WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've purchased my first new, russian watch! I love it, but... the instruction manual is in russian. I managed to find an english version on the net so that I could set the date and time, but something even more simple is giving me headaches... How do I open the clasp? It's probably a pretty standard solution, I know, but I'm new to this bracelet thing. Please help!

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've purchased my first new, russian watch! I love it, but... the instruction manual is in russian. I managed to find an english version on the net so that I could set the date and time, but something even more simple is giving me headaches... How do I open the clasp? It's probably a pretty standard solution, I know, but I'm new to this bracelet thing. Please help!
i had the exact same problem with my first amphibian. You undo that "lock" for the clasp, and you take the clasp and pull very hard. after a while it gets easier to open, though. Vostok just makes cheap bracelets. Hope that somewhat helped. good luck |>

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
What most people do is:

1) Open the clasp
2) Remove the bracelet
3) Throw it away
4) Buy a quality strap that's to your liking
5) Install new strap
6) Enjoy
7) Take pictures and post them here.:)

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
For the strap, I agree with previous posts :-d

To set the time, you must unscrew the crown and pull it out, this will permit to move hands.
About setting the date, there is a long and boring procedure.
You must go ahead with the hour hand, after midnight; then come back before 8 pm, and again forward after midnight. One day on. You must repeat, back and forward, until you reach the right day :roll:

·
Registered
318 Posts
I just got my first Amphibian today as well and I can't agree more with those who say to throw the bracelet away. I thought the bracelet that came with a cheap Seiko 5 was bad but this thing makes the seiko look like a Rolex ;-)

Mine is now in the bin and the Amphib is wearing a slightly too wide Nato. Love this watch :) will post photos soon :)

Kev

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Strangely, I find the original bracelet more then comfortable enough for daily wear...
I guess this has to do with the wrist size... :think:

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Strangely, I find the original bracelet more then comfortable enough for daily wear...
I guess this has to do with the wrist size... :think:
The original strap is serviceable - barely. The saftey clasp often doesn't stay down and the pins break when you try to shorten the bracelet.

I think that most people find that the watch is much better than the bracelet and swap out for something that suits the watch better.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The original strap is serviceable - barely. The saftey clasp often doesn't stay down and the pins break when you try to shorten the bracelet.
I managed to open it fine, I just had to use some force. I kinda liked the bracelet, I thought "why are they so negative? It looks great!". And it does, except when I tried to shorten it.

You see, I have very small wrists, so even at the smallest setting it was too big. As you said, some pins bent and it was quite a job shortening it the "legal" way. However, thankfully, since the steel is very bendable I managed to tear off a joint. So, now it almost fits! :-!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Another vote for the "toss the band" motion. I bought two each for my buddy and I, I ordered a Watchadoo (very nice) he went to our corner watch repair guy and bought what he had, we both are pleased.

By the way the watch repair guy is from Cuba, he approved of the Vostoks (I guess he'd seen more then a few) opened them to check the seals and pronounced them safe to go in the ocean with. I've had mine to maybe 30 feet while snorkeling. And the Miami sun has turned the blue Amphibia an interesting shade of blue-purple. I emailed the guy in Russia, more as an aside when ordering a new one, and he said they were like that when they were new as well. He didn't put them in the window display cases.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Same here, I just bent the link a little and removed it so it is just one link shorter then shortest. It fits me perfectly now :-!

I was going to change the bracelet but since it it's doing it's job quite satisfactory I actually plan on keeping it :-d

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Same here, I just bent the link a little and removed it so it is just one link shorter then shortest. It fits me perfectly now :-!

I was going to change the bracelet but since it it's doing it's job quite satisfactory I actually plan on keeping it :-d
Same here! It's comfortable enough, and although the clasp is a bit tricky it works just fine. I hate the thought of shelling out for a band when the watch already has one (even though the watch is cheap - but then again, so am I :-d).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi, I also noticed that on my blue diver and I find it is a pity because the out of the box blue is quite nice. It took around 4 months to change colour totally. I always have the feeling that Vostok watches from the 80ies or 90ies are of higher quality. I've had a similar blue diver from the 80ies and in spite of its daily use it never changed colour...

best regards
Richie

And the Miami sun has turned the blue Amphibia an interesting shade of blue-purple. I emailed the guy in Russia, more as an aside when ordering a new one, and he said they were like that when they were new as well. He didn't put them in the window display cases.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I actually don't mind the bracelet that came with my Amphibia. Yes, it's cheap (and I had to bend the tabs to remove links rather than remove the wedged-in pins), but it's comfortable, looks decent to the casual observer, and has the Boctoc "B" on the clasp, so I like it. The watchadoos look pretty cool, but they cost more than either one of my Amphibias. Mabe when my OEM bracelet inevitably breaks, it will force me to buy one!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts