WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Around 1972, my mother bought my father a Zenith El Primero Chronograph for an anniversary. He wore it for many years, then it stopped running well for some reason, and he put it away and forgot about it. Fast forward 30 or so years and he rediscovered it and gave it to me.

I don't consider myself a watch collector, though since I have 7 now, perhaps I can't really say that anymore. I never sell any, so over the decades I've accumulated mine either via the occasional purchase or gift. Because I had more watches than needed (if that's possible given the n+1 nature of the calculation), and the Zenith wasn't running, I put it away in a box with some other mementos and it sat there for many more years.

This past month, I finally undertook to get it checked out, cleaned, and restored to running order. I pick it up next week, but thought I'd share some initial photos from the watchmaker as it might be of interest to this group. From the little bit of research I've done (and thanks to all of the people here that have put so much work into tracing the history of these watches), this appears to be a 1972 A386, SN# 922D827, sold for the US market. It's currently on a Seiko bracelet, which I'll change out to a more appropriate strap once it's back in my hands

Comments welcome, of course.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Great to see this brought back to life. Hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
9,875 Posts
Very interesting, thanks for sharing! Gorgeous watch as well!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like an ace watchmaker - who's work is it, if you don't mind saying?
The work was done by United Watch Services in San Francisco. Really nice people, very communicative, responsive, and easy to deal with so far. I'll have the watch back early next week, but it looks good in the pictures and they say it's running great :~)

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
That’s so cool. A beautiful watch with sentimental history and value - doesn’t get much better in this hobby!

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Congratulations, that looks great, absolutely wonderful.

I would estimate it was produced late in 1970.

Welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Great story and a terrific watch.

You are very lucky to have received (rather than inherited) this watch.

Thank your Dad for what is definitely a classic/cult watch.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Love them watches. great story. It’s going to look pretty good. Post some pics, would like to see more. Enjoy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm about to send off my dad's watch to be restored as well. I won't drift your thread with that story, but I definitely enjoyed seeing your dad's watch all taken apart with the innards laid out like that.

Good on you for restoring a fine heirloom.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Very interesting pics, look forward to seeing a photo once it’s back and on your wrist!

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
wow, what a wonderful watch - great post

thanks

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,422 Posts
If only I had people in the family who'd pass on a specimen of the sacred A386 to me..... I truly envy you!

Wear it in excellent health for many years and pass it on to someone worthy.

Hartmut Richter

1 - 20 of 25 Posts