WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know next to nothing about Rolexes, so I thought I'd post this here for you experts.
I'm just curious what exactly it is, maybe what year, and an approximate value.
He told me he bought it "maybe 20 years ago", and that's about all he remembers.
Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
You're not going to get a valuation, but you might want to get better pictures. A few of the back, clasp, crown, ect...

·
Registered
36,304 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
If indeed the watch was purchased new in the 90's, then it's likely a two toned Datejust with a Jubilee bracelet and diamond dial. Probably the most popular model ever made by Rolex on a world wide basis, although if you spend more time on this and perhaps other Rolex online forums, you'd think that the Submariner is the most popular.

That gold on the watch bezel and bracelet is 18K gold, the rest of the metal is stainless steel. I can't tell if the diamonds are factory original or aftermarket.

If your father purchased it pre owned, then nothing changes except maybe it has a plastic crystal rather than sapphire.

You know, at this point of ownership, who cares what it's worth...if your father enjoys owning it and wearing it and doesn't need to cash it in to make grocery money this week. But, if curiosity is getting the better of you, then you can construct an approximate value by rummaging through ebay and looking up two toned Rolex Datejust with model numbers 16013 or 16213. The numbers mean something to people who congregate here, and if you really want to delve into the world of Rolex, you can browse around this forum and others and catch on to the lingo concerning model numbers and various aspects of everything Rolex, but if you just want beginner's info, you've got enough to superficially go on.

If the basics are what you desire, know that your father owns the classic Rolex Datejust from the modern era and that alone can be celebrated.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If indeed the watch was purchased new in the 90's, then it's likely a two toned Datejust with a Jubilee bracelet and diamond dial. Probably the most popular model ever made by Rolex on a world wide basis, although if you spend more time on this and perhaps other Rolex online forums, you'd think that the Submariner is the most popular.

That gold on the watch bezel and bracelet is 18K gold, the rest of the metal is stainless steel. I can't tell if the diamonds are factory original or aftermarket.

If your father purchased it pre owned, then nothing changes except maybe it has a plastic crystal rather than sapphire.

You know, at this point of ownership, who cares what it's worth...if your father enjoys owning it and wearing it and doesn't need to cash it in to make grocery money this week. But, if curiosity is getting the better of you, then you can construct an approximate value by rummaging through ebay and looking up two toned Rolex Datejust with model numbers 16013 or 16213. The numbers mean something to people who congregate here, and if you really want to delve into the world of Rolex, you can browse around this forum and others and catch on to the lingo concerning model numbers and various aspects of everything Rolex, but if you just want beginner's info, you've got enough to superficially go on.

If the basics are what you desire, know that your father owns the classic Rolex Datejust from the modern era and that alone can be celebrated.
Thank you very much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts