WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this watch a year ago for around $70 bucks...back then I was a poor college student so I couldn't afford a Stowa or Steinhart or Hamilton or whatever you name it...

So I bought this cheap watch from manbushijie. It's some Chinese mechanical movement, with a pretty cool exhibition caseback.

When I bought it, the bezel was polished, and the side of the case was brushed. So I bought a green/yellow scrubbing sponge, cut about a square inch of the green part off, used blue masking tape to cover the glass on the watch, and I brushed the watch myself!

Here are some pics of my cheap pilot watch, tell me what you think!

Cheers and Happy New Year!

This is what it looked like when I bought it (came with a light brown leather strap with two rivets)

This is what it looked like after I brushed it with the green/yellow sponge!

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Nice, and it looks to be a good job on the brushing!

cheers,
Jake.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Looks great.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Great job, I think that it looks much nicer now. More importantly, from one student to another, good luck!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great job, I think that it looks much nicer now. More importantly, from one student to another, good luck!
Thanks Mike! I also admire your collection, especially the Hamilton Khaki, Maratac Pilot, and Seiko 5, all watches I hope to add to my collection :)

·
Registered
20,444 Posts
Looks very good on double rivet strap |>

How does it keep time, I once bought the same watch and it runs as accurate as my Swiss watches that cost 10 times more ?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Looks very good on double rivet strap |>

How does it keep time, I once bought the same watch and it runs as accurate as my Swiss watches that cost 10 times more ?
Thanks LVT! When I first bought it, it lost a few seconds a day, so I adjusted it (opened the case back and pushed the needle a bit towards fast, as you can see in the picture). So now it gains a few seconds a day, and I'm hesitant to re-open the caseback to adjust it further because the little screws on the caseback can easily get stripped. But I don't mind the few seconds gain - better to be early than to be late :)

·
Registered
20,444 Posts
Thanks LVT! When I first bought it, it lost a few seconds a day, so I adjusted it (opened the case back and pushed the needle a bit towards fast, as you can see in the picture). So now it gains a few seconds a day, and I'm hesitant to re-open the caseback to adjust it further because the little screws on the caseback can easily get stripped. But I don't mind the few seconds gain - better to be early than to be late :)

That's great |>

I kept that watch on my table for a while before selling it to a WUS fellow, love the loud "tick-tac", I can even hear it 3 meters away :p

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's great |>

I kept that watch on my table for a while before selling it to a WUS fellow, love the loud "tick-tac", I can even hear it 3 meters away :p
I agree, the loud ticking sound is one of its best features b-)

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
cheap, Chinese, expensive or Swiss made... that's insignificant, it is a very nice watch, if you like it then wear it proudly and enjoy it as much you can.. specially if it came from your own pocket ;)

good luck!

·
Banned
652 Posts
4 O'clock crown on the Maratac...and a Miyota 8219...not a Chinese movement...big difference after a week of time telling...

Looks like the Maratac pilot I just got.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
cheap, Chinese, expensive or Swiss made... that's insignificant, it is a very nice watch, if you like it then wear it proudly and enjoy it as much you can.. specially if it came from your own pocket ;)

good luck!
Well, said. I knew I would like you. You are from Costa Rica. I happen to be half Costa Rican.

Reactions: sammy2012

·
Registered
177 Posts
Very nice watch! As a poor college student myself...about to go and look for something like this off of ebay now! Great work on the brushing it looks!

Reactions: sammy2012
1 - 17 of 17 Posts