WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Glad I found you. Last night my dad layed his Breitling on me. He doesn't wear it so he figured I might as well have it. I went to the Breitling site but didn't find any info on it. I believe he got it about 10 yrs ago.

It says "Antares" on the face. Back says: "Automatic 200M". Numbers are: "B 10048 1 6269"

It has a simple blue face. He says he had problems with it and had to have it serviced. He say's the whole movment was replaced. Water may have gotten into it. Any info you got would be helpful. Thanks! David.

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
8,939 Posts
Hello David,

The Antares model was in fact a series of models from I believe the early to mid 90's. As you said a straight forward face with a beautiful sculpted aspect. I used to study this watch because I liked it a lot when I first became interested in the brand. Few here have mentioned it in the last year if at all so you have a relative rarity.

One version, the Antares World, had a GMT function which allows one to track a second time zone by setting a second 'hour' hand. None from what I recall had a chrono function.

They were rated to 200meters water proof rating but I wouldn't trust that now unless its serviced, the gaskets renewed and then water tested. The seals age and water penetration is a real possibility with older watches.

I'll add a few images I have picked up over time for your interest.
Your dad has done right by you mate so take care of your new momento. Its a beauty.

PS. The obvious inspiration for the name of this model..

http://www.astro.uiuc.edu/~kaler/sow/antares.html

Attachments

·
Registered
778 Posts
Enjoy the watch! I still have the Rolex Datejust that my dad gave me. The watch is only 8 years younger than I am and probably runs better. By the way, how is Bergen County these days?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Snap, thanks. Glad to know I got something special. My dad does have an eye for quality. For as long as I've known, he's always worn a Rolex. I think he bought this Breitling while his Rolex was being serviced. He's offered me this watch many times before but I was afraid to wear such and expensive piece. It is a real gem. Not flashy, just real sharp. I know that a lot of folks on this board haved saved up for years to buy a watch like this so I know I'm real lucky to be given one. Thanks again.

·
Registered
238 Posts
That's a very nice thing your dad did.........

Enjoy - That's what it's all about. Maybe someday you'll pass it down too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts