WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are sitting around watching the, "Fight of the century" last night (what a joke), when my boy pulls out his phone and shows me a picture of a Grand Seiko. He asks me what I know about them and I look at him quite inquisitively. I didn't know he knew anything about them or that they even existed! I think he is finally turning around in his watch knowledge. I go on to tell him at length and after my diatribe, I realize his eyes have glassed over and we have missed a round and a half of the fight (no big deal). I look at him and ask him what he thinks the watch costs. He replies, "I don't know... 300 bucks??"...

I have lost all hope in his watch knowledge...

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
I am sure he has seen you on the laptop/phone/pc browsing watches and forums. There are much worse things that he could see you browsing and picking up.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
A real flesh and blood person has heard of them besides you. You should be excited! This means that they exist outside of your mind and outside of this forum. It makes it far less likely you are existing as a brain in a vat, ala The Matrix... ;-)

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
A real flesh and blood person has heard of them besides you. You should be excited! This means that they exist outside of your mind and outside of this forum. It makes it far less likely you are existing as a brain in a vat, ala The Matrix... ;-)
Nah...that's just what the Matrix WANTS you to believe.

·
Premium Member
8,088 Posts
Well, if you ever want to get him a watch you know what kind he likes. Maybe calls for a SARB33 or 35? Just to get him off the ground.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He obviously has good taste. In no time he'll be asking you about the astro tourbillon minute repeater.
... and want pay $600 for it.

Well, if you ever want to get him a watch you know what kind he likes. Maybe calls for a SARB33 or 35? Just to get him off the ground.
I have contributed to his delinquency plenty and he has his eye on quit a few of mine.

·
Premium Member
73,774 Posts
Only one problem ILB. Now that he knows that GSs exist you'll have a heck of a job weaning him onto something like a SARG.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Only one problem ILB. Now that he knows that GSs exist you'll have a heck of a job weaning him onto something like a SARG.
Like I mentioned we were watching the fight and eating some really good munchies. When I told him what they were asking... he almost choked! Didn't really have a clue. Like was mentioned above - to 99% of the population, it's a $300 watch.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Like I mentioned we were watching the fight and eating some really good munchies. When I told him what they were asking... he almost choked! Didn't really have a clue. Like was mentioned above - to 99% of the population, it's a $300 watch.
Do not tell DOMO!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Most people have no idea what "luxury" watches cost. Even Rolex, most people know they are "expensive", but if you told non WIS that a Sub costs close to 10K now, they will probably fall over.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Most people have no idea what "luxury" watches cost. Even Rolex, most people know they are "expensive", but if you told non WIS that a Sub costs close to 10K now, they will probably fall over.
This, 100%. That could have been any brand, nomos, omega, rolex, PP, etc. He would have probably grossly underestimated the actual cost. Because those who are not fully aware think $300.00 IS a lot of money for a watch.

·
Registered
112 Posts
When I told one of my students that my watch cost $650, they asked why I didn't just get a Rolex.

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
We are sitting around watching the, "Fight of the century" last night (what a joke), when my boy pulls out his phone and shows me a picture of a Grand Seiko. He asks me what I know about them and I look at him quite inquisitively. I didn't know he knew anything about them or that they even existed! I think he is finally turning around in his watch knowledge. I go on to tell him at length and after my diatribe, I realize his eyes have glassed over and we have missed a round and a half of the fight (no big deal). I look at him and ask him what he thinks the watch costs. He replies, "I don't know... 300 bucks??"..
LOL!!!! a few years back, i figured out it's better to act disinterested and almost annoyed when anyone asks me about watches... it proves to 99.999% of the people that they really don't care that much about watches, i don't look like a weirdo for spending $$ thousands on them and highlights the .001% that really wants to learn and get into watches with me and to the level needed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts