WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
+1 for the GW5000U and a +1 for its predecessor the GW5000. Although it seems like people favor the uniform backlight of the GW5000 than the uneven white backlight on the GW5000U they're both outstanding choices.
View attachment 16174644
I've found nothing "uneven" about the white backlight on my 5610U, which uses the same module as the 5000U.

Watch Clock Gadget Material property Wrist

• Wow
Reactions: Ottovonn

·
Registered
179 Posts
I’m relatively new to the work of Casio g-shock watches. I’ve been looking and picked up a new DW-9052 with the woven band. Added a GA-2100 the other day and think it’s pretty neat.

All that said…. What g-shock should I absolutely add to my collection? Bonus points for folks who tell me why.

All the best,
Ken
For me, it was the Rangeman 9400 and a Mudmaster (take your pick, I liked the GG-1000).

The Rangeman is a classic, though it is a bit ridiculous in a good way. Anyone who appreciates watches gives it the respect it deserves, even if they're wearing something that costs 20x the price.

The Mudmaster range, in digi-analog, looks fantastic. The GWG-1000 has it all.

Another to consider is "The King", the GX-56. It is MASSIVE, but that's the whole point. I'm holding out for a reasonably-priced GXW-56 (positive display, multiband 6), as I found the negative display of the GX-56 to be impossible to read.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
SBDC051, SPB179, SRPB51
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Fair enough, I can see how this can get confusing.

The GW-5000U and the GW-M5610U have the same inner module, so they work the same-- the main difference is that the 5000 has a steel inner case and a harder outside coating, while the 5610 is all resin (plastic). Because of that, the pricing is very different between the models despite the watch functions being identical.

People often recommend the 5000U because it's made of the higher-end materials and is the "ultimate" version of that G-Shock 'experience.'

Here's a site that explains Casio's numbering system. The numbers at the end of the model number denote the color of the watch where the piece is meant for sale along with a few other things. "-1JF" means it's black and sold in Japan. You'll see other Casios with "ER" (European market) or "CF" (all International model). You'll also hear Japanese models also referred to as "JDM" for "Japanese Domestic Market."

Once you get used to seeing how Casio sets up its model numbers it'll be easy to discern between them.
Very good info on that site. Thanks for think link. The more I look, the more I’m leaning towards the gw5000. Still researching a bit though before I pull the trigger. My ga-2100 came in the mail today so it’s scratching the inch for the next few days. Really wanting a square in my collection though.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Casio G-Shock DW-5600MS (on DW-5600E bezel and GW-5000 band)
2,341 Posts
The "U" versions are probably not going to be available in the US for quite a while. A recent article on a G-Shock fan blog said the US domestic chain is filled with non-U versions, so those need to be cleared out first.
That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. The non-U versions are cheaper and do 95% of what the U versions do.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree with what @kritameth said: there are several Japanese sellers who are trustworthy, and will often get you your product faster than some domestic sellers! I've used Seiya, Sakura, and a few others, and never lost one on the way.

The "U" versions are probably not going to be available in the US for quite a while. A recent article on a G-Shock fan blog said the US domestic chain is filled with non-U versions, so those need to be cleared out first.
Not true though, I bought a gwm5610 from Amazon at 98 bucks end of last month, but when I got it I saw that it was the U version, slightly disappointed cause I wanted the discontinued version but oh well, after wearing it for a while the new features feel great and it feels almost like nothing on your wrist!

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Not true though, I bought a gwm5610 from Amazon at 98 bucks end of last month, but when I got it I saw that it was the U version, slightly disappointed cause I wanted the discontinued version but oh well, after wearing it for a while the new features feel great and it feels almost like nothing on your wrist!
You are in Singapore and ordered from Amazon US?

·
Registered
SBDC051, SPB179, SRPB51
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
You are in Singapore and ordered from Amazon US?
I think, after much research, I'm going to buy the 5160u. I fought back and fourth about it or the 5000u. Honestly, I like the idea of my g-shock collection being the resin models. I think it's part of the "charm".

Stupid question... Does yours have the inverted LCD? I assume it's not but wanted to validate as your back light is on.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I think, after much research, I'm going to buy the 5160u. I fought back and fourth about it or the 5000u. Honestly, I like the idea of my g-shock collection being the resin models. I think it's part of the "charm".

Stupid question... Does yours have the inverted LCD? I assume it's not but wanted to validate as your back light is on.
I think you mean the 5610U ;).

Mine is the standard issue positive display. I don’t like the negative displays.

Watch Analog watch Gesture Finger Clock

Reactions: Viseguy

·
Registered
SBDC051, SPB179, SRPB51
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I think you mean the 5610U ;).

Mine is the standard issue positive display. I don’t like the negative displays.

View attachment 16179666

I guess I'm confused. I thought the 5600u was made with both positive and negative displays and yours was a 5600u with a positive display.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I guess I'm confused. I thought the 5600u was made with both positive and negative displays and yours was a 5600u with a positive display.

My watch is a GW-M5610U with a positive display.

The 5610U and the 5600U have the same module (inner workings) but different case and strap. My photo above (with the watch lit up) is meant to illustrate that the module in both the 5600U and 5610U does not have "uneven illumination."

·
Registered
SBDC051, SPB179, SRPB51
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
My watch is a GW-M5610U with a positive display.

The 5610U and the 5600U have the same module (inner workings) but different case and strap. My photo above (with the watch lit up) is meant to illustrate that the module in both the 5600U and 5610U does not have "uneven illumination."

Ahhh gotcha. I understand now. Thanks for the clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
You have some good G-Shocks right now. I think every G-Shock watch collection should have a square in it. But some folks find out they don't like the square models. If you are on the fence about a square model I would suggest you look at the DW-5600E. You can pick these up for cheap and Walmarts and Targets have them for sale so you can try befoe you buy. The DW-5600E has been made since 1996 and while it has gotten a new module (that still looks like the old one) a while back to bump up the calendar year range, it still looks the same as the 1996 model. If you like the square then you can look into a GW-5000 or GW-5000U.

If you don't want to spend the $300+ on a GW-5000 or GW-5000U, look for a used one. The nice thing about the GW-5000/5000U (and other squares) is a new bezel and strap (which are easy to find) will make the watch look new again

21 - 35 of 35 Posts