WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my 2nd Zlatoust 191-ЧС watch from Germany.

(Yes, I'm crazy to get a 2nd one. I actually bid but lost in 2 other auctions after winning this 2nd Zlat diver as the other 2 auctions came with the original straps and papers !!) :-d

There are some strange differences between my 2 Zlatoust divers.

I know there's 2 versions of the case, 1 beveled and 1 rounded. From what I read, the case was manufactured in batches by other manufacturers, therefore there are some variations of the case.

But as displayed below, there are other differences, like the crown tube, location of the serial number which makes me wonder if I'm holding on to an original Zlat diver. :think:

The left is my latest Zlat diver with strap (Zlat A), the right is my earlier Zlat without the original strap (Zlat B).

Side by side, not much of differences

Zlat A

Zlat B

Close up of both Zlat divers, notice the screws at 4 & 10 o'clock are bigger for Zlat A and the crown tube and the chain are different too.

Back view, now Zlat A has the serial number located near the crown and has a rounded edge at the back and Zlat B like most other Zlat has the serial number perpendicular to the crown.

Side view, they look almost alike, except in the crown tube of Zlat A, there's some kind of silicone gel filling.

From this shot, Zlat A looks yellowish, no light tricks, it's looks more used and I guess it comes from a smoker. The whole package and the watch strap has a strong tobacco smell. No offense to any smokers, it's just my observation.

Here's the comparison of the crown tube and the crown stem. It's totally different ! I have seen quite a few Zlat divers and this is a first !

A close up of the thicker crown tube and the silicone filling.

What most Zlat divers crown tube looks like.

A final note, there seems to be 2 types of straps too, 1 that looks like it's stapled together. (I wonder how can it hold the watch).

E.g http://www.russiandiving.co.uk/Instruments.shtml

And another strap with rivets like buttons like mine. I saw the same kind of straps on the other equipments like the depth gauge and compass.

290416288186 - eBay auction for the compass.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Very interesting! It seems that the "round-edge" version has a totally different crown tube, with thicker threads and no screws.

Also, did you say that the watches were made by different factories? This is very important, as it would explain a lot of things (including the birth of the post-Soviet reissues).

I'm very happy, because in the last year this forum has discovered things that were not very clear till now, about this type of watch .

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very interesting! It seems that the "round-edge" version has a totally different crown tube, with thicker threads and no screws.

Also, did you say that the watches were made by different factories? This is very important, as it would explain a lot of things (including the birth of the post-Soviet reissues).

I'm very happy, because in the last year this forum has discovered things that were not very clear till now, about this type of watch .
What I meant was the case was manufactured in different batches, which could have explained that differences in the case.

With much care, I managed to remove the hands and dial as I was unable to remove the winding stem.

As shown here,

the screw head is slightly damaged already.

Top view.

A closer look at the thicker crown tube and the different chain.

As for my earlier Zlat diver, I managed to unscrew and remove the winding stem, photos follow:

Dial

Movement

Trying to zoom into this small logo, I think I saw it somewhere. I post if I recall anything.

The 1 piece case

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks ! :-d

Also to add on, the previous watch owner bought it off along with the original sturmanskie from a Russian soldier after the fall of USSR.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I took both huge chunk of metal for a ultra-sonic bath and I decided to note the differences between them.

"Body without a soul" :)

I noticed the bezel shape is different and the threading securing the bezel is different in size too and there's some welding stains or marks around the winding stem area.

Zlat B (right) has a taller bezel with a little groove near the edge

Zlat A (left) has lesser and wider threads

As you can see from the following photos, besides a movement change, there's some modification to the case internals.

Burnt marks with some cuts, if you looked at the previous Zlat B photos, there's no groove above hole for the winding stem.

Well the seller has shared with me that he bought the watch from a Russian during 1982 and he brought it to his watchmaker to clean, oil and re-seal it, so either his watchmaker swapped the movement or it was changed even earlier in Russia.

Measures
Finally, I took some measurement to compare between these two versions.

Again, I will refer the rounded back as Zlat A and the beveled back as Zlat B.

Zlat A Measurements:
Case width without crown - 59.68
Case width with crown tube - 66
Case width with crown - 77.5
Case height with bezel - 17.65
Case height without bezel - 14.5

Crown height - 15
Crown width - 16.5

Bezel width - 59.6
Bezel height - 7
Bezel opening width - 48.5

Zlat B Measurements:
Case width without crown - 59.69
Case width with crown tube - 63.5
Case width with crown - 78.55
Case height with bezel - 19
Case height without bezel - 15.21

Crown height - 17.5
Crown width - 16

Bezel width - 59.5
Bezel height - 7.35
Bezel opening width - 49

More comparison photos

Crown and crown tube difference, there's a screw in the Zlat B crown

Zlat A with a flat and rounded edge back

Zlat B with beveled back, different location for the serial number

Zlat A has a longer winding stem, due to the longer crown tube

Zlat A has wider yet shorter crown

Zlat B's case, bezel, rubber gasket, gasket ring (??)

All taken apart, there should be 1 more gasket between the bezel and the crystal

Gasket ring with a groove (I don't know if I named the part correctly, do correct me)

Rubber gasket with the same fitting groove

It fits !

I made a silly mistake here, :eek: I forgot how it should be assembled back, the gasket or the ring first. :head:

Which side of the gasket should face up ?

Looks correct for me to fit in the crystal

Thanks for reading !

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Cool post!

What a monster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts