WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
57,597 Posts
Automatic watches can‘t be overwound. There‘s a slipping clutch to prevent exactly this. This device typically is attached to the mainspring, preventing its over-winding and prolonging the life of the watch by minimizing the chances of the mainspring breaking. You will find an excellent "How does the clutch work" at Watch Movements Wiki.

Winder recs: Books, Tools, Winders & Other Watch Accessories

·
Registered
612 Posts
Getting into automatic watches, I also fell in love with the DA36, and pulled the trigger from WatchMann Fall of 2020 after having great support and experience with Greg (Highly recommend shopping with him). I might have actually bought one of the last ETA powered DA36's from the line (which was my preference given the practicality of dealing with ETA movement for service/repair in the future). The serial# on mine is DA36.2431. The Icehardened bracelet was not available at the time, but told Greg I was strongly interested, and moment they can back in stock, he just let me know and I got it the same day. Couldn't be happier. Now my only thing is what kind of Watch winder would be best for this watch as it has been replaced by another watch I wear daily (my wife is not thrilled about this watch hobby I got into).:ROFLMAO:. Can anyone recommend a decent quality reliable watch winder which won't overwound this watch and have optimum timekeeping (Wolf is way too expensive for me)? I found out that an ETA2836-2 movement should be set around 650 TPD.
How often will you be wearing the DA36? If it will be worn only a few a few times a month, I would just let it wind down and start it back up whenever you wear it. All it takes is setting the day/time and giving it a good shake (20-30 seconds) then off you go. If you let it sit in a winder for days/weeks at a time, all you’re doing is creating unnecessary wear and tear. If you wear it a couple times a week then maybe a winder would be good.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
I would just let it wind down and start it back up whenever you wear it. All it takes is setting the day/time and giving it a good shake (20-30 seconds) then off you go.
If a watch has been allowed to wind down it must be wound up again. Giving it a shake will only start the second hand ticking , the watch should be wound up, date and time set THEN off you go.

·
Registered
612 Posts
If a watch has been allowed to wind down it must be wound up again. Giving it a shake will only start the second hand ticking , the watch should be wound up, date and time set THEN off you go.
Well, to each his own, but I've been doing this for the better part of 3 years and haven't had to hand wind a watch a single time (ETA 2824, 2836, Selllita SW200, Valjoux 7750). I have yet to have a watch stop on me during this time. Of course, if you have a sedentary lifestyle, you may need to hand wind to build up more reserve, but I've got a normal life (married, couple kids, desk job). I ditched my winder years ago and I have a regular rotation of 6 watches, so each watch gets worn roughly once a week. I grab the next watch, flick the wrist for 30 seconds to spin the rotor, put it on and start my day. I've also heard of some people eventually having problems with hand winding their movements (ETA 2824 winding issue), so even more reason for me to stick to my normal routine.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
I've been out of the watch "hunt" for quite a long time, now. This is the first time I've "heard" that Damasko had ended production of their ETA powered models, which saddens me a bit though I understand their reasoning behind their decision. One of the very last watches that I've bought is my DA-36 Black, a piece that I continued wanting well after I'd stopped hunting for watches. I am so glad that I got a DA-36 before its production ended. It's an amazing piece and I truly love it. Thank you, Damasko, and thank you, Greg Stein of WatchMann.com.
Watch Hand Analog watch Clock Gesture

21 - 30 of 30 Posts