WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Fifty Fathoms Fathoms mod watch I have below has been with me since November 2010.

This dial produced with the guys here at WUS and JakeB has been long discontinued. I added the FFF gold hands, then paired with a Bradystrap with gold stitching. I also installed the FFF caseback as well. With the emergence of the new Tudor Black Bay, interest was high on that look from the Seiko modders. I was able to get a dial and the bezel but the gold Snowflake hands is still under production. I don't like to use silver hands since it won't match the dial. I realized that the red bezel will match my old FFF so I tried it yesterday and viola - The FFF Black Bay mod! Here it is with a Bonetto Cinturini model 281 strap which completes the neo-modern-vintage look :-!

It's a nice spin that breathed new life to an old mod, I am quite happy with the results :clap:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Nice watch & nice pics. By the way , what's the trick in loading large pix on the thread. WUS only permit 36 kb max. I had trouble loading mine in bigger format.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Fantastic combo, I'm glad I went with the SNZH as a base for the Black Bay.

I was thinking of a mesh bracelet or straight end oyster, but the vintage looking rubber is looking nice.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Greaaaattt...I went with the snzh also.
Did you manage to take the OEM bezel insert easily? If so how did you do it??
I´ve noticed that the bezel insert doesn´t have a tight fit as the OEM but probably you´ll only notice it with the macro shots, is this true?
Sorry for the questions but I can´t wait to have my mod done...

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I´ve noticed that the bezel insert doesn´t have a tight fit as the OEM but probably you´ll only notice it with the macro shots, is this true?
The harlex insert is really easy to crak.
I menaged to detach with some zippo gas (I read somewhere here to do that), be carefull to use just few drops as the under side do not have to rinse too much or it get dull.
I destroied my first and now I understand is really difficult to buy a new one (someone making BB mod has one spare 57 insert for me?)

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Yeah, they do crack really easy, but with some care, and a very thin blade they come out pretty easily.
Yes, what you see is true. The reason being, not all SNZH are made exactly the same. Some have slightly smaller well for the insert to fit into. I had them made 1:1 size with the smaller. The result? On some watches the fit is not really a tight fit. The alternative was to make it 1:1 with the ever so slightly larger one, but then it wouldn't fit at all into watches with the smaller well. In any case, I've fitted the SNZH ones with industrial gum adhesive, so when they're installed, they're stuck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts