yourself having to spend more time cleaning it. That's no big deal if you go "mud dipping" just a few times a year. But if you're someone who is "deep in the muck" on a regular basis, going with a Mudman is a better choice. As GTR83 attested above, frequent exposure to salt water can cause degrading to gaskets. From what I see, the Mudman offers a little better protection. Oh and of course, the Frogman is essentially a Mudman on steroids. ;-)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Well, I'd have to say that it depends... upon the kind of mud and frequency of exposure.

Mud contains lots of wet grit. The Mudman is purposely designed to minimize the chances of that grit getting caught in crevices and seams on the watch and band. You can certainly use a non-Mud G-Shock in muddy conditions, but you may find yourself having to spend more time cleaning it. That's no big deal if you go "mud dipping" just a few times a year. But if you're someone who is "deep in the muck" on a regular basis, going with a Mudman is a better choice.
I couldn't agree more :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm going to revive a very dead thread. I bought the mudman (old version plus the new one that's in the mail) because I've had to clean the inside of my gshocks. Oh they still work alright. After a week and two days at the lake in Texas where it's hard dry sand and then rain turning it into gritty muddy water cleaning the inside of a typical gshock is a pain. The watchs are still ticking like crazy but it's an unsettling feeling to have the inside so dirty. And I also like the tech on the new ones. :p

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
^ You're absolutely right. The bezels on most G-Shocks have gaps... and very fine mud grit can sneak inside them. True, G-Shocks are tough and can put up with copious mud silt slathered in various crevices, sockets, and gaps. But once dried, every so often you'll have debris falling out of your watch. Also, if the day comes when you need to change straps and bezels, you'll find yourself with a mess. The latest Mudman design (as well as the King) looks super for mud resistance. I'm not a mud trawler, so I won't be getting one intentionally in the near future, but if I did visit the muck on a regular basis, I'd get a Mudman. Plus as you said, the tech on the new ones is nice. :)

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Glad to hear that the King offers superb mud resistance. I take it that Kings/Mudmans will survive the mud even if its strap is changed. I really like the look of the King on Zulu/B&R style nylon strap. Maybe I should make a new thread to see if anyone tried to install the G-7900MS nylon strap on the King.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Once met a chap who served in Iraq (British army) who said that all G-Shocks seem to hold up well against mud, but that very fine desert sand would start to make buttons feel "scratchy" on models that didn't have sealed covers on the buttons. He said that's why Mudmans were REALLY popular out there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts