WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love seeing people's SOTC's. Here's mine.

I've been "seriously" collecting for 2 and a half years now. I am completely content with the current SOTC. I've got no current plans to buy or sell anything.

It's no accident that I have 6 tools and 6 dress watches. My collecting philosophy is all about my perception of balance within the collection. If I bought anything else it would throw off the equilibrium!

Bertucci A-1T: extremely lightweight and simple field watch.
Vostok Amphibia: a practical diver for swimming and kayaking.
Damasko DA46: my dream watch, an impressive piece of engineering and design.
Ball Engineer Marvelight II: solid build, luxurious, tritium.
Tissot Luxury powermatic 80: excellent finishing, 80 hour power reserve, silicon hairspring, affordable price.
Seiko SNK Kanagawa mod: a fun project to add some variety to the box.
Classic metal Casio: a legend and my most legible piece.
G-shock: great for when I don't want to worry at all about damaging my watch.
Casio Oceanus S100: solar, titanium, perpetual, atomic, world time, nice finishing.
Nomos Tangente: timeless design, in house movement with excellent finishing.
D1 Milano Ultra Thin: the classiest Genta-inspired homage imo.
Timex Marlin Reissue: Classy American icon.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Nearly every option covered there and all set to the same time is a nice touch. Ever notice all Manufactures set their watches at 10.10 when advertising them. Congratulations on your collection.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I'm more impressed that you keep every watch wound and set to the correct time :p. The seiko mod is my favorite, but also live the Balls, and the Nomos. I also like how there is decent variety.

·
Premium Member
6,992 Posts
Nice collection

When you speak of 'perception of balance' & and buying anything else would 'throw off the equilibrium'
what you mean is, your 12 compartment watch box is full - so....
buy an 18 compartment box and you have room to grow and add some colour ;)

Reactions: alvin_c

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Nice collection! Time for another watch box.

Reactions: johnMcKlane

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice variety. What gets the most wrist time?
Damasko, Ball, Nomos, and Oceanus are my four daily wearers. They are also the four I paid the most for.

The other 8 I tend to wear less often, and on specific occasions. (Vostok swimming, G shock mountain biking, Timex date night, Tissot church, D1 Milano poker night, etc.)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The seiko mod is my favorite, but also live the Balls, and the Nomos. I also like how there is decent variety.
The Kanagawa dial is fully lumed, so the image of the wave glows in the dark. I'm no watchmaker, but it was fun sourcing the parts and swapping it out as a way to dabble in the whole mod scene.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ha! I'm not really sure. We don't play for money, just for fun, so I guess I wear an "expensive looking" blingy style of watch just for the fun of it.
I'm a poker player too and was expecting to hear this watch always gives you good luck or something along that line

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Ha! I'm not really sure. We don't play for money, just for fun, so I guess I wear an "expensive looking" blingy style of watch just for the fun of it.
I love Texas hold'em and also enjoy playing with or without money, but I've found with money it's a lot easier to expand my watch collection 😎

·
Registered
30,721 Posts
Very nice. Lots of diversity.

Enjoy them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice. I especially like that Ball and have been contemplating one for awhile. How do you like it?
Honestly, the Ball in my opinion is the best value of any of my relatively more expensive pieces. The watch has some heft, which combines with the specs, the finishing, the extra details like the counterweight on the second hand and the case back engraving, and the overall execution, to give an impression of superb build quality. I appreciate the date magnifier more than I thought I would, too.

As for the tritium, the lume on the Marvelight is literally so bright that I cannot wear it at night right now because it will wake me up by shining in my eyes when I roll over. On a lume test it starts off dimmer than a freshly charged luminova, but it quickly becomes the brightest in the box. Maybe in a few years it will be dim enough for me to sleep with!

In my opinion, the Damasko and the Nomos are in a league of their own when it comes to the subtleties of thoughtful design. But honestly, I find the Ball to be in a league of its own in terms of luxury and build quality. It was the watch that caused me to realize why my less expensive watches were so much less expensive.

I do like the design of the Ball. I find they draw on a lot of elements from Rolex, but with enough originality to avoid being too much of a copycat. For instance, I'm told the Marvelight came out before the smooth bezel DJ, and I actually prefer the case shape of the Ball.

I think I've typed enough. You get the picture, I like it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts