WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Friends,

this is the damage caused by salt water on the 691 module of my DW-5600c :-(o|

Do you think it can be repaired/restored? Or I have to buy another used (working) module? I would prefer to keep the present module as it has been my father's one for about 25 years...

Thank you for all your help.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Module is toast - but - it isn't the module that makes a sentimental watch - it is the dings and dents on the case. While the module is the "heart" of a watch, a heart transplant doesn't change the basic person.
Well said!

Even if you cant repair it, keep the watch for its sentimental value. Maybe make a display box or something and hang it on the wall. It has a ton of character!

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
I think it can be repaired! Swap in a model from a similar watch, have the gaskets replaced and checked by a professional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Module is toast - but - it isn't the module that makes a sentimental watch - it is the dings and dents on the case. While the module is the "heart" of a watch, a heart transplant doesn't change the basic person.
thank you mate!!!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it can be repaired! Swap in a model from a similar watch, have the gaskets replaced and checked by a professional.

Thank you mate.
What do you mean by saying "Swap in a model from a similar watch" ? I know that modules 691 and 901 are discontinued... Do actually exist other NOS modules which will fit the DW-5600c case?
Or did you mean to pick the module from another used DW-5600c (which I should buy)?
The first option (find a compatible module, which is neither a 691 or a 901, but is NOS) would be the best one for me... but I do not know if such a module actually does exist!

Thanks again. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Thank you mate.
What do you mean by saying "Swap in a model from a similar watch" ? I know that modules 691 and 901 are discontinued... Do actually exist other NOS modules which will fit the DW-5600c case?
Or did you mean to pick the module from another used DW-5600c which I should buy?
Any help is appreciated.
Yes, try finding a good quality used piece from either the used section at WUS or other forums or eBay.

Even a beat up dw-5600 but with a good condition module should work.

Reactions: acadian

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, try finding a good quality used piece from either the used section at WUS or other forums or eBay.

Even a beat up dw-5600 but with a good condition module should work.

thank you

can I also look for modules different from 691 which will fit the DW-5600c case?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you mate

Do you actually think it could be repaired? Or is "to replace it" the only option?

·
Registered
12,377 Posts
there is an all or nothing emergency repair option. while watch is running, rinse with distilled water (the inside) and drop in a cup of dry rice. this will remove salt from inside and stop any shorting and possibly return to normal,,,,,,or it will die.

its a last ditch option.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
thank you

can I also look for modules different from 691 which will fit the DW-5600c case?
You’re welcome.

I’m not too sure. Hopefully the more experienced square modders will chime in.

Some modules have slight differences. One of them has a green light, for example.

Reactions: speedmaster.

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I think modules from the vintage DW-5000, 5200, 5600, 5300 & 5700 are all "interchangeable" ?

What I mean is that I'm under the impression that all those modules fit into all of those cases so as long as the module in any of those is a 691 or 901 then it should fit into your 5600C with no issues.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
924 Posts
thank you

There are two known modules for DW-5600C, 691 and 901. You can also fit the older module 240 but the REM (reminder) will be missing.
Look at ebay for a cheap DW-5600C. You can swap the module, which is the easier way or rebuild your damaged module beginning from LCD swap.
If water caused this problem then you have to check all seals (buttons, screen seals, screwback). You also have to check the light and sound before doing the rebuild.
Good luck!

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
There are two known modules for DW-5600C, 691 and 901. You can also fit the older module 240 but the REM (reminder) will be missing.
Look at ebay for a cheap DW-5600C. You can swap the module, which is the easier way or rebuild your damaged module beginning from LCD swap.
If water caused this problem then you have to check all seals (buttons, screen seals, screwback). You also have to check the light and sound before doing the rebuild.
Good luck!
THIS is also my recommendation.

If you are patient and look regularly you should be able to find one on the bay for a good price.

I bought one for cheap a few months ago because I wanted to use the case for a different project - ended up not using it and restored it because it ended up being in better shape than initially thought.

Good luck!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Maybe if it is THAT sentimental, you may consider the option of just a LCD transplant, as I think it is only the LCD that is shot.

That way, instead of a "heart transplant", it's more like a heart stent :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe if it is THAT sentimental, you may consider the option of just a LCD transplant, as I think it is only the LCD that is shot.

That way, instead of a "heart transplant", it's more like a heart stent :)
it will be a medical intervention
Awesome :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts