WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Rolex | Tudor | Oceanus | G-Shock
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Prior to the pandemic, I had one watch… an Apple Watch 5 but I gave that to my mom so she could measure her heart-rate as she has afib. During the pandemic, I decided it was time to get my “holy grail” watch so I picked up a Rolex Daytona (116520) which I love, but you can’t wear that everyday so I also got a Tudor Black Bay as my everyday watch. A friend then sent me a link to a GA-2100-1A1 about 10 months ago telling me these were hard to get a MSRP, so I purchased one. Then, as many of us can attest, it took me way down the G-Shock rabbit hole. I also learned about Casio Oceanus and now have 4 of these watches as well… so as of now, I have 1 Rolex, 1 Tudor, 4 Oceanus and 10 G-Shocks (well, 14 if you count ones I ruined)… all purchased this year. Yikes.

The first GA-2100-1A (all black) also led to a GA-2110ET-8A (all grey)... but both of those were ruined by me as I tried to swap the positive LED display from the grey one into the black one. This was a mod that was too much for my skills and I learned the hard way.

Anyhow, this photo is of my current G-Shock collection and I’m very happy with it. I’ll share a little about each one because they all have some sort of “mod”. We will go from the top left and work our way down to the bottom right.

GW-M5610BC-1JF
This watch came with a negative display but I changed out the module to one from a GW-M5610-1 with a fellow user on this sub-reddit who wanted a negative display. This watch was purchased primarily for the “OEM combi-bracelet v1” that I wanted for my GBX-100. Since the nice bracelet was used elsewhere, I ordered the AliExpress “old black” distressed metal bezel and bracelet for this watch.

GW-B5600BC-1B
This watch is hydro-modded (you can see the small bubble I purposely left in the top right) and it really helps with the deep contrast of the negative display. The watch came on the “OEM combi-bracelet v2” and I added an AliExpress black metal bezel.

GMW-B5000-1
This started out as a silver metal bezel B5000 with resin straps. I mainly purchased this model because I wanted the negative STN display and a “screw-on caseback square”. The silver bezel was a bit much for me, so it is now cased in an aftermarket AliExpress black metal bezel and bracelet. While the case-back is nice, I was most impressed by the STN display. You cann tell in the pic how great it is, only losing to the MIP display on the GBX-100.

GW-M5610-1
This tried and true square is also hydro-modded (no bubble) which does help with the “legibility” of the display. It is otherwise stock but there is an aftermarket AliExpress “combi-bracelet” on the way for it.

GBX100NS-1
I purchased this watch mainly for the MIP display and tide/moon functions. It’s a beautiful watch and I hope Casio will release an update in a couple years with Tough Solar and MultiBand 6. This watch has the “OEM combi-bracelet v1” from the GW-M5610BC-1JF which look awesome on it. The texture of the v1 matches the LIGHT button quite well.

GA-2100SKE-7A
As mentioned above, after ruining two other GA-2100 watches, I decided to just order the skeleton model as I felt it has the most legible dial of them all… other than the negative display. This watch has the AliExpress v2 CasiOak metal bezel and an “OEM combi-bracelet v2”.

GST-W330L
This watch surprised me by how much I liked it when I ordered it. It’s a beautiful watch but I ruined the module when I tried to hydro-mod it (the hands stopped moving). I felt bad because I did like the watch a lot, so I found a really beat up GST-W330AC on eBay just to get a replacement module. That’s why the coloring on the dial and face is a bit different. I love the Tough Leather straps too that came with the W330L.

GGB100-1B MudMaster
This is my “zombie-apocalypse” watch with all the sensors to help me survive. No mods other than a sapphire crystal swap.

GN-1000B-1AER GulfMaster
The “Pepsi Bezel” was purchased to be my “Buffalo Bills” game day watch, and I even have a white bezel and straps from a GN-1000C-8A on order to go full “red/white/blue” as my team colors. But to be honest, the watch looked so good when I got it, I may keep it as is.

GA-110CAPTAIN-2PR Marvel Captain America (fake)
I bought this watch for $48 used on eBay thinking it was a deal but long story short, it turned out to be a fake. But a very good fake… it shows the diagnostic screen when you push the buttons and the packaging box and tin were amazing. But alas, a fake. I ordered white straps to replace the “Captain America” branded ones and this will be my other “Buffalo Bills” game day watch.

NOTE: Every watch except the CasiOak, GulfMaster and GA-110 are MultiBand6 or Bluetooth… you can tell how much worse the fake one is at keeping time compared to the others.

Anyhow… phew, I definitely went a little crazy in my G-Shock purchases but I have all of the ones I want to own now. I started looking at the MT-G and MR-G series watches but after discovering Casio Oceanus, I decided the high-end metal Gs just aren’t my style. I don’t think I’m missing anything else I want but if you have any suggestions, I’m open to hearing them. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I hate to be the one to tell you, but the reason most of the members shy away from this thread of yours and a few others
IS YOU MENTIONED ali express and FAKE too much
it ain't a proud thing to say around here
sincerely: just a messenger!
lolz

·
Registered
My only other watch is a G-Shock..
92 Posts
I hate to be the one to tell you, but the reason most of the members shy away from this thread of yours and a few others
lolz
😂

Not to mention all that metal LOL

·
Registered
Rolex | Tudor | Oceanus | G-Shock
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lolz
Fair enough and point taken. Appreciate your note.

I don't understand the "AliExpress" thing though to be honest... we're talking optional bracelets and bezels... yeah, I get they say "G-Shock" on them so technically "counterfeit" mods but we're talking about G-Shocks here and not Rolex or Omega. I personally don't equate it with a replica or all around fake watch.

The FAKE Avengers watch wasn't intentional, I was actually quite bummed when I realized it was fake. But after receiving it, knowing it was not genuine, I decided to keep it only because it's just a silly "game day" watch for my football team and being $48, it wasn't worth the hassle of returning.

Not to mention all that metal LOL
Other than his point above, I actually like the metal on the squares more than I thought I would... if I stayed just "resin" than I'd probably only own one or two squares.

·
Registered
My only other watch is a G-Shock..
92 Posts
Fair enough and point taken. Appreciate your note.

I don't understand the "AliExpress" thing though to be honest... we're talking optional bracelets and bezels... yeah, I get they say "G-Shock" on them so technically "counterfeit" mods but we're talking about G-Shocks here and not Rolex or Omega. I personally don't equate it with a replica or all around fake watch.

The FAKE Avengers watch wasn't intentional, I was actually quite bummed when I realized it was fake. But after receiving it, knowing it was not genuine, I decided to keep it only because it's just a silly "game day" watch for my football team and being $48, it wasn't worth the hassle of returning.

Other than his point above, I actually like the metal on the squares more than I thought I would... if I stayed just "resin" than I'd probably only own one or two squares.
Thinking along the lines of Gs being mostly plastic I guess.. But hey! The all-metal 5600 is such a hit so guess it'd be nice too

*And maybe just that model too for me on metal--no other 😅

·
Premium Member
8,434 Posts
You have assembled a nice collection of modified and/or customized G-Shocks over the last ten months. Thoroughly enjoyed reading your journey of going down the G-Shock rabbit hole. Here's to enjoying your collection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts