WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had this 1999 valentine DW-5600VT for a long time but never wore it because it was too yellowed. Well today I bought some scarlet red Rit dye, followed all the WUS past threads on this subject and tried it out

The only issue is that it took like 30 minutes to get the desired color

The module is from a 5600CL c-spec, which has red digits, which looks cool but is hard to read, I will probably use a positive module later. Tell me what you think

Here are some pics

Disassembled

Reassembled

Some wrist shots

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I wouldn't change the module. It looks real good the way it is. The negative display goes good with the black lettering.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I agree -- I think it looks great! :-!

The only issue is that it took like 30 minutes to get the desired color
I don't know that it's an "issue" since 20-30 minutes is pretty common when dying NON-jelly resins. From everything I've read jellies usually DO absorb dye faster than that, but it's probably better that it took a while since that reduces the chance for error!

"It's pink...it's dark pink...it's getting there...THAT's the red I'm looking for! Now where are the kitchen tongs...oh, how did it go from red to dark maroon in the 20 seconds I had my back turned?!"

That would have been worse. ;-)

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
love it ... my heart skipped a beat when I looked at the strap-keep, as I melted a few

like Mike said, the jelly takes the dye too well that you can microwave the dye with water for 2 min. and then pour them on the awaiting jelly

maybe you were being too careful with mixing the color

great job of not making it too dark

Reactions: Vade_R

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Great job there Vade_R, and very inspiring. Looks terrific. :-! I've been thinking of doing the same but just haven't set aside the time to try doing it. Sounds like it is particularly tricking with the translucent "jelly" material.

·
Registered
336 Posts
That watch is beautiful. If Casio sold a model like that, I'd buy one.

FWIW, I like the clear keeper, I wouldn't switch it to black.

Maybe Photoshop it with a positive module to see if that'd be better, but it's pretty awesome as is.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Will that turned out great! I think yellowed jellys are the best resin for it. Still to try it myself, but it seems like the way to go. :cool:

sent with aloha

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks guys on all the positive comments, I'm going to leave it with the red negative module for awhile. the dyeing of the resin really revived an old watch that i dust didn't want to wear anymore, i wore it today all day and I'm really surprised by how well it turned out.

cheers guys

1 - 20 of 31 Posts