WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years i've had a 7T32 movement seiko chronograph which I have come to completely adore, but it and I have had a chequered history. Let me fill you in on some history.

My first 7T32-based watch was bought around 1995. This think still works even now, and I use it fairly frequently, which should be a testament to the durability of this movement, or so you'd think. Around 1998 I accidentally dropped this watch and smashed the crystal. It took me a while to get it repaired, and during the wait I bought a lovely blue-faced chrono based on the same movement. I happen to like the appearance of this second watch a lot more. Here's a picture:

Several battery changes into the life of this blue-faced watch, it became unreliable. God knows what the jewellers did to it but it acquired the most annoying habit of stopping every few hours, for a few hours at a time, and then starting up again. It had been doing this since 5 years ago. Eventually I abandoned it and went back to using my original chronograph (it has a white face). Today, after spending many frustrated months trying to find an economical way to repair my blue-faced watch I decided to take it to a jeweller who simply replaced the battery and said it was working. So I took it home, pleased but suspicious that the strange stop-start behaviour might reoccur. It didn't, but then just a few hours ago another completely unexpected problem began and I can't for the life of me figure out what is causing it.

Normally, when you pull out the lower crown to 2 clicks, you get a short, rapid-burst of beeps indicating that you've reset the timer on the small clock at the bottom of the face of the watch. You then set the time, push it all the way in, pull it out to the first click and then use the lower left pusher to set the alarm time. The first thing I noticed was that the lower left pusher didn't move the hands at all. At first I assumed there was a mechanical fault somewhere but I noticed that the button did work (because it was able to cancel the default ringing of the alarm that occurs when you pull the lower crown to the first click after just resetting the alarm clock). Then I tried to reset the watch. I noticed that the upper right pusher (which should trigger the chronograph) was also generating that same rapid-burst of beeps every time I pressed it, which is completely incorrect behaviour. This was in addition to activating the chronograph. Not only that, when the watch is "off" (i.e, when the upper crown is out to the second click and there should be no hand movement) pulling the lower crown all the way out would generate the burst of beeps and trigger and reset the chronograph!

As you can tell from the description, the watch is behaving completely erratically and resetting the IC makes no difference. I haven't even dropped this watch or done anything to it. I am really upset that after years of gathering dust, I had it on my wrist and working again only for it to go crazy hours later :(. Has anybody got any idea what might be wrong with it? Why would the buttons be accessing functions associated with other buttons? Is it worth sending it to Seiko UK to get it repaired for a sum that is twice what I originally paid for it? I really love this watch and despite looking at thousands of watches on several sites I have yet to find a watch I like that is as handsome as this; without any fussy bezel or ugly patterns. If only they made the SBPP001 in blue, i'd seriously consider it. I don't even know if my watch is repairable, since it uses an old-fashioned movement.

As I mentioned earlier, by very first 7T32 is still going strong despite numerous dents and dings, so I am really amazed at how many problems i've had with my blue model. The buttons are doing all kinds of crazy things. I'm even wondering if the case-back was properly mounted after the battery-change. Short-circuit maybe? Well, any and all advice is appreciated. I just can't imagine throwing this thing away but i'm so frustrated, I feel like throwing it against the wall right now V_V.

·
Registered
265 Posts
For years i've had a 7T32 movement seiko chronograph which I have come to completely adore, but it and I have had a chequered history. Let me fill you in on some history.

My first 7T32-based watch was bought around 1995. This think still works even now, and I use it fairly frequently, which should be a testament to the durability of this movement, or so you'd think. Around 1998 I accidentally dropped this watch and smashed the crystal. It took me a while to get it repaired, and during the wait I bought a lovely blue-faced chrono based on the same movement. I happen to like the appearance of this second watch a lot more. Here's a picture:

Several battery changes into the life of this blue-faced watch, it became unreliable. God knows what the jewellers did to it but it acquired the most annoying habit of stopping every few hours, for a few hours at a time, and then starting up again. It had been doing this since 5 years ago. Eventually I abandoned it and went back to using my original chronograph (it has a white face). Today, after spending many frustrated months trying to find an economical way to repair my blue-faced watch I decided to take it to a jeweller who simply replaced the battery and said it was working. So I took it home, pleased but suspicious that the strange stop-start behaviour might reoccur. It didn't, but then just a few hours ago another completely unexpected problem began and I can't for the life of me figure out what is causing it.

Normally, when you pull out the lower crown to 2 clicks, you get a short, rapid-burst of beeps indicating that you've reset the timer on the small clock at the bottom of the face of the watch. You then set the time, push it all the way in, pull it out to the first click and then use the lower left pusher to set the alarm time. The first thing I noticed was that the lower left pusher didn't move the hands at all. At first I assumed there was a mechanical fault somewhere but I noticed that the button did work (because it was able to cancel the default ringing of the alarm that occurs when you pull the lower crown to the first click after just resetting the alarm clock). Then I tried to reset the watch. I noticed that the upper right pusher (which should trigger the chronograph) was also generating that same rapid-burst of beeps every time I pressed it, which is completely incorrect behaviour. This was in addition to activating the chronograph. Not only that, when the watch is "off" (i.e, when the upper crown is out to the second click and there should be no hand movement) pulling the lower crown all the way out would generate the burst of beeps and trigger and reset the chronograph!

As you can tell from the description, the watch is behaving completely erratically and resetting the IC makes no difference. I haven't even dropped this watch or done anything to it. I am really upset that after years of gathering dust, I had it on my wrist and working again only for it to go crazy hours later :(. Has anybody got any idea what might be wrong with it? Why would the buttons be accessing functions associated with other buttons? Is it worth sending it to Seiko UK to get it repaired for a sum that is twice what I originally paid for it? I really love this watch and despite looking at thousands of watches on several sites I have yet to find a watch I like that is as handsome as this; without any fussy bezel or ugly patterns. If only they made the SBPP001 in blue, i'd seriously consider it. I don't even know if my watch is repairable, since it uses an old-fashioned movement.

As I mentioned earlier, by very first 7T32 is still going strong despite numerous dents and dings, so I am really amazed at how many problems i've had with my blue model. The buttons are doing all kinds of crazy things. I'm even wondering if the case-back was properly mounted after the battery-change. Short-circuit maybe? Well, any and all advice is appreciated. I just can't imagine throwing this thing away but i'm so frustrated, I feel like throwing it against the wall right now V_V.
====
Hi There!
I am a fan of the 7T32 Chrono (have 5 of them) and have learned that they are accurate and reliable UNTIL they go on the blink. No amount of battery changes and IC resets by my watchmaker helped. But when I sent it to Seiko COSERV (in the states) they replaced the movement, pressure test and reseal it for about $82.00. Everything works fine now.
So, is it worth it? Depends how much you like your style of watch...plenty of new Seiko Chronos available for $100-200.
Hope this helps,
Cheers,

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
====
Hi There!
I am a fan of the 7T32 Chrono (have 5 of them) and have learned that they are accurate and reliable UNTIL they go on the blink. No amount of battery changes and IC resets by my watchmaker helped. But when I sent it to Seiko COSERV (in the states) they replaced the movement, pressure test and reseal it for about $82.00. Everything works fine now.
So, is it worth it? Depends how much you like your style of watch...plenty of new Seiko Chronos available for $100-200.
Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Was that recently? That sounds pretty reasonable.
My 7T32 has been kind of hinky for the last few years.
The place I usually go to said it needed cleaning for
around 200 dollars. I went elsewhere and they did
an ultrasonic dip and it worked good for about a year.
Now it's loosing time again. I got 5 years out of the
first battery, and was getting about 5 months out of
it before the ultrasonic cleaning, which worked for about a year. I like the watch, and it's in good condition, so
I'd probably be up for spending less then 100 for a
real fix.....no way on the 200 quoted by the repair
center though.
Regards Sonny

·
Registered
265 Posts
Was that recently? That sounds pretty reasonable.
My 7T32 has been kind of hinky for the last few years.
The place I usually go to said it needed cleaning for
around 200 dollars. I went elsewhere and they did
an ultrasonic dip and it worked good for about a year.
Now it's loosing time again. I got 5 years out of the
first battery, and was getting about 5 months out of
it before the ultrasonic cleaning, which worked for about a year. I like the watch, and it's in good condition, so
I'd probably be up for spending less then 100 for a
real fix.....no way on the 200 quoted by the repair
center though.
Regards Sonny
=======
Hi Sonny,
Yes, I just checked my invoice dated October this year. $76.97 for "movement repair" and "pushbutton repair, no charge", and $10.00 bucks shipping. I called them about the 7T32 before sending it and they confirmed that they have the parts and movements to service this watch I don't know why other forum members say the parts for this watch are discontinued. Give them a try but, as you might know with Coserv US, they don't quote over the phone...they make you send the watch to them first, then they quote you. This is the second watch repair I had done and am quite satisfied with the cost (first one was about $80 plus)and turnaround time (about 2-3 weeks after they receive it and get your OK to proceed) and results..plus guaranteed for a year.
Good Luck,
Eddie

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
Point blank, no, it's not worth it, not even close. Why, because I'd bet you every single cent it would cost you to do this that if you just used that money to replaced it with something new, you'd find that there are so many more options that are as much if not even more enticing/attractive than the old one. Get something new, it's *time* to move on, I believe that Seiko is sending you a sign.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
=======
Hi Sonny,
Yes, I just checked my invoice dated October this year. $76.97 for "movement repair" and "pushbutton repair, no charge", and $10.00 bucks shipping. I called them about the 7T32 before sending it and they confirmed that they have the parts and movements to service this watch I don't know why other forum members say the parts for this watch are discontinued. Give them a try but, as you might know with Coserv US, they don't quote over the phone...they make you send the watch to them first, then they quote you. This is the second watch repair I had done and am quite satisfied with the cost (first one was about $80 plus)and turnaround time (about 2-3 weeks after they receive it and get your OK to proceed) and results..plus guaranteed for a year.
Good Luck,
Eddie
Thank you Eddie for the reply and imformation.
That's a really good deal.

Beyond the Box..........No, it's worth it to me to spend
the 80.00. No way can I find another Seiko as good as
this one for so little money. I bought it new, and it still
looks about 90% and I have all the boxes, manuals and hang tags. In other words, if all it costs me for 12 years
of use is 80.00.....less then 7.00 per year, I'll repair
it.
Regards Sonny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts