WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The book I wrote about my dad arrived today and I'm really happy with it. Its just a scrapbook of photos and stories for my family. I'll take them back to Ireland next month. There sure won't be a dry eye in the house. Not surprisingly Doxa and Clive Cussler get a mention as well as a bunch of Cussler - Doxaholics :)

Crazy, smiling Pete

·
Registered
319 Posts
Wow that's a great thing to do Pete.

I am sure everyone will enjoy and treasure the book.

:-!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks T. Yea seemed a fitting way for my family to remember the old fella and keep some of the "good" photos in easy reach.

several people have already asked why the title "Pick a window, you're leaving"....well.......

It was an expression my dad used a lot. If you upset him he would say "pick a window, you're leaving". It became a joke with us all. The real irony is that in Ireland we bring the body back to the house to lie there for people to come as say goodbye. We had real problems getting the coffin into the bedroom. So when it came time to bury him, we just took out the bedroom window and heaved the coffin through it. Just before we did, my brother rapped the coffin lid and said "hey dad, pick a window, you're leaving". Kind of fitting don't you think :)

Pete

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thanks T. Yea seemed a fitting way for my family to remember the old fella and keep some of the "good" photos in easy reach.

several people have already asked why the title "Pick a window, you're leaving"....well.......

It was an expression my dad used a lot. If you upset him he would say "pick a window, you're leaving". It became a joke with us all. The real irony is that in Ireland we bring the body back to the house to lie there for people to come as say goodbye. We had real problems getting the coffin into the bedroom. So when it came time to bury him, we just took out the bedroom window and heaved the coffin through it. Just before we did, my brother rapped the coffin lid and said "hey dad, pick a window, you're leaving". Kind of fitting don't you think :)

Pete
I know about the custom of bringing the body back to the house etc. (Mom's family is from Ireland). Interesting that they still practice it. That's funny about your brother! I bet your dad had a chuckle over that if he was watchin!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Bravo, Pete. I don't think there are many words that can adequately describe what you've done. You've paid a fitting tribute to someone important in your life. I can only hope we all have that opportunity when the time comes.

Again, bravo, sir.

Avi

·
Registered
11,823 Posts
Very cool Doc, I'm sure he'd be proud! Love the title and story of it's origin too, and for some reason I can picture your brother with those huge arms, using that line in the local pub ;-).

·
Registered
225 Posts
pete,

great idea, this will keep his memory alive all the future flying doctor generations to come. great job!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Pete, that's a touching tribute. Cremated my Dad on Friday, died very suddenly without warning aged 69 last week. I know how you feel now.
Mark

·
Registered
125 Posts
Very touching Doc...
As a Dutchman born in a small village I remember the farmer's custom of keeping the deceased in the house until the funeral. Moreover, at the front door some straw was put on the ground and on top of that 3 bricks. This was the signal of notifying passing people that a deceased person was in the house. People who passed by foot or bicycle took off hat or cap to show respect....
Adrian.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Pete, that's a touching tribute. Cremated my Dad on Friday, died very suddenly without warning aged 69 last week. I know how you feel now.
Mark
Ouch, that sad to hear of someone passing before their time, our condolences, Mark.
A good friend from high school passed away recently, a sudden death without any warning. That's tough on the family and friends who did not have a chance to say goodbye.
Pete's book is a great project for occasions such as this.
DW

·
Registered
67 Posts
We also have that custom of having a wake in the home of the person who passed away here in the Philippines. Length of stay in the home really depends on how long the relatives want him to stay.

My father in law took about a week. Around here that is kind of like a reunion of some sorts. People sit around (some with alcohol) remebering memories of how his/her life was.

My condolonces to emgee and Doc Pete...

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mark,

I've been traveling the last week and just now managed to work my way through all the postings. I am so sorry to hear about your dad. My old fella also checked out at 69. It just sees so young. My heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

I've been editing the Stan Waterman story for the new Doxa Dive book tonight and Stan tells me he is 85 years old. Wow, I wish my dad had lived to he was 85, there was just so much more life in him as I'm sure there was in yours.

Thanks also to the rest of you for your kind comments. 10 copies of the book arrived yesterday and I'm looking forward to giving them to my family in 2 weeks time. sad occasion but nice memories.

Pete

1 - 14 of 14 Posts