WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,109 Posts
Much classier look and way more visible, too! :-!

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Pretty. I like it better than the original as well.

·
Registered
899 Posts
is this for sale yet??? :-d

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,648 Posts
|> Definitely. It brings the whole dial to life.

(as an aside, the new dial inscriptions are a big improvement)

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Rex,

I am still not absolutely sure about two things:

1. The double-stones at the 12, 6 and 9 positions; one might be enough?

2. Grammar: "China made" would be a straight word-for-word translation from Chinese, it makes as much sense as "Switzerland made" or "Germany made" rather than "Swiss made" or "German made".

Small quibbles, of course.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was wondering what was the reasoning behind having 'Sapphire' on the dial.
It might be removed in future version but the original I had to work with had words there and it balances out the Semdu on the top

I am thinking about removing the word semdu on the top and if I do removing the word Sapphire.

Woudl that work? it was more of a balance thing and also initially as a way to say these all have sapphire glass at this price point. Yes I could have gone either way. I am thinking about getting another set of dials made up as replacements that I will give away for anyone people that bought version 1 :)

but its a toss up and I had to narrow on a design for now. I will be having another 5-6 designs come out in the coming months if these sell decent.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rex,

I am still not absolutely sure about two things:

1. The double-stones at the 12, 6 and 9 positions; one might be enough?

2. Grammar: "China made" would be a straight word-for-word translation from Chinese, it makes as much sense as "Switzerland made" or "Germany made" rather than "Swiss made" or "German made".

Small quibbles, of course.
China made was used on all (well msot as I know Alberta or Chascom will correct me, hehehe) chiense watches in the 1960's-1970's so its a bringing back the good old history of Chinese watch MFg's and since swiss use swiss made these are china made.
I also might just use the Chinese symbols for china made in future. (see previous post) once I have paid advertising here I will/can do polls and such for future models. (dials)

Chascom, let me know if this email is too sales oriented and I will modify it.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
It might be removed in future version but the original I had to work with had words there and it balances out the Semdu on the top
The graphics over the entire dial area is a bit "top heavy" so if the upper half stays the same, the word "Sapphire" would indeed balance it out.

I am thinking about removing the word semdu on the top and if I do removing the word Sapphire.

Woudl that work? it was more of a balance thing and also initially as a way to say these all have sapphire glass at this price point. Yes I could have gone either way. I am thinking about getting another set of dials made up as replacements that I will give away for anyone people that bought version 1 :)
I am afraid I am not entirely comfortable with the name and logo: the "S in a shield" looks a bit like some incarnation of Sandoz, and the "Semdu" word is a little like a rush job, so to speak. The chosen font does not have that professional polish to it. And please, no copperplate! :-d

Having a background in design I tend to be somewhat critical, but then, as Ludwig Mees Van der Rohl said, God is in the details! :)

but its a toss up and I had to narrow on a design for now. I will be having another 5-6 designs come out in the coming months if these sell decent.
Good luck, keep at it!

·
Registered
377 Posts

I think the removing 'Sapphire' would be fine. With or without the Semdu brand? I think it could work either way.

Look forward to your new designs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the removing 'Sapphire' would be fine. With or without the Semdu brand? I think it could work either way.

Look forward to your new designs.
slowly leaning towards just having the S logo and no sapphire.

but as the last 2 posters showed people can go both ways.
Hence why if I do change I will (probably) offer a free dial replacement for previous initial version buyers.

I have about 8 designs currently and 4 more in the works, and modifications of these 8 designs for some future versions.

-Rex

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
slowly leaning towards just having the S logo and no sapphire.

but as the last 2 posters showed people can go both ways.
Hence why if I do change I will (probably) offer a free dial replacement for previous initial version buyers.

I have about 8 designs currently and 4 more in the works, and modifications of these 8 designs for some future versions.

-Rex
Rex,

If the "Sapphire" word feels bothersome it is because it is positioned a touch too high. Lower it by the height of the capital "S" and use a lighter ink for printing, it would look fine: sometimes contrast is a good thing but at times, a lower contrast works better and brings about an air of sophistication. But then, "Sapphire" can be the name of this series of watches made to your design. Of course you need something on the upper half to balance that out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rex,

If the "Sapphire" word feels bothersome it is because it is positioned a touch too high. Lower it by the height of the capital "S" and use a lighter ink for printing, it would look fine: sometimes contrast is a good thing but at times, a lower contrast works better and brings about an air of sophistication. But then, "Sapphire" can be the name of this series of watches made to your design. Of course you need something on the upper half to balance that out.
So in yours and other peoples mind is simpler better or more classy style watches or not?

I have a straight forward more "military dial" that will be used in a future model that is very simple and elegant.

And yes I know not everyone can get everything they want. Not even me. :)
-rex

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
So in yours and other peoples mind is simpler better or more classy style watches or not?

I have a straight forward more "military dial" that will be used in a future model that is very simple and elegant.

And yes I know not everyone can get everything they want. Not even me. :)
-rex
Rex,

I think it is only appropriate for me to speak wearing the hat of a designer and product planner.

When all is said and done you are trying to sell a watch: not one from the discount variety store, and not one costing four-figures - and seen by everybody as such. What you want is to offer a watch which is for the cognoscenti but yet not yelling out loud about it.

So it needs sophistication in every respect. Not trying to pretend to be Swiss, or an Omega is a good start, and you have addressed to that. No need to yell out "I am from China" either.

What people notice on a watch is the branding. Internationally, Semdu is not a well-known and well-established brand that the man in the street can relate to, like Omega or Rolex; in fact they could just put the logo on without the names and they would work just as well. The challenge is to give it the extra polish that lifts it from the $10 watches from the discount stores!

My quibble is the "Semdu" name as it appears on the watch; it does not exude sophistication and "seriousness". The major companies spend perhaps hundreds of thousand just to create a logo and trademark and that has to be cast in stone, but what I see is merely the result of someone pulling out the nearest sheet of Letraset, and the "S in a shield" logo is not as classy and distinctive as it's thought to be by its creator.

Look at a typical Rolex dial: it's got a lot of words on it too. But it's the detail design that makes it look good regardless.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts