WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been browsing some of the seemingly endless threats about the attraction and problems with Seagull chrono movements. A major theme being that sometimes movements don't work as expected either right out of the box or shortly thereafter.

In my experience when buying Chinese watches from certain sources one needs to accept that they may come in a condition that exhibits the well known, widely discussed flaws. Ignoring that or hoping for the best is like playing Roulette. Fortunately, for all the movements I know, these flaws are not fundamental flaws but rather having to do with improperly finished parts like gears and pivots, unclean assembly, improper lubrication and regulation and the like. These flaws can be corrected by a competent watchmaker resulting in good, if not impressive performance.

Whenever possible, I buy from a supplier who I trust to sell me a watch with a properly finished movement in the first place, and who provides me with a warranty and offers future service. I live in the US and find that sending a watch to Asia for warranty issues or service can work reasonably well. As an aside, I send my Pateks to Switzerland because I am more comfortable with them than with local authorized dealers or even the Stern agency in NY.

If, on the other hand, I buy a watch with what seems like a mass market production movement and without decent dealer backup, then I want to be certain that I have access to reliable service and that parts are accessible -- before I hit buy. I have not been in the market for services for a while but I know good watchmakers are out there. Due diligence is a must, as some can do more damage than good. Regarding parts -- I service some of my purchased watches and all my own builds myself -- at times I had to buy a complete movement just because I needed a single part. But that is just part of the price of choosing this path.

Here is a ST19 that I purchased in 2011 from Perpetual. I have not felt the need for a regular maintenance service yet. There were minor issues. The click spring needed to be replaced and the chrono needed a slight adjustment, which ironically happened to be an oversight of the seller/watchmaker. The watch runs within a few seconds per day which is outstanding and vastly better than the spec. A quick check in a random position just showed less than +2 seconds.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Can you read the date hand easily when the watch is on your wrist?

I ordered a Seagull M17 from US SeaGull, and my only concern is whether I will be able to read the date or not. The watch looks to have pretty high contrast - back numbers on a silver background with blued hands. At a quick glance, the date hand on the M17 and the date hand on your watch look to be about the same size.

Not to get too personal, but if you can read the date easily, do you have old eyes or young eyes? :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Can you read the date hand easily when the watch is on your wrist?

I ordered a Seagull M17 from US SeaGull, and my only concern is whether I will be able to read the date or not. The watch looks to have pretty high contrast - back numbers on a silver background with blued hands. At a quick glance, the date hand on the M17 and the date hand on your watch look to be about the same size.

Not to get too personal, but if you can read the date easily, do you have old eyes or young eyes? :)
Good questions and concern.

No, in most situations I cannot read the date without my reading glasses. I have excellent distance vision but my near vision has declined with age. The light dial on the M17 makes a big difference. If your near vision without glasses is not blurred and the lighting is reasonable, I am fairly certain you will have no problems reading the date.

I actually discussed with Alex changing the dial on my watch to white and possibly using a crystal with anti-reflective coating. I left that as an option for when the time comes to have the watch serviced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts