• HRV

Votes: 88 35.6%
  • SUB750T case dimensions but thicker case

Votes: 93 37.7%
  • SUB 1000T case dimensions but thicker case

Votes: 47 19.0%
  • thicker and modern looking bracelet

Votes: 82 33.2%
  • screws for attaching the bracelet to the case (instead of the springbars)

Votes: 131 53.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear friends and forum members, if we were to dream of the ultimate DOXA SUB, what would be your choice from the following improvements?. We will use your feedback to evaluate a new project for 2008. I summarized the feedback that we received since the first SUB300T re-edition was released in 2001 in the this poll and I am looking forward to hear your feedback.

Please participate

Thank you

Rick

Added by DOXA S.A.

I noticed a lot of interest in this poll, and a bunch of nice ideas appeared. I will leave this poll online for a few weeks, then I will present you with the results, and what is within the capabilities of DOXA to incorporate in a future SUPER DOXA SUB.

rick

·
Registered
369 Posts
Re: My dream DOXA

I like the 1000T case size, but would like a thicker case vice the thick case back that is on the 1000T. All else is good to go...

Ohh, and a helium release valve would be nice. Bring back the Conquistador!

·
Registered
4,460 Posts

For me anyway as a newbie, the size of the 1000T is perfect, although it would be nice if the dial was slightly bigger. Obviously this might compromise the size of the bezel slightly.
My dream doxa is the T-graph design....hint hint

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts

I have said it before and I will say it again. Make a Reissue Synchron. Make it with a HRV, make it the size of the 750T, but thicker, like the vintage synchrons.

Make it with the Synchron Logo on the dial, "by Synchron" on the caseback, and The Synchron Logo on the Clasp. Make the Bracelet gradually get wider as it approaches the case, just like the vintage bracelet.

I guess just remake this watch, but make it as large in diameter as the 750T and give it an HRV........ (Thick is better)

·
Registered
286 Posts

I did not vote as my "Dream Doxa" does not require any of the options given...my "Dream Doxa" is constructed out of titanium.

A titanium Sharkhunter... ;-)

·
Registered
11,826 Posts

Drat, I voted not realizing the poll was multiple choice! Worse, I didn't see it was from Rick!

An HRV is a must, purely from a historical standpoint. Doxa premiered it, and now everyone except Doxa has one. I know, not needed by about 99.999% of the buyers (including me) but hey, it's a Doxa thing! (I also realize very few early Doxa's had them, look at the what? two? Known to exist now?).

A thicker case would be my next request, in either (both?) sizes.

I think the evidence is empirical from complaints when switching from the 600T to the 750T, and then from the 750T to the 1000T, that there is a market and desire to see both sizes produced. Sooner or later, Doxa may decide to make "regular production models", instead of the constant limited ones? If so, I think one of each would be a good choice.

Last, the modernization of things. The modern bracelet might be nice, and the screwed bracelet. But these are major changes, and are getting away from the "retro" personality of the reissue SUB's. Not that there's anything wrong with that! It is inevitable that Doxa will make a modernized version of the SUB. I feel these features might best be reserved for such an occasion.
(But perhaps drilled lugs instead of screwed?).

A big date might be nice for those of us with aging eyes. Not in the poll, but just a thought.

I have to say I really don't understand everyone's fascination with more, and more, and more lume. IMHO, the current lume is fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

·
Registered
316 Posts

A 750T case diameter but thicker case, with a domed crystal, oh, and yeah, larger date!:thanks
Mark

·
Registered
443 Posts

how about a sub eight days with small second:

I agree an 8-day movement Doxa would be the grail Doxa.....look what other companies get for their 8-day watches....If doxa could modify their 8-day movement to fit into a 45-47mm case ....well thats the type of watch that would be highly sought after and always command a premium IMHO...

T-Graph Pro
T-Graph Sharkhunter

JIM

·
Registered
1,560 Posts

"Higher grade movement" with big date and perhaps longer power reserve.
HRV for historical reasons.
Titanium at some point.
Screwbars for bracelet attachment.
Clasp with both foldover and pushbutton double locking (i.e., Omega with an additional foldover latch like the current Doax, or the clasps used by
such makers as Seiko or Citizen).

Steve
Fine watches are like diamonds for men

·
Registered
813 Posts

Rick,

I choose all of the above improvements for my dream doxa. Why pick just one of the above? Only question really is should it be made on the 1000t or 750t case design? I would have to go with the 750t but either would be fine. And add a cool logo too.

·
Registered
157 Posts

What about the dial:think: IMO to make a dream watch there also needs to be consideration given to the dial and some sort of historical significance with to tie the watch of the future to it's forefathers of the past:-!

So, if you will please let me pose this question (Dr. Pete, forgive as I do not as yet have your book for a point of reference, my fault though as I have not ordered it yet:-() to the DoxaHolic fringe out there:

Is there anything of historical significance or that would just look really cool on the dial of a new thicker case, screws not spring bars, HRV valve "DREAM DOXA" from back oh, I don't know...say 40 years ago in 1968...that graced the DOXA dive watches then, is unique and that would make this piece a sought after grail that would be a must have by collectors far and wide so that we the caretakers of our future generations time pieces (borrowed that one from Dr. Pete who borrowed it too I think) couldn't live without:)??? Must be something like this in the archives somewhere!!!

The old addage comes to mind of something old, something new,etc...well, at any rate I ramble but you know what I'm gettin' at!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts

Although most of the choices would be great improvements I would like to see a 2 register version of the T-graph as my dream Doxa.

G

·

My dream Doxa arethe two register T-graphs - especially the searambler....First vote goes there...bring back the searambler t-graph.

Second vote goes to keeping the cases THIN. I know I'm big-time in the minority here, but I don't need to pump iron while wearing a watch If I want a thick case I can go buy a Seiko or a Citizen and really put some elevation lines between my wrist and the crystal. the genius of Doxa, IMHO, is fitting the movement and its protection in such a thin case. That being said, I think the 1000T should have had minimally a 4mm crystal.

third vote goes to developing something in titanium, or a Ti option on some models as Seiko does.

fourth vote goes to developing stronger springbars, NOT screws, and possibly drilling the lugs through so it's easy to pop them on and off. I can't stand it that Rolex got rid of that feature. Doxa walks this thin line between jewel watch and tool watch....it's good to keep some tool watch features alive and well.

Like Jason, I think the synchron tapered bracelet is classy - I know it's way more expensive to make, but it looks nicer.

·
Registered
244 Posts

Rick,

You forgot bracelet with polished centre links on your poll! ;-)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

Hi Rick,
Doxa's strong point is tradition, but also quality. So, if you can improve some things is good. Fortunately Doxa has superb quality and few points need to change (imho).

The first is the lume. In the night is hard to see the hour hand, actually I have to imagine what hour is, and because 99% of the use is not underwater, is importand for me to read the hour in the night.
Second is the spring bar. One springbar of my Doxa after diving or swimming in the see produce rust on it and on bracelet. Maybe is defective. I don't know how easy is to put screws instead of springbars.

Regards,
Dimitris

·
Registered
350 Posts

Great poll, but you forgot to mention titainium?:-!

750T thicker case, deeper depth rating, thick screw type bracelet, HRV.... looking good so far and a metric bezel option|>|>

One of the best polls I have seen in ages......

Its got me all excited;-)

·
Registered
55 Posts

I'am reading now the doxa book...
And I find interesting the images 67, 68, 71, 72, 73, 74 because those watches are not, for me, "real" doxas...
So, I think that's very important to stay true to the spirit of the sub 300... So yes my dream doxa should keep the vintage look as the 750 and 1000 are doing... Don't be too adventurous ;-)
I think a yellow dial could be interesting, to complete the 750 and 1000...
A higher grade movement is also interesting...and also a vintage bracelet as suggest by jc levoy
And PLEASE don't forget the price: I think that it's difficult, for some of us, to buy expensive watches... Sorry to remain it :-(

1 - 20 of 150 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.