WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know, I know. Bremont is not exactly what you'd call affordable with their watches ranging from about $5,000 and up but I also know that a lot who frequent F71 do not necessarily frequent the Public forum so I thought I'd post here anyway about my experience with the brand tonight, holding the most expensive watch I've seen up close and my new love and appreciation for Bremont.

I attended the Bremont event this evening at Timeless Luxury Watches. As always Dan and Anna were incredible hosts and it was good to see Brett (CitizenM) who I spent most of the evening talking to. First of all I had little knowledge of the brand going into this. Of course I knew of them but I had no real appreciation for them. That all changed tonight. Michael, the Bremont rep, was personable and informative and his presentation, as well as talking to him and getting to know him make me truly appreciate the brand. It started out interestingly as Anna immediately introduced me to Michael as being from WUS and the originator of the GTG. His response was amusing as one of the first things he said was that he was sure I'd heard about the controversy. They know that the forums jumped on that quickly and we talked about it and what went wrong and how they fixed the situation.

Not long after the introduction Michael gave a wonderful and informative presentation on the history and the future of the brand. I also had the chance to check out the prototype for the stainless steel Wright Flyer watch (pictures below). At $26,000 it's the most expensive watch I've handled and I was very impressed with it. Between sips of 18 year aged Chivas Regal I also got to try on, and fall in love with, the MBII which is now my grail. And it might be attainable.

I was one of the last out of the store about 45 minutes after the end of the event and closing time and I had a great time talking to everyone (including a woman who only owns 2 Porsche's and her friend who owns 8) and learning more about Bremont. I now have a deep appreciation and respect for the brand. And now the pictures.

My new grail, the MBII:
20140829_193450.jpg

20140829_193452.jpg

20140829_193500.jpg

The sold out LE Victory which has actual wood and bronze from the HMS Victory:
20140829_195917.jpg

20140829_195935.jpg

And the prototype for the $26,000 Wright Flyer:
20140829_195816.jpg

20140829_195831.jpg

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Bremont has been putting out some real winners (movement fiasco notwithstanding). My current favorite is the ALT 1-C. Just a stellar, bulletproof, nicely designed watch. I've been fortunate to handle a few of them.

I do think they are a wee overpriced, but not absurdly so.

I like the Flyer very much, a little nuts at $26K, but I'm not their target for that watch anyway.

Sounds like it was a great event.

(Btw, it appears you posted the Flyer twice, instead of the Victory.)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I also have been very impressed with Bremont. I almost picked up a MBII recently and am still looking for one. Sure sounds like that was a great evening. I've always wanted to handle and or see one of the HMS Victory watches, though I think you didn't get the dial photo posted. Lol. Good luck picking up a MBII Jason, they can be had fairly reasonably on the used market. $3K or so.

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
I really like Bremont's take on design, and controversy or no, the Wright Flyer watch is amazing. I don't know if everybody has been following the controversy or the watch in particular, but if you look at that tan piece on the rotor between the words "Wright" and "Flyer", that's a piece of aircraft canvas owned by the Wright Brothers, presumably used in early flight attempts per the Wright estate...

$26k may seem like a lot, but it's not like you can go anywhere else to get something else like it. It's a very cool piece.

·
Registered
11,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really like Bremont's take on design, and controversy or no, the Wright Flyer watch is amazing. I don't know if everybody has been following the controversy or the watch in particular, but if you look at that tan piece on the rotor between the words "Wright" and "Flyer", that's a piece of aircraft canvas owned by the Wright Brothers, presumably used in early flight attempts per the Wright estate...

$26k may seem like a lot, but it's not like you can go anywhere else to get something else like it. It's a very cool piece.
From how it was described it was in fact actually used on the wing of the flyer and not just from the same roll of muslin cloth as some believed. The Wright Flyer was actually originally given to a museum in England and the wings were disassembled and the cloth for each section labeled and put in storage. The Wright family had one section of this cloth measuring 14" x 15" remaining and asked Bremont if they could use it for the watch. So the cloth in the rotor did in fact fly on the flyer. Very impressive. He commented that when he flew to Texas he had the watch in his pocket and he wondered what the airline would have thought if they had any clue of the piece of flight history on their plane.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
The Wright Flyer was displayed in London's Science Museum during the period when the Smithsonian was sceptical that they had indeed made the first manned, powered, controlled, sustained heavier-than-air flight

1 - 6 of 6 Posts