WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just wanted to share my current 3 watch (auto) collection (my others watches are all quartz)

I have always belonged in this category and loved the affordable's value for money.

But then, Ive been thinkin to move up to higher tier brands (like tudor especially bb58) but these 3 have filled my everyday needs (the hammy for office/everyday, the skx for sports and other outdoor activities and the sarb for more formal occasions) though all of them for me are GADA watches and can fulfill all functions. Also what i love about them is that they are all very accurate. The hammy +0.5 sec/day, the skx ~+2.5 sec/day and the sarb being the least accurate but don't mind since mostly used for special occasions ~ -8sec/day.

Unfortunately, getting the bb58 means flipping all these 3 to help finance it. But im worried that when i buy for example a bb58 i might not have that same satisfying feeling and if it would fulfill the things these 3 have done which is why ive always held off getting one. Have you had that feeling? Any suggestions?

If youve been there, any regrets?

Thanks for the time and suggestions in advance

Marv
Watch Analog watch Photograph Light Rectangle

·
Registered
182 Posts
To me that’s almost the perfect 3 watch collection! Field, dive and dress. Just my two cents but I think you should keep them and just save a little longer for the big purchase. How much would you really get for those 3 used anyway? In my mind it’d be worth more to keep them.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Don't let those go. Keep saving and get the BB58 without selling them.

·
Premium Member
5,829 Posts
Last year, I flipped a handful of affordables. The goal was to slim down a collection that had mushroomed to nearly 25 autos/mechanicals and to get me part of the way to a Grand Seiko SBGE255.

It all worked out for the best. I purchased the GS and love it and I’ve instituted a one in/one out rule to keep my collection to 13 watches.

I think the BB58 is a great watch but the three you currently own are iconic in the subcategory of affordables. Tough call.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You have a great 3 watch automatic collection! I understand the desire to going more upscale. I suggest you see a BB58 in person and try on as your first step. I took the same approach before purchasing an Omega moonwatch and I'm glad I did. As you suggested, the moonwatch was not as satisfying or as special as I hoped. I'll continue to save until I have another upscale watch I'm interested in, and I'll see it in person before pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies.. I think ill go the surefire route and just keep the three then save up for the BB58.

Btw, here's an updated pic of the 3 autos with my 3 casio (which i equally love as all my watches are carefully thought out purchases for me) though i think these are also somewhat GADA watches as i wear them occasionally during office meetings 😊

Marv

·
Registered
122 Posts
Any reason why all so far are black with the date feature? I love that Hamilton model, especially with the red tip on the seconds hand. A while back I was looking for a vintage Mil-spec Hamilton processor to yours but gave up without buying.

·
Premium Member
10,003 Posts
Glad you came to a decision you can live with. :)

I just put 4 watches up for sale myself to be revenue neutral in buying new watches. I had to make a decision about them based on wrist time and the 4 I have up just don't get any time any more. When you get your Tudor, you may find that you can more easily let go of one or more of your current watches because it becomes your do-everything watch. For me that was my Sinn 757UTC. My other auto chronos just sit in the watch box nearly all of the time.

Good luck with your saving toward the Tudor!

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I am late to this party but I agree with everyone here. Do not sell any of them and save up for that Tudor Black Bay 58. It might become slightly redundant with the SKX but there is nothing wrong with having such a cool backup black dial diver.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I can't say I have had the same thoughts about selling my collection in favor of 1 very expensive watch that could do it all. With your collection I wouldn't do anything with it because as others have already said they are all iconic.

I still remember going to an Omega AD in the mall and chatting with one of the associates about one day owning an Omega Speedmaster. I had seen and tried out a few of their watches, but other than the history and the highly decorated movements there was nothing else that the watches did for me that my $500 and less watches could do. The thought of wearing such an expensive watch and worrying about it doesn't appeal to me either.

You have a nice well rounded collection and I don't think a single expensive watch could replace the versatility your collection already offers.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I agree with the others. You have a great collection and I think you would miss the watches if you sold all of them for a BB58. I’ve recently moved up in price to get a few luxury watches, and they are nice, but I still wear and really appreciate the watches that I started out with (including an SKX, Hamilton, and SARB) - they are great watches for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
464 Posts
Definitely try on the BB58 first. I thought I loved it based on pics but in person it's just fine. I bet you'd be just as happy with these 3 and then you won't have all your eggs in one basket if you lose the BB58.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Damn, that Engineer bracelet looks great on your SKX. Don’t see them around here as much and wish more watches came with them.

Oh yeah, keep these 3 watches like everyone has said :) Hope you can try out the BB58 soon too.

·
Registered
Casio F-91W
1,303 Posts
You have 6 watches. What
Btw, here's an updated pic of the 3 autos with my 3 casio (which i equally love as all my watches are carefully thought out purchases for me) though i think these are also somewhat GADA watches as i wear them occasionally during office meetings 😊

Marv

View attachment 15984503
6 watches there which means you still need 1 on your wrist. All the more reason to save up for the BB58.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is a well consistent collection (obviously you thought carefully about it). I agree with everybody, I am not sure that selling them would bring you much closer to buying the Tudor. The SARB033 might give you a good return (I just sold a SARB035 for a good price, I'm not a flipper, I loved the watch but it didn't correspond to me so I was not wearing it), but I doubt that the Hamilton and SKX would. How much do you expect in terms of resell value?
I don't think that the SKX and the Tudor are redundant. The SKX is a beater, the Tudor is appropriate for any context.
Or, sell the SARB (unless you love it) and the Hamilton, keep the SKX as the beater/sport/surfing/DYI watch and buy something that ranges from daily/office/dressy(ish) (Tudor or anything else you fancy). Of course, there's still a difficulty with the SARB which is discontinued and has a high value on the resell market. The Hamilton for me is a no-brainer, still in production, personally, I don't love it and I would use it as a beater (redundant with the SKX).
Considering your current collection, did you have a look at micro/independent? If you like some of the designs, they have very good value offers. I recently bought a Halios and I'm very very happy with it.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts