WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So much for 200m waterproof - my G-Lide DW-004 couldn't even cope with 2 feet. I've swum with it before, but today I lost the display about 5 minutes in and then condensation misted up the crystal from within.

Three hours on and it hasn't recovered, so I'm afraid it might be a gonner. :-(

Anyone else drowned a G?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,450 Posts
Sorry to hear about your DW-004.

If it were mine, I'd pull its module out (and the battery) and let everything fully dry out for a few days. After that, I'd try puting in a fresh battery and then resetting the module.. ;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,450 Posts
Yeah, what Sjors said!

You can always pilfer a module from another G to stick in there. Whatever you do, don't throw it away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,522 Posts
before drying the module i would put it (without battery) in distilled water for about 24 hours. it is wet already anyway but this way you make sure to wash out all kind of minerals and stuff you don't want in a module. don't worry distilled water cannot destroy electronic parts, presuming it isn't already dead.

btw: 200m/20bar means nothing if the gasket has gone bad, which seems obviously the case.


regards, holger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
809 Posts
Open it and take out the battery, and then put it in rice , yes that's right in rice it sucks out all the moisture, in a air tite container, like a plastic recipient or something , and leave it for 2 days, after that put a new battery in and hope for the best, these modules don't die that easaly !

Good luck !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
The rice "trick" worked for a friend's iPhone which fell into a toliet (don't ask). Maybe it'll work for your G too!
 

·
G-Shock Mod
Joined
·
14,085 Posts
The rice "trick" worked for a friend's iPhone which fell into a toliet (don't ask). Maybe it'll work for your G too!
i can't imagine using the iphone after that though :-x

i heard that the thing that you use in the cat litter box (sorry don't know what its called) works great too. just put everything is a container and those material will suck the moisture right out of any wet electronics (with the battery out already of course)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
i can't imagine using the iphone after that though :-x

i heard that the thing that you use in the cat litter box (sorry don't know what its called) works great too. just put everything is a container and those material will suck the moisture right out of any wet electronics (with the battery out already of course)
it's called "cat litter" ;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone - I'll try the rice/kitty litter thing; I wouldn't have thought of that.

What other modules than a DW-004 would fit - 6600, 6900?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
I agree with all said. Don't give up without trying something. For example my 2 yr old sons $3 Transformer digital watch got drownt in the bathtub and I was surprised to find it running again a couple of days later.
Good Luck

ScurvyLubber
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some good news to report!

I disassembled the 004 and wiped everything down, then left the module by the window in the warm air for the morning (yes, we do get warm weather in England - sometimes!).

Referring to Sjors's DW-003 battery change post, I reminded myself how to re-set the module and then noticed that some of these have a one-way seal with a lip and corresponding notch on the casing. I must admit I'd never known about this, so it may be down to me and my initial battery change when I first received the watch. Duh!! o|

Anyway, the module is back and up-and-running, so I'll put it back together (CAREFULLY this time), put some silicone oil on the seal and see how we go.

I'm going swimming again later today; am I brave enough to trust my own work now...?!

Thanks for your input, as ever, guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm, all is not quite right, still. The module is reset - the seconds are flashing ready for input - but none of the buttons is responding. I've opened it up again to make sure the contacts are clear, which they appear to be; any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,057 Posts
Hmm, all is not quite right, still. The module is reset - the seconds are flashing ready for input - but none of the buttons is responding. I've opened it up again to make sure the contacts are clear, which they appear to be; any ideas?
Can you see the "contact lips" making actual contact with the module when pressing the pushers (with an open backplate... ;-) )

Sjors has posted a pretty good description of the pushers/contacts:
https://www.watchuseek.com/showpost.php?p=1197079&postcount=2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,190 Posts
before drying the module i would put it (without battery) in distilled water for about 24 hours. it is wet already anyway but this way you make sure to wash out all kind of minerals and stuff you don't want in a module. don't worry distilled water cannot destroy electronic parts, presuming it isn't already dead.

btw: 200m/20bar means nothing if the gasket has gone bad, which seems obviously the case.


regards, holger
very interesting, i dont suppose you know why distilled water does no damage?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Because pure H20, distilled water, does not conduct electricity well so it will not short out the electronics. Unfortunately water is hardly ever pure; there are usually impurities in it which do conduct water.

very interesting, i dont suppose you know why distilled water does no damage?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,190 Posts
Because pure H20, distilled water, does not conduct electricity well so it will not short out the electronics. Unfortunately water is hardly ever pure; there are usually impurities in it which do conduct water.
so if you could get 100% pure H20 it would not conduct electricity at all?
 

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
Joined
·
21,586 Posts
so if you could get 100% pure H20 it would not conduct electricity at all?
Yep, that's true. For electric conductivity you need ionized particles. Pure water has only 2x10-7M ionized particles, which makes gives it a very hight resistance. Not that demineralized water has still ions in it. The Ca++ in tap water is replaces by Na+ in a demineralizer. Only destillation removes all ions.

Cheers,

Sjors
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top