WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted previously that I finally figured out my watch themes and strategy: 2 dress watches, 2 9-to-5 watches, and 3 weekend/hangout watches. Each of those last 3 represents one of my interests: motoring, aviation, and space.

A little late [*] it occurred to me that I needed a Summer collection as well. I've read this here, in numerous fashion publications, and also Worn & Wound. Any excuse to expand my watch collection, right? :) But I do see the point of simple (uncomplicated), lightweight, and colorful watches for this season.

But dressy occasions don't really allow for fun [**] and neither does my work environment. That leaves my 3 weekenders as the only candidates to receive Summer replacements. Which means my Summer watches must also fit the road/air/space theme. However, space/astronaut watches are hard to come by (in my price range), and more to the point, they aren't the simple whimsical timepieces needed on the wrist in Summer. So I fudged this point and sought out a dive watch instead. Both the sea and space involve major pressure differentials and a lack of oxygen, so close enough!

Also, I wanted to stick with beach colors, since that's my favorite place to be in the Summer. That means khaki color for sand, orange for the sun, and blue for the water and sky. (Arguably green belongs here too, but the worst company I ever worked for had green as their company color, so to Hell with green.) From my honeymoon in Negril (Jamaica):

Lastly, I stuck with affordables. As I posted elsewhere, it seems you can only find a broader color palette here or in high-end watches. The mid-range is comprised almost entirely of black, white, silver, and the odd blue dials.

All of the above led me to...

Motoring: Seiko "5" SNZH71, the "piston" posted here (thanks WUS!).

Aviation: Seiko "5" SNZG07, the khaki variant of the "military" watches reported here.

Diver: Orient "Mako XL" FEM75002DW, everyone loves a Mako, and IMO the XL model has a cleaner bezel and overall look.

Here they are out of the box:

But these weren't quite right for Summer out of the box IMO. I felt some new straps were in order. So I bought a leather NATO for the motoring watch, a Super NATO for the pilot watch, and a blue rubber (not silicon) strap for the diver:

I picked Summer colors for the straps as well, ones to complement their respective watches. Leather seemed like a better watch for the automotive theme. The new NATO for the pilot watch is smoother than the stock canvas strap. I picked rubber for the diver since I plan to use this in the pool and at the beach.

What do you think? What would you have done differently? I'm new to having Summer-specific watches so your feedback is welcome. As budget permits, I won't stop here in future Summers.

NB

[*] I'm late to the Summer season (which started on 5/24), which is not the same as the Summer Solstice (6/21). I'm only slightly late to the Solstice, but rather late to the "season" which is the more important one here.

[**] We commoners have the play by the "rules." When we try to break them we're regarded as either nerds or escaped mental patients. Only the Richard Bransons of the world get to do what they want, wear what they want whenever they want, and so on. If you don't agree, more power to you!

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Very nicely done.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why not the orange bezel Mako "Planet Orient"?
Interesting idea. The dial is a little busy for Summer IMO, but if you like it, go for it!

Had no idea that watches were seasonal.
It's up to the wearer. There are plenty of people, even here on WUS, that wear the same ones year 'round. None of this is "right" or "wrong."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Great choices. I hadn't thought of beige. Now I'm intrigued. I always thought the blue Mako XL was darker. I've now added it to my list.

And watches are definitely seasonal if you live/work where it's either nasty out in the winter or where bright colors are frowned upon in the workplace!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A couple of questions:

What other choices are there for Khaki (Sand) NATO's? These are the only others I've found, and I don't care for either one.

http://www.crownandbuckle.com/straps-by-color/striped-nylon/black-sand-nato-22mm.html

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/access...aki-brown-white-nato-g10-military-nylon-strap

Also, can you pull off a Summer watch for a dressier occasion? I have a red Orient Chicane (one of my first mech. watches) on a red NATO (my first strap replacement).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
168 Posts
Wonderful collection you've started for yourself. It'll be fun to see how things change after a while. Keep us updated on your collection.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Natostrapco.com had several shades of khaki/olive/sand last time I bought there.
And that red is fantastic. I don't know what your "dress watch" need is. If you're a lawyer or CEO on a TV interview, maybe not. Otherwise, probably. I love that strap.
Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts