WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
SBDC051, SPB179, SRPB51
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m relatively new to the work of Casio g-shock watches. I’ve been looking and picked up a new DW-9052 with the woven band. Added a GA-2100 the other day and think it’s pretty neat.

All that said…. What g-shock should I absolutely add to my collection? Bonus points for folks who tell me why.

All the best,
Ken

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
18,203 Posts
I’m relatively new to the work of Casio g-shock watches. I’ve been looking and picked up a new DW-9052 with the woven band. Added a GA-2100 the other day and think it’s pretty neat.

All that said…. What g-shock should I absolutely add to my collection? Bonus points for folks who tell me why.

All the best,
Ken
What do you appreciate in a watch?

Rarity? Certain size? Sheer outlandishness? Colors? Value? Vintage?

·
Registered
SBDC051, SPB179, SRPB51
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do you appreciate in a watch?

Rarity? Certain size? Sheer outlandishness? Colors? Value? Vintage?
I like my watch primarily to tell the time and date. That’s about it. I’m an extremely techy person so I can appreciate all the little functions of a g-shock.

I saw the gwm5610 online and it has a solar panel apparently. That’s kinda neat. I definitely like the square models as well.

So many to choose from!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
297 Posts
ppl will say 5600 or 6900 cos theyre some of the originals but its really up to what you like and what your budget is. theres so much choice, its like asking someone what you should have for lunch 😅
Only reason why I have a 5600 is because it came with a combi bracelet. I thought it was too basic for me since I already had a metal square and was planning on getting a 5000. More I wear 5600, I don't feel the pressure to get 5000 a lot these days. It is my top 3 go to watches, and I highly recommend it. Shout out to @kritameth thank for the watch.

·
Registered
9,317 Posts
I like my watch primarily to tell the time and date. That’s about it. I’m an extremely techy person so I can appreciate all the little functions of a g-shock.

I saw the gwm5610 online and it has a solar panel apparently. That’s kinda neat. I definitely like the square models as well.

So many to choose from!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do know you're going down the rabbit hole, right? And that you may never find your way out? Just checking. 😁

You say you're an extremely techy person and appreciate gshock functions, so IMO you need a triple sensor watch. This recommendation is easy: a GW-9400 Rangeman. It's one of the classic digital gshocks and has a huge number of features. Triple sensor (altimeter, barometer, compass), one-touch 1,000 hr stopwatch, timer, alarms, time STAMPS, solar, atomic, it's got it all. Great bang for the buck. They come in a wide range of colors, the more limited ones are more expensive, but you can probably find the basic black one for around $200...

(btw, ALL gshocks are 200m water resistant)

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Only reason why I have a 5600 is because it came with a combi bracelet. I thought it was too basic for me since I already had a metal square and was planning on getting a 5000. More I wear 5600, I don't feel the pressure to get 5000 a lot these days. It is my top 3 go to watches, and I highly recommend it. Shout out to @kritameth thank for the watch.
I was really regretting letting it go, but hearing that it's getting the love and wear it deserves makes me very happy!

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
My first was the GW-M5610. (This is the thread I started when I began my search here.)

The 5610 is very much that first hit of G-Shock "crack:" it has solar recharging, atomic clock syncing, and all the timers you'll want. It's in the square format, which G-Shock traditionalists will say is the "purest" style. Best of all, you can get into this one for under $100 on Amazon right now.

An oft-repeated warning: buy this one and it will not be your last. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

My other recommendation, if you want to spend a few more bucks, is look for the 5610U model which is for sale at various Japanese dealers online. The U is the new version which has much-improved lighting and features such as showing the current time of day while a timer/stopwatch is running, a feature I realized is important to me.

Join us! :sneaky:

Reactions: Sennelier

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
9,025 Posts
ppl will say 5600 or 6900 cos theyre some of the originals but its really up to what you like and what your budget is. theres so much choice, its like asking someone what you should have for lunch 😅
+1. 5600 or derivatives and 6900 are as classic as it goes now. 25 years in continuous production.

·
Registered
SBDC051, SPB179, SRPB51
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My first was the GW-M5610. (This is the thread I started when I began my search here.)

The 5610 is very much that first hit of G-Shock "crack:" it has solar recharging, atomic clock syncing, and all the timers you'll want. It's in the square format, which G-Shock traditionalists will say is the "purest" style. Best of all, you can get into this one for under $100 on Amazon right now.

An oft-repeated warning: buy this one and it will not be your last. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

My other recommendation, if you want to spend a few more bucks, is look for the 5610U model which is for sale at various Japanese dealers online. The U is the new version which has much-improved lighting and features such as showing the current time of day while a timer/stopwatch is running, a feature I realized is important to me.

Join us! :sneaky:
That’s all good info to have. Several versions look very similar and it’s hard for me to tell the difference. The 5600 vs the 5610 and the 5900 and 5610u.

You’re mentioning of the 5610u was the first I’d heard of the new one that’s apparently only sold in Japan currently. I like the idea of changes you’ve mention for the u version. Although, not sure how keen I am from purchasing from a Japanese retailer. Something about my package crops the ocean scares me. I’d hate to lose one in the drink. Any dealers for the U worth mentioning? When will they release to the US?

Ken

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
That’s all good info to have. Several versions look very similar and it’s hard for me to tell the difference. The 5600 vs the 5610 and the 5900 and 5610u.

You’re mentioning of the 5610u was the first I’d heard of the new one that’s apparently only sold in Japan currently. I like the idea of changes you’ve mention for the u version. Although, not sure how keen I am from purchasing from a Japanese retailer. Something about my package crops the ocean scares me. I’d hate to lose one in the drink. Any dealers for the U worth mentioning? When will they release to the US?

Ken
Don't be afraid, Chino, Sakura, Seiya, etc., they're all trustworthy. I think the 5610U should be available on Amazon after some time, not sure about local ADs. As a one and only square I'd suggest thinking long and hard about the GW-5000U, I'd hate to see you repeat the same mistake as I did; the basic, half-metal, full-metal, Ti, I tried so many, only to realize the GW-5k was the one for me after all.

·
Registered
SBDC051, SPB179, SRPB51
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A newcomer enters the arena*
But really, another model that looks exactly like the other with a U and a few more letters/numbers at the end. I’m going to guess that another Japanese model.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts

Ken
I agree with what @kritameth said: there are several Japanese sellers who are trustworthy, and will often get you your product faster than some domestic sellers! I've used Seiya, Sakura, and a few others, and never lost one on the way.

The "U" versions are probably not going to be available in the US for quite a while. A recent article on a G-Shock fan blog said the US domestic chain is filled with non-U versions, so those need to be cleared out first.

Reactions: JustAbe

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Something about my package crops the ocean scares me. I’d hate to lose one in the drink.
lol youre joking right? theyre not precariously hanging out of a messenger's backpack as he paddles across the pacific! 🤣
take it from a shopaholic who buys almost purely from OS, its not going to get lost in the drink. if anything itll get lost by your local carrier once its landed! or stolen en route 😬

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
A newcomer enters the arena*
But really, another model that looks exactly like the other with a U and a few more letters/numbers at the end. I’m going to guess that another Japanese model.
Fair enough, I can see how this can get confusing.

The GW-5000U and the GW-M5610U have the same inner module, so they work the same-- the main difference is that the 5000 has a steel inner case and a harder outside coating, while the 5610 is all resin (plastic). Because of that, the pricing is very different between the models despite the watch functions being identical.

People often recommend the 5000U because it's made of the higher-end materials and is the "ultimate" version of that G-Shock 'experience.'

Here's a site that explains Casio's numbering system. The numbers at the end of the model number denote the color of the watch where the piece is meant for sale along with a few other things. "-1JF" means it's black and sold in Japan. You'll see other Casios with "ER" (European market) or "CF" (all International model). You'll also hear Japanese models also referred to as "JDM" for "Japanese Domestic Market."

Once you get used to seeing how Casio sets up its model numbers it'll be easy to discern between them.

·
Registered
Rolex Fanboys > G shock Cultists
2,362 Posts
You will eventually get the GW-5000!! So get the GW-5000U-1JF and save money and time and get it for $280 from Japan. 😉😊
View attachment 16173812
+1 for the GW5000U and a +1 for its predecessor the GW5000. Although it seems like people favor the uniform backlight of the GW5000 than the uneven white backlight on the GW5000U they're both outstanding choices.
Watch Rectangle Clock Gadget Communication Device

1 - 20 of 35 Posts