WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day Gents,

Over the past several weeks I have be looking and looking for a bronze piece to add to my current small watch collection and have finally decided on these two choices as the final two so now looking for advice on which would serve me better as far as longevity and reliability as far as accuracy and quality along with investment return if I chose to sell it at a later time.

I normally wear every watch I have for a week and just recently am rotating between 2 watches for the week so what ever I choose with your help will get worn once every 4-6 weeks

Candidate 1

TAG Autavia

Candidate 2

Bell & Ross Diver

The Bell & Ross is quite a lot more but I currently have no watch of this style in my small collection, as far as movements go the TAG uses an iinhouse movement and the B&R uses a one as well but I’m not sure if they are like base movements from Selita or similar and have just been tweaked

Any help in helping me make a decision would be greatly appreciated and I promise to post pics of my final selection..

·
Premium Member
6,964 Posts
I like the looks of the Autavia a lot more. The movement in the B&R is potentially better (SW300 vs 2024/SW200), but the Tag is a chronometer so it wins there too. And it's cheaper... so 3 for 3 in my book.

Reactions: ffritz

·
Registered
124 Posts
I went through a bronze phase a few years ago. My recommendation would be to buy a less expensive, pre-owned piece first. It will end up saving you a lot of money in the long-run if you (like me) determine that bronze isn't your thing.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I went through a bronze phase a few years ago. My recommendation would be to buy a less expensive, pre-owned piece first. It will end up saving you a lot of money in the long-run if you (like me) determine that bronze isn't your thing.

Agreed. I loved the look but not the patina. Tread carefully!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
Good Day Gents,

Over the past several weeks I have be looking and looking for a bronze piece to add to my current small watch collection and have finally decided on these two choices as the final two so now looking for advice on which would serve me better as far as longevity and reliability as far as accuracy and quality along with investment return if I chose to sell it at a later time.

I normally wear every watch I have for a week and just recently am rotating between 2 watches for the week so what ever I choose with your help will get worn once every 4-6 weeks

Candidate 1

TAG Autavia

Candidate 2

Bell & Ross Diver

The Bell & Ross is quite a lot more but I currently have no watch of this style in my small collection, as far as movements go the TAG uses an iinhouse movement and the B&R uses a one as well but I’m not sure if they are like base movements from Selita or similar and have just been tweaked

Any help in helping me make a decision would be greatly appreciated and I promise to post pics of my final selection..
Come on, if you are willing to pay this kind of money, get the Tudor Black Bay Bronze with a proper in-house movement

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Reactions: MikeWatchUK

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The B&R gets my vote. I love those square divers.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
This was part of the draw for me, besides being bronze it’s square and I have none that even resemble that look.

I like the looks of the Autavia a lot more. The movement in the B&R is potentially better (SW300 vs 2024/SW200), but the Tag is a chronometer so it wins there too. And it's cheaper... so 3 for 3 in my book.
I initially found the brown dialed Autavia and really liked the warm colors but then my son sent me a link to the green dialed one and the green really caught my attention so I started looking at green divers and had a list of about 6-7 and finally it down, when I looked at a green dial my choices went way down.

I do like the chronometer certification and could easily live with that since all my current pieces less the few vintage Vostoks and a micro brand MAS Diver are all COSC spec’ed

The aged patina look is what I’m after and if I choose to not like the patina look from my understanding it’s no a hard process to keep it from happening but if that were the case I would choose another material and I could always resell down the road if it came to that.

Agreed. I loved the look but not the patina. Tread carefully!

I have looked at several pics of aged bronze and and from my very limited knowledge bronze pantina’s differently based on lots of different things so it will be different from person to person but yes I have considered the fact I may not like the bronze changing but could always keep it polished and that would feed my OCD for a shiny watch...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Come on, if you are willing to pay this kind of money, get the Tudor Black Bay Bronze with a proper in-house movement

View attachment 15375689

View attachment 15375690
I currently own a Tudor BB but not bronze and briefly considered getting it but I am trying to keep to having all different brands so that’s what I looked to TAG and B&R

·
Registered
124 Posts
The aged patina look is what I’m after and if I choose to not like the patina look from my understanding it’s no a hard process to keep it from happening but if that were the case I would choose another material and I could always resell down the road if it came to that.
This was also the look I was after. No one can/should dissuade you from doing what you want, but just keep in mind that the resale on Bronze watches is generally a significantly lower % of MSRP than their steel equivalents. I did not know this going in and wish I had.

·
Premium Member
8,941 Posts
Before you buy that B&R, I strongly suggest you check it for size. 42 mm square is VERY large.

I've got issues with B&R's prices...$4k for a 300 is at leas approaching a bad movement/watch combination. I'd be happier if it was chronometer-certified, at least. But on the square models, it feels like they're crucifying you for that specific look.

Two other options come to mind. Stowa and Dekla both have new bronze-case deck watches.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would go with the TH because I'm not a fan of the square case watches. I'm sure it a fine timepiece, but having to look at the square just wouldn't do it for me.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
B&R best cockpit styles out there

·
Registered
291 Posts
+1 for the Tudor.

Of the ones you linked, I'd go Tag as I really don't like the B&R. Also that Tag animation is awesome 🙂

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Before you buy that B&R, I strongly suggest you check it for size. 42 mm square is VERY large.

I've got issues with B&R's prices...$4k for a 300 is at leas approaching a bad movement/watch combination. I'd be happier if it was chronometer-certified, at least. But on the square models, it feels like they're crucifying you for that specific look.

Two other options come to mind. Stowa and Dekla both have new bronze-case deck watches.
I honestly like large watches but I’m not sure how large the B&R would be but here are a few large watches I have currently

BA2E1591-2B22-4D0E-857C-936531FB4E2D.jpeg
F47F7D11-24FC-4905-AFA5-BEEC32CE3F52.jpeg

And if you aren't willing to pay that kind of money you can get the Vostok 196500 with an in-house movement.

I have a few Vostoks but not bronze and not very large

E2A954E8-9D56-4FAB-A979-543CDA0A3B6C.jpeg
BF44C8DC-C1DE-4174-940E-92AFD2F250E3.jpeg

+1 for the Tudor.

Of the ones you linked, I'd go Tag as I really don't like the B&R. Also that Tag animation is awesome 🙂
I did look at Tudor but want to keep things different with not having the same brand that I already own, the one exception I have are a few vintage Vostoks I have but already own a Tudor BB

7FECF3C1-AC2F-4DDD-A505-A5A7126773C6.jpeg

·
Registered
459 Posts
This advice; I find to be very apt. I love the look of bronze watches and owned two; a Carl Brashear Oris Diver and a Black Bay Bronze but moved them on as I could not tolerate the smell of bronze. Now i admire them but cannot bring myself to own one again.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I only have one bronze watch. The BBBBB Tudor. Love it. Liked it so much, i got one even if i already has the BBB. Here they are together -
F0F951AF-F91E-4781-B02F-E74312AD861D.png

1 - 20 of 30 Posts