WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because its an older watch I check the timing on this pretty regularly. I've been noticing it losing time if it sits unworn for more than 12-15 hours, especially if not dial up.
This bad, right? Especially for a watch that had a cleaning and service 3 months ago. A local guy did it for me and said it was pretty dirty, but was able to clean it up, oil it and regulate it. Guess I'll be going back to him to see what he thinks, but not sure I want him tinkering with it further.

I fully wound it by hand 48 hours ago, checked at 24, 36 and 48 hours. But hey, at least the PR is good.

On the other hand, if worn every day it keeps about +2spd.

Next I am probably going to do the same test and leave it in a different position and see what I get.

·
Premium Member
36,195 Posts
That is quite the variance for positions. Weird.

Hopefully it will settle down, otherwise if it was mine and continued to vary in accuracy, it would be time to go back in for another inspection and possible further servicing.

This would really bug me as well, so I know where you are coming from.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
13,178 Posts
+2 spd when worn is very good. I would test the positional variance using Timegrapher or by letting it sit over night fully wound in different positions until you find a position with the least loss/gain. Knowing the positional variance you can self regulate the watch to speed it up or slow it down when not on your wrist.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ Yep, I usually do that with all my watches to figure out how to best self regulate. Thing is, dial up is the best position for this one, or has been. Of late it's been running slower overnight when left dial up, which led me to this little test. This sort of thing is what led me to get it serviced in January, so I'll be taking it back to him Tuesday to check out. And agree, first thing to do is have him check positions on the timegrapher. Thankfully there is a 1 year warranty on the work.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Seems like maybe anisochronism? Was the main spring replaced during service or was it just a clean and lube?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure what that is, but the main spring wasn't replaced as far as I know, just cleaned and lubed. Very strange how this keeps such good time when worn and sits for 8-10 hours, but sitting any more than that it slows down so much. I'm taking it back to the shop that worked on it tomorrow I think, so we'll see. At the very least he can put it on the timegrapher in different positions and check that out for me.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Not sure what that is, but the main spring wasn't replaced as far as I know, just cleaned and lubed. Very strange how this keeps such good time when worn and sits for 8-10 hours, but sitting any more than that it slows down so much. I'm taking it back to the shop that worked on it tomorrow I think, so we'll see. At the very least he can put it on the timegrapher in different positions and check that out for me.
Will it run for its full rated PR if you wind it up fully and leave it? Or is it stalling out well short?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will it run for its full rated PR if you wind it up fully and leave it? Or is it stalling out well short?
It does run the full PR if I hand wind it and I leave it sit.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've worn it the past couple of days, including cutting the grass on a riding mower last night. 1st day, +6 in the morning. Checked it this morning, +30 seconds in 24 hours. I am going back to the shop with it Friday morning. Thankfully I have a year warranty on the work, but despite that I will likely see if partial refund is an option. If so, I'll send it to Omega or Nesbit for another service.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've heard from my watch shop and they are waiting on a new mainspring from Omega. I have not talked to them further about this to understand why this was needed since they said it was done during the original service in January. I supposed maybe they messed it up during that? Hopefully it'll all be sorted and I'll have it back in the next couple of weeks. I miss it.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Picking up my baby tonight hopefully! :)

Reactions: NMGE17 and duc

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I picked it up last night and talked to the tech at length, who said he has never worked so hard to get one watch right. The hairspring was replaced during the service in January (along with cleaning, seals etc), and this time the mainspring and balance bridge(?) were ordered from Omega and replaced. He then regulated it of course and monitored it for several days. Great, should be good to go now!?

Brought it home set it to NIST time, wore it a little and set it down overnight dial up. Checked it this morning and it's 4 seconds slow already. So disappointed. I am going to wear it today and see how it varies being worn a couple of days and then sitting tonight again.

If it continues to be slow, now what? Go back to him and have him try to tweak the regulation? I am not sure I want to risk further tinkering. I paid this guy $300 and basically have a new movement, which is great, but it's still not keeping time within spec. Or at this point should I send it off to Nesbit or Omega to have it fully sorted?

·
Registered
12,785 Posts
Hopefully it will fare better on the wrist and maybe in some other overnight resting positions.

Was it well wound before it’s sleep last night?

Best of luck!

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's hoping. Yes I wound it fully when I set it last night. In fact, I wound it until it clicked slightly, which is a new thing for this watch/movement. So far worn today it appears to still be losing a bit of time, but a few hours isn't really a good indication.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well not much better resting crown down. It lost less time than dial up though, and is averaging -12spd. I wound it a little and am trying it crown up now for 12 hours or so and will check again. If it is consistently losing 12-13 seconds regardless of position, that would suggest it needs further regulation I think, right?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts