WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and watch lovers,

since some time I am very interested (obsessed? :-D) in mechanical watches and bought some Omegas (good old Speedys and one new Seamaster 300).

But I am not only fascinated relating to the high quality and the nice designs, I am also very interested in movements and especially how they work!
I love to read servicing and technical guides like how works the escapement or a Column Wheel/Cam chrono. How works a magic lever, which differnt types of balance wheels are existing and so on.
There are some very worthwhile articels.

But one "simple" old part which I only discovered a day ago is the keyless works.

I understood the simple version like for example it is implemented in my Speedmaster.
A) The crown is pushed in -> the Castle wheel is connected to the Crown wheel which is linked to the ratchet wheel/the barrel and so one.
B) The corwn is pulled out -> the Castle wheel is connected to the hand-setting mechanism.

But there are multi function keyless works. For example my Seamaster with the Omega 8400(and the 8500) has a GMT function (you can set the hour hand independently of minute and second).

How this is working? The Castle wheel has only two sides for time setting and winding?
Is there is mechanism which exchange the time setting mechanism with the GMT function?
I saw a servicing a 8500 blog but chould not unterstand the multi function keyless work.

Can me somebody explain the function c) between a) and b) or send me an article?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I looked again at the service blog from the "watchguy" and found this. Maybe it helps for understanding:

img_3174b1jeu.jpg

Sorry I am a layman but I assume that the Castle wheel is always used if setting the time and the jumping hours. But the wheels left and right of the Castle wheel are movable. So if the left part is pushed down one can set the minutes and hours.

But the big question is still there how can the jumping hours be set? If the right part is pushed down? For what the red marked wheel is used?

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
But the big question is still there how can the jumping hours be set?
Omega uses an hour wheel assembly that is made in 2 parts - has sort of a ratchet mechanism inside so the wheel can turn as one when the watch is running normally, or the part with the hand mounted on it can jump in one hour increments...

Cheers, Al

1 - 4 of 4 Posts