WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.

I posted this on another forum and thought I'd post it over here too.

I picked up a lightly used 2254.50 a couple of months ago and love it. Previous owner said it was bought in 2005 and never serviced (red dot still intact) so I figured I was probably looking down the barrel of having it serviced sooner or later – preferably later.

Now, I’m not a stickler for accuracy, especially considering my poor eyesight, but after I had it for a couple of weeks I thought I would time it over a 7 day period. Nothing scientific - just wear it as I would any daily wearer - maybe giving it 1 or 2 days off (not consecutively) and putting it in the position I normally do at night which is crown up. Watch was on a leather strap. After the 7 days I found the watch to be approx. -5 seconds /day. Very acceptable for my purposes – especially considering the watch is approx. 4 years old and has never been serviced.

I then timed it for another week while it was on a nato strap and it slowed to approx. -10 seconds a day! Absolutely no real difference in day-to-day wear compared to before except for the strap change. I then switched back to a leather strap and it’s back to approx. -4 to -5 sec. a day.

Could the difference between the 2 be in the amount of body heat transferred to the watch? With the regular strap the watch head sits directly on the wrist & with the nato there is a piece of material between the watch & wrist. Could that make a difference? BTW, it has been a pretty cold winter here in CT.

Any thoughts?

Also, regarding positional accuracy & deviation, is there one position at rest for the 2892/A2 that yields a faster deviation than others?

Thanks.

dave

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
I thought that it might be about the way the watch moves on you arm or its position. A NATO strap tend to hold a watch very solidly while a bracelet tends to move more and, unless very carefully set up, can hold the watch in a different position.

Does the watch sit differently?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Try resting the watch in a different position each night and check the relative difference each morning. Not all movements are created equally. You might find a night time resting position that'll make it run fast and compensate a bit. Have fun.

Glen

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try resting the watch in a different position each night and check the relative difference each morning. Not all movements are created equally. You might find a night time resting position that'll make it run fast and compensate a bit. Have fun.

Glen
Hi Glen.

Sorry to hear about your Stowa. Hopefully it will either show up or the matter will be resolved somehow. Either way I'll be on the lookout for it just in case!

Like I said B4, I'm not a stickler for accuracy but I would like to find a position that may compensate a bit. Right now it looks like dial up might give me the most + compensation.

We'll see.

I thought that it might be about the way the watch moves on you arm or its position. A NATO strap tend to hold a watch very solidly while a bracelet tends to move more and, unless very carefully set up, can hold the watch in a different position.

Does the watch sit differently?
Thanks for the thought.

I don't wear a bracelet and I wear both the nato & leather strap about the same - not tight but not loose - tight enough where the watch will still move around on the top of my wrist a little without leaving the top.

Someone else suggested that the tension exerted by the different straps might account for the difference, but again, the tension to the watch should be the same based on how I wear it with each strap.

I think I'll stick to my body heat theory for now. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
141 Posts
All the movements really are differnt in thier characteristics..

Why not get the cosc ticket for the watch? it does now cost a little for the admin (this will set off a number of gripes I'm sure) I have mine (freebie) and it is so helpful in self regulating my 2254.50. the temp makes a difference too. and the practical actions with the watch really do equate to the cosc findings.....somewhat reassuring!

Mine gains a couple of secs (3)while being worn in everday activities, mainly desk diving and pottering about the house,cycling, playing with the kids etc. If left rested crown up it loses a couple of secs(3) overnight. If left face up it stays put, if left 9 up it loses 1 sec...so on and so forth.

Your watch will have it's own idiosynchrasies I'm sure, have fun monitoring it and I'm sure you'll find a pattern to allow you to self regulate and have a bet with yourself to keep it in check.

I have not reset mine for ages (having got the hands all in synch and perfect) just the quickset date adjust when needed, right now I'm -1 secs against the clock and tonight it'll be +/0 and rested face up, tomorrow it'll gain another second and a bit and will be rested crown up, that will put it -2 overnight and almost spot on again.

Temp makes a diff, this is born out again by the cosc ticket, the high temp at 38 degrees makes a raft of difference between the 23 degrees and the low of 8. The mean variation shown on the cosc is well within the tolerences but it does make a diff.

Sorry for allthe waffle, but I hope this motivates you to experiment and keep a log.......or shell-out and the the cosc and play:-! this will guarantee only 1 thing, you will be accused of OCDo|

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Hi Glen.

Sorry to hear about your Stowa. Hopefully it will either show up or the matter will be resolved somehow. Either way I'll be on the lookout for it just in case!

Like I said B4, I'm not a stickler for accuracy but I would like to find a position that may compensate a bit. Right now it looks like dial up might give me the most + compensation.

We'll see.

Thanks for the thought.

I don't wear a bracelet and I wear both the nato & leather strap about the same - not tight but not loose - tight enough where the watch will still move around on the top of my wrist a little without leaving the top.

Someone else suggested that the tension exerted by the different straps might account for the difference, but again, the tension to the watch should be the same based on how I wear it with each strap.

I think I'll stick to my body heat theory for now. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Thanks.

Dave
Dave,
Thanks for the kind words on the Stowa...I am sick about it and furious at FedEx. This will pass over time and perhaps Joerg can do something about creating another, but they are a busy company and just because I am a loyal customer with genuine enthusiasm for the Stowa family I understand it's most likely not possible for them due to their own time constrants. I'd be grateful it were possible to recreate #16 however... we'll see.

You don't need to get the COSC certification for that watch. It has Chronometer on the face. If you really rather not experiment, once the watch is at a full wind, take it into a watchmaker's shop and ask to have it put it on their timegrapher to see the relative differences in positional vairance. That will make it so you don't have experiment each evening...;-)

Glen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts