WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my tag heuer carrera 7 twin time is like 14 seconds behind, like soon as the seconds hand reaches 46 seconds, my quartz watch already has completed one minute
How can I make it more simpler...

Time format ( HH:MM:SS )

If the time is 12:59:46 on my tag heuer,
My quartz watch shows 1:00:00

And if my tag heuer shows 1:00:00
My quartz watch shows 1:01:15

HELP!!!

My dad gave me this watch. :)

P.s for the curious ones, the quartz watch is a Certina DS-2 PreciDrive (Movement : Thermocompensated Quartz ETA 251.264.CEN)

~Thank You~

·
Premium Member
21,706 Posts
Mechanical watches are generally not as accurate as quartz watches, a certain amount of drift each day is considered normal. How long was it between the time you synched the Tag with your quartz watch, and when you noticed the 14 second difference?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Mechanical watches are generally not as accurate as quartz watches, a certain amount of drift each day is considered normal. How long was it between the time you synched the Tag with your quartz watch, and when you noticed the 14 second difference?
I normally strap on my watch as soon as I get up and dressed for the day, (8:00 AM) I noticed it an hour ago,

I am a guy who love perfection and accuracy; if my watch is a few seconds fast or slow... it drives me insane.

P.s I synced it a day ago :)
Is that bad?

At that time it was only 5 seconds slow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
21,706 Posts
I normally strap on my watch as soon as I get up and dressed for the day, (8:00 AM) I noticed it an hour ago,

I am a guy who love perfection and accuracy; if my watch is a few seconds fast or slow... it drives me insane.

Is that bad?

I understand this to mean that your watch lost 9 seconds in 24 hours (or 36 hours according to your original version). This is normal for a mechanical watch that is not a certified chronometer. I suggest you not wear a mechanical watch if it being a few seconds fast or slow will drive you insane.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts

Is that bad?

If accuracy is key then you should go for a Quartz watch. My Omega Constellation Quartz didn't lose a second after over 2 months (probably even more accurate than that but I haven't been keeping track of its timekeeping after the 2 month period).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If accuracy is key then you should go for a Quartz watch. My Omega Constellation Quartz didn't lose a second after over 2 months (probably even more accurate than that but I haven't been keeping track of its timekeeping after the 2 month period).
I'll be sure to check that out, thank you :)

I also have my eyes on an Omega SpeedMaster Lunar dust.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
So my tag heuer carrera 7 twin time is like 14 seconds behind, like soon as the seconds hand reaches 46 seconds, my quartz watch already has completed one minute
How can I make it more simpler...

Time format ( HH:MM:SS )

If the time is 12:59:46 on my tag heuer,
My quartz watch shows 1:00:00

And if my tag heuer shows 1:00:00
My quartz watch shows 1:01:15

HELP!!!

My dad gave me this watch. :)

P.s for the curious ones, the quartz watch is a Certina DS-2 PreciDrive (Movement : Thermocompensated Quartz ETA 251.264.CEN)

~Thank You~
What you are describing is two watches not in synch, not necessarily a slow watch.

Pull the crown on the quartz, and stop the second hand. Set the hands on the quartz so when the watch is restarted the second hands are in synch.

Wait seven days (exactly 336 hours).

Note the total error between the two in seconds and divide this error by 7. That is the total error in seconds per day. If that is more than 10 seconds, I will be surprised.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What you are describing is two watches not in synch, not necessarily a slow watch.

Pull the crown on the quartz, and stop the second hand. Set the hands on the quartz so when the watch is restarted the second hands are in synch.

Wait seven days (exactly 336 hours).

Note the total error between the two in seconds and divide this error by 7. That is the total error in seconds per day. If that is more than 10 seconds, I will be surprised.....
Ok will do, thank you

·
Registered
30,641 Posts
A watchmaker can regulate or service it if needed, so that would be the best way to go, IMHO.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Probably just needs a service. Gaining or losing more time than usual is an indicator.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
A watchmaker can regulate or service it if needed, so that would be the best way to go, IMHO.
Maybe your right... At first I though it was magnetized so I place a compass close to my watch, to see where the the North Indicator (needle) would point, thank god it wasn't magnetized (it didn't point towards my watch)
I heard using a compass is a great way to see if your automatic watch is magnetized.

Thank you for you help :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
The escapement could be tangled up causing a uneven beat rate that slows down the watch. Take it to a watch technician and they will be able to regulate it again. Did u knock ur watch against something or dropped ur watch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,877 Posts

Is that bad?

Than a mechanical watch is not for you. Stick with thermo compensated quartz movements

Sent from my N9810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,879 Posts

Is that bad?

If you are obsessed with accuracy then don't wear a mechanical watch. Period.

·
Premium Member
21,706 Posts
If you're obsessed with accuracy, you can wear whatever you like, so long as you only have one watch (or other timekeeping device). A corollary of Segal's law, "A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts