WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not found a similar thread yet but I have to ask: What are your must-have quartz watches?

The usual roster would be:

Seiko Tuna
Bulova Moon Watch
Timed Weekender or Waterbury

What else?

·
Registered
36,280 Posts
Any G-Shock......at least one for the Apocalypse.

DW-5600BB With GW-5000 & GWX-5600

Most robust watches made, bar none

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
LOL, yup...gotta have a G-Shock. For me, its the Rangeman. I have it incoming as my early Christmas present from my wife (sadly not the carbon fiber band version pictured below, but still stoked!). I'll have it by Monday.

·
Registered
10,859 Posts
My list is going to skew heavily multi-function:

Bulova UHF Military Chronograph 96B231_1.jpg
Everyone should have a Bulova Preciionist. I'm fond of the chronographs, but they're all good (UHF Military pictured.) High accuracy/smooth sweep with different functions per movement.

Maverick Dual Time 5.jpg
VSA Maverick: This is the "watch that looks like a million bucks" option that just happens to be quartz. The big date, dual time version is a particular bargain (around $160 USD on sale, and fit, finish and bracelet give $500 watches a serious run for their money.)

vsa_chrono_classic_xls_241445.jpg

Another VSA, but as a bit of a placeholder. This is a Chrono Classic XLS with an ETA 251.262, and I highly recommend the movement as a premium quartz with excellent mechanical feel. Honorable mention goes to the Seiko VK63/64 Mecaquartz. It adds a great flyback feature but loses the travel-frliendly quick-set hour hand of the ETA (a surprisingly nice feature.) I just don't have a specific Mecaquartz to recommend. Seiko seems unable to really capitalize on one of their best movements and 3rd parties are all over the place.

MDV106-blnato-whiteredstripe.jpg

And of course, the Casio MDV-106. The stinking best value in a <$50 watch.

Honorable mention goes to watches with the Ronda 5040.d movement (excellent chrono with a 12-hour maximum timing feature), Citizen Eco-Drives (too many to count, but solar is a very nice feature) and the Casio MTD-1079/1080 series as a strong competitor for the MDV-106 in the <$100 range (most around $70-80.) You lose the screw-down crown but gain much better detailing on the dial, a day-date and a super illuminator feature.)

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
Hamilton Ventura (latest design, last year's release) - because it's a unique look with plenty of cinematic history, and very smartly updated to modern sensibilities without excess:

P9250536.jpg

Next, the Autodromo Prototipo Chrongraph, because the fit and finish on these is mind-bogglingly good:

P7290373.jpg

And finally, the Citizen Nighthawk, because it's the best looking tool watch you can get for the price, and it's a solar-powered GMT to boot, with a sweet bracelet:

DSC00045.JPG
(old photo)

·
Registered
36,280 Posts

AMW-320

MDV-102 Marlin with light so bright it is a decent flashlight.

MDV-106 Marlin is inexpensive, reliable, accurate and waterproof.....did I mention very inexpensive?

MTD-1080-8 Illuminator

2 bright LED bulbs

EF-503 x 4

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
IMG_20161122_033426.jpg
As Mr_blonde says, the Bulova Moon Watch.
As turnkrucher mentions, it does wear quite small for a 45mm.
Apologies for the poor quality picture, the dial is actually a beautiful deep black with white print.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Some of my favourites.

Momentum Base Layer, really nice sandwich dial and lovely curved shaped case contours to the wrist nicely, recently put a Hirsch Pure band on it and it is now perfect.

0639_zpskovzdkts.jpg

and another vote for the Edifice 503 or any Edifice for that matter, cracking value for money.

0409.jpg

Seiko do some nice Quartz, Japanese quartz reliability and Seiko quality, this one is about 11 years old and still works perfectly after only one battery change.

·
Banned
7,741 Posts
I'm gonna have to say the Victorinox Inox. It looks great, it's under $250 almost all the time and is by far the most rugged watch I have ever own. I have put mine thru a ton of drops, bangs against stuff, submerged in water and various other forms of torture and it's still going. If and when it fails I will buy another the same day.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Some great tool watches here, so I will go in a different direction. Go find a vintage Seiko Grand Quartz 9443 from 1979-1980. Beautiful cases and dials and a high-accuracy Quartz movement for often under $250. Here is my favorite, the 9443-8000 with stepped indices that the minute hand passes through.

IMG_4491.JPG

For contemporary and pure fun, the Vratislavia Conceptum Heritage Chrono. So many cool designs!

IMG_4492.JPG IMG_4493.JPG

1 - 20 of 38 Posts