WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one I made out of parts, but other than the strap I wanted to at least give it the appearance of a factory watch so I used all Vostok parts. It has a 2414 movement and I subbed the black date ring to go with the NOS dial.

This one is the 030788 on a horse hide strap.

170863 on a Vostok mesh bracelet

This one is Franken all the way with custom dial, bezel, bezel insert, hands, and elastic strap

170862 with a 3rd party rubber strap

·
Registered
8,427 Posts

This is my favourite: I modded it creating a starburst finish (not perfect at all, but I tried), anti-magnetic back case, steel bezel and mesh. Of course I regulated as well.

I think right now it looks and feel like a diver with a much different price point but I tried stay true to the Soviet original.

This dial in particular seems to be printed with the same tooling as the original Soviet one, unfortunately I cannot find a tapering bracelet like the 6.50 rubles that came with the 119.

·
Registered
219 Posts
View attachment 15378136

This is my favourite: I modded it creating a starburst finish (not perfect at all, but I tried), anti-magnetic back case, steel bezel and mesh. Of course I regulated as well.

I think right now it looks and feel like a diver with a much different price point but I tried stay true to the Soviet original.

View attachment 15378137
If someone could explain to me or give me a link with an explanation on how to adjust those mesh straps that would be great...

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If someone could explain to me or give me a link with an explanation on how to adjust those mesh straps that would be great...
It’s not easy. You have to make a cut through a row of links on each side to remove enough to size it correctly. So you can use wire cutters, but I found this bends the next row of links and you have to use pliers to bend them back.

What I did was use my Dremel tool with a cut off wheel to cut through a row of links. I used a vise to hold the strap as it gets quite hot.

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
This one actually had removable links:

Unfortunately even with all the links removed is a tad longer than what I would have liked.

·
Registered
219 Posts
It’s not easy. You have to make a cut through a row of links on each side to remove enough to size it correctly. So you can use wire cutters, but I found this bends the next row of links and you have to use pliers to bend them back.

What I did was use my Dremel tool with a cut off wheel to cut through a row of links. I used a vise to hold the strap as it gets quite hot.
F**k. No easy way, is there? I love the way they look - especially on the 090 - but apparently they are a b***h to handle... Ah, well, always thought I needed to buy a dremel, now I have a reason. Or would a cut off wheel attached to a drilling machine work as well? I don't see why not - then I would need just a cut off wheel.

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
F**k. No easy way, is there? I love the way they look - especially on the 090 - but apparently they are a b***h to handle... Ah, well, always thought I needed to buy a dremel, now I have a reason. Or would a cut off wheel attached to a drilling machine work as well? I don't see why not - then I would need just a cut off wheel.
Yeah tonneau case + mesh is a typical look for a 70s diver:

I only wish the lugs of the 090 case were 22 mm as it´s very difficult to find a tapering mesh and the clasp is combersome.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Cut to length (middle hole on clasp) with snips (quickest) or Dremel. The end you cut will depend on the required position of the clasp on the wrist as all ends are virtually the same on shark mesh.
These snips cut through s/s like butter.

Barry

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Ooo until I finally finish my embossed dial Olympic, it has to be three of the four Amphibia's I have here running (and keeping flawless timekeeping thanks to patiently nailing it down and gentle nudges on the regulator)

KVPO #903 living in a refurbished 060 case (prefer the 060 and 090's, not a fan of the octagonals)

My first attempt at a homebuild, all off the shelf parts and just adore this one...

My grille'd up 090 which has just massive presence on the ol' wrist...

The radio room now is on a naval camo NATO and the grille is on a 2 piece blue seatbelt ringer finally getting the straps on all where I want them so I can just slap on wrist after winding/setting and good to go.

For my next Vostok build which I am parting up, I have already got a lovely dark brown hide Vostok embossed 22mm ringer, just waiting on parts from Russia so I can get to work on the thing lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts