WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello watchfam.

I was hoping to get some help from you all.

I've always loved watches. From my younger days of the 80’s Casios & Swatch watches, to today’s days of finally diving into mechanical watches. One thing I definitely do not know much about are vintage Omega's.

History about this watch.

My late father owned this watch for as long as I can remember. He’s and old school Italian goodfella kinda guy that moved from Jersey to California during the construction boom. This Omega is pictured on all of our family pictures. I swear he never took that thing off. Anyway, the past few years were tough as he suffered from Dimentia/Alzheimers. I won’t get into it all, but one of the many quirks he had was he constantly thought his watch was broken. We would find it taken apart by himself on his desk. He would attempt to "fix it" by himself, but as you would imagine, unsuccessfully. He would get angry at us if we tried to send it in to get fixed, so he hid it from us all. This past January 2020, he passed away. It was obviously heart breaking to see him go, but relieved he was no longer suffering.

Today, My mom and sister were cleaning out his desk and found it. You could see by the pictures, it's seen a fair amount of abuse. If possible, I would like to restore it back to functioning order and pass it on as a family heirloom.

My questions are the following:

-Does anyone know the name of this piece, date, reference# or where I can find more info on this piece? I’d love to find out more about it.

-Should I take it to an Omega AD and have them send it to Omega for repair or find a local watchmaker?

-Is it salvageable? From the looks of it, the hands are taken off, dial is misaligned, crystal is intact, crown looks crooked, hopefully stem is okay.

My sister is bringing it to me next week so I'll open up the case back to view the internal damage.

Thanks in advance everyone.

***Original post on wrong forum group (Fake Omegas) . Can moderator delete the older post?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would take it to Omega and get a written estimate. A full service will sort out your hands and crown. They will probably insist on a new dial. Overall, It may be much cheaper than you think. You'll get a 2 year warranty too.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would take it to Omega and get a written estimate. A full service will give sorry or your hands and crown. They will probably insist on a new dial. Overall, It may be much cheaper than you think.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Thanks. I have an AD I work with that’s also an Omega AD. I’ll take it there. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts