WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I also think you should keep them. Try on as many watches you can at watch shops to get a idea of what watch does it for you on wrist. It seems like your collection is well thoughtout so keep doing what you're doing to decide the next one.

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
Hi, just wanted to share my current 3 watch (auto) collection (my others watches are all quartz)

I have always belonged in this category and loved the affordable's value for money.

But then, Ive been thinkin to move up to higher tier brands (like tudor especially bb58) but these 3 have filled my everyday needs (the hammy for office/everyday, the skx for sports and other outdoor activities and the sarb for more formal occasions) though all of them for me are GADA watches and can fulfill all functions. Also what i love about them is that they are all very accurate. The hammy +0.5 sec/day, the skx ~+2.5 sec/day and the sarb being the least accurate but don't mind since mostly used for special occasions ~ -8sec/day.

Unfortunately, getting the bb58 means flipping all these 3 to help finance it. But im worried that when i buy for example a bb58 i might not have that same satisfying feeling and if it would fulfill the things these 3 have done which is why ive always held off getting one. Have you had that feeling? Any suggestions?

If youve been there, any regrets?

Thanks for the time and suggestions in advance

Marv View attachment 15984373
Nice watches! Especially the Hamilton. My only issue would be, they are all black.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’ve been in similar positions and sold my beloved watches which I regret now. So , just my 2 cents, don’t sell watches with high wrist times pal ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
730 Posts
It's a great 3 watch set. Honestly as much as I love "higher end" stuff, I am envious of those that can stick with budget watch sets like this. So simple, and does everything a WIS needs. If something goes missing/broken, it doesn't break the bank. Heck, with my current insurance costs I could buy one every year..

Keep asking yourself if you need the BB58 and be patient. Save up some more and if you really want it, pull the trigger. The problem (as you likely already know) is that it makes it easier to uplevel the rest of your collection, so you could be seeing a much more expensive set of watches 5-10 years from now.

Reactions: AMM1959

·
Premium Member
9,001 Posts
If you are not sure the BB58 may be the "one". Then my advice would be to keep your three affordable watches and continue looking for that one watch that could just be the "one" — even if it is no the BB58.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
You've got a formidable collection there! (And that's not just because I also have the same G shock, SARB, and an SKX). I would definitely keep the SARB and the SKX since they're discontinued classics. I still use my SARB as my dress watch. Save up with the goal of the BB58 one day to wither add to the collection or possibly replace the Khaki as your everyday wear. My two cents...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Several years ago I paid 125 euros for a Swatch and I couldn’t believe I was spending that much on a watch. A few years later it was a Tissot for 350 usd. Then a Damasko for 1250. Many of us will gravitate toward more expensive purchases over the years. But your more affordable pieces are a record of where you’ve been. They document your watch collecting history and remind you not to take things too seriously. They remind you that you used to be just as stoked about a 300 dollar watch as you now are about a 3000 dollar watch. So yeah, keep em!

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
I will be the outlier and say sell them all and upgrade. With the caveat to try on in-person whatever you intend to buy.
I like your collection and it could easily serve your needs forever but if you’re thinking about upgrading then they’re already sold, at least in you’re mind.
Go to an AD and try on everything that catches your eye and then buy the one you love. Good luck.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Nice touch with the bracelet on the SKX007! One thing that can tide you over in the interim without too much investment is a bezel swap; I was on the verge of almost never wearing my SKX007, but with a sloping Submariner-style bezel, it now gets more wrist time than the SKX171 that I originally bought to replace it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I’ve been in similar positions and sold my beloved watches which I regret now. So , just my 2 cents, don’t sell watches with high wrist times pal ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Simple but probably the most sensible advice. Because they are affordable watches, they won't stay in a safe for investment. Their purpose is to be worn and you need to like wearing them. So my take at the moment (I don't have any expensive watch) is: if it's not worn and doesn't have any particular sentimental value then I sell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To me that’s almost the perfect 3 watch collection! Field, dive and dress. Just my two cents but I think you should keep them and just save a little longer for the big purchase. How much would you really get for those 3 used anyway? In my mind it’d be worth more to keep them.
Best advice

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
That's a fabulous 3 watch collection! Not only would I advise (as seems to be the consensus here) not selling any of them, but I would go further and question why the need to add anything further at all? That's a question only the OP can answer, but it seems to me one worth asking before determining to save up for an expensive addition.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Any reason why all so far are black with the date feature? I love that Hamilton model, especially with the red tip on the seconds hand. A while back I was looking for a vintage Mil-spec Hamilton processor to yours but gave up without buying.
It just so happens that these models have date features and not that i have specifically chosen them for the date. But i do admit that they do become useful specially when my phone it out of reach. In the office, we measure our work progress thru calendar planning and week numbers hence the casio G7710 with week numbers remain in the stable.

All the best

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
I think you’ll be happy you decided to hold on to these three. Keep saving for the BB58, and who knows maybe your eye will one on something else while your saving.
True, im not fixated on the bb58, it's just that it's the one watch that has that brand pedigree and reputation thats within reach budget wise. (other models im considering are: omega aqua terra, OP 36, tudor 76200 all 39mm below) But sadly the bb58 is hard to find in SRP. Though i dont mind buying used if the condition is right. And the tudor 76200 is not worth the price e many are asking for right now

All the best

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
i SAY keep them and save up!
However, If you are one watch/one genre type of person, then perhaps get rid of the SKX, but ONLY after you have had both and see that SKX needs a better home...
My son has been eyeing the SKX for some time now. I will eventually pass it onto him 😉

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Personally I am always in favor of getting a watch I really want over a number of other watches I want less. But that is because I am not a collector at heart and somewhat of a minimalist. Ultimately it really is a decision only you can make.

If I am being entirely honest, the thing that stands out most to me is that you seem to have bought the absolute forum, youtube, online-community darlings, and are now planning to do the same with the Black Bay 58. There is nothing wrong with that. They are so highly recommended by everyone for a reason. Just make sure you expose yourself to watches and get real life hands on with them before assuming that your personal preferences line up perfectly with those of the WIS hivemind.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I will agree that it's tough for most people to find watches they thoroughly enjoy, so if these three do it for you... "bird in the hand", "grass is greener" and all that.

If you enjoy them, why risk that? Be grateful (for lack of a better word) and get every ounce of enjoyment out of every penny spent on those.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Nice touch with the bracelet on the SKX007! One thing that can tide you over in the interim without too much investment is a bezel swap; I was on the verge of almost never wearing my SKX007, but with a sloping Submariner-style bezel, it now gets more wrist time than the SKX171 that I originally bought to replace it.
View attachment 15984940
I already tried that... Just went back to the classic look. In fact my skx is really skx009... Some pics

21 - 40 of 110 Posts