WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello - I found this website after buying a counterfeit "100% genuine" Tissot PRS200 in September.

I wanted a new watch and looked at loads on websites and eventually settled on an older style Tissot PRS200 (with the thicker bezel). Prices in New Zealand shops were around NZD700 - 1000 so I searched on the internet and found a few obvious fakes, many that were priced the same as in NZ and a few cheaper ones. I eventually settled on one advertised on eBay by a London jeweller. I e-mailed the jeweller who assured me the watch was 100% genuine - the website even said that all their watches were 100% authentic. To avoid NZ import duty, I had the watch shipped to a relative's address in England where I was visiting in December. Including postage, it cost GBP190 (about NZD360) which I thought was reasonable for a model no longer being made.

I picked up the watch in December and I was reasonably happy with it although, in retrospect, there were one or two tell-tail signs that it might not be genuine. The second hand didn't quite stop on each of the second markers on the face, I couldn't get the 60 minute dial hand to zero properly and the book that came with it, "Story of a Watch Company", wasn't terribly well printed and a couple of the pages were duplicated. These problems didn't bother me too much - the watch kept good time and looked good too.

After a couple of months, the watch started to lose time a little overnight and also stopped for five minutes or so. I assumed the battery was running out (feasible I thought since it was an old style watch) so I took it to a local jeweller and registered Tissot stockist in Auckland who told me it would have to be sent to the authorised agent in Wellington and did I have the warranty. I didn't but e-mailed the company in London which sent me their warranty by post. I again took the watch to the local jeweller along with the warranty and it was sent to Wellington.

Two weeks later when I went to pick up the watch I was amazed to be told that the watch was counterfeit and the agant in Wellington wanted my signed authorisation to keep the watch and send it to Tissot in Switzerland. I was happy for them to do this - I don't want to own a fake watch. I e-mailed the jeweller in London, sending them a copy of the signed authorisation and asking for my money back (not expecting them to comply).

The next morning I had a message in my in-box from the London jeweller stating that they were surprised it was a counterfeit and that they'd look into it and that a full refund had already been sent through PayPal (I transferred it to my bank immediately).

I then tried to get hold of a genuine one from an actual jeweller in Auckland but, since its an older model, it's no longer available. After relying the story and haggling a little, I managed to buy the new PRS200 from Watches on Broadway, an official Tissot stockist in Newmarket, Auckland for a little less than NZD700.
I can now see that the workmanship on the counterfeit was good but not quite as good as the real thing. The counterfeit box was not quite as good as the real one and the book with the real one was much more professional than the one with the fake. I'm still not sure the newer model looks as good as the older model though!

·
Registered
139 Posts
you were lucky to get a full refund. :) as for me, i would pick a reliable online seller like amazon etc. to get genuine branded items.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts