WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Beautiful watch! I'm usually not a fan of chronos, as they tend to look too busy for me. This one has a very clean look.
I would agree with you on the chrono front. This one was the first in this line of Seamasters and in my mind the better looking one. The only thing i don't like about chronos is the extra cost of servicing them and the waterproof ability after a few years because of the pushers that need to be replaced. Since they are not screw down those pushers are more likely to leak than the crown. Those pushers are brand new so I should be good for a while.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I’ve said this many times, but of all the watch movements I service on a regular basis, the 7750 based movements are by far the most accurate (needing the least amount of work to get very good results) of all of them.

These are true workhorse movements.

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I’ve said this many times, but of all the watch movements I service on a regular basis, the 7750 based movements are by far the most accurate (needing the least amount of work to get very good results) of all of them.

Cheers, Al
Thanks Al, yes it does look like it is one of the most reliable movement out there. BTW does running the chronograph all the time (basically using it as a second hand) damages the movement? I just like to see it run on all 4 dials, I know, it's dumb, but i just like it :)

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Thanks Al, yes it does look like it is one of the most reliable movement out there. BTW does running the chronograph all the time (basically using it as a second hand) damages the movement? I just like to see it run on all 4 dials, I know, it's dumb, but i just like it :)
Running the chronograph all the time will have a few effects...

First it will cause the watch to stop sooner as the power runs down. This is because of the added load that the chronograph function puts on the movement, and the torque available from the mainspring will reach a point where it can't drive the watch anymore. This is not a problem, but something to be aware of. In fact if you let the watch run down with the chronograph on until it stops, simply turning the chronograph off is usually enough to allow the watch to run again.

Seconds, there will be some wear in the parts that are involved in running the chronograph, that would not otherwise have that wear. Something that is being used will obviously wear more than something that isn't. The question is, does this have any real world impact? My feeling is generally no. For the most parts the 7750 chronograph mechanism isn't one that I see a lot of wear on, even with watches that are decades old, so it's not something that I think is a particular problem. It may mean that you have to replace an extra part or two at service time sometime down the road, but it's not a big deal.

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks for the info Al. I will keep it running. I may be a fool but there is something cathartic about seeing all those dial move in synchronization. I need help...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks for the info Al. I will keep it running. I may be a fool but there is something cathartic about seeing all those dial move in synchronization. I need help...
funny! when I first got the watch that;s what i was doing. A friend who owned a Tissot with similar functionality told me "you know, you don;'t have to run that chronograph, the small seconds hand at 9 o'clock already does that?". I told him I was aware but I was used to seeing a "3rd" seconds sweep the main dial. I let that go for a few weeks till it scratched my itch. Since then I run the chronograph only when I'm diving w/ this watch.

·
Registered
480 Posts

Cheers, Al
So happy to read this - This is one of my favorite watches & been the longest in my ownership. I now realize all for very good reasons....

21 - 29 of 29 Posts