WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought my first automatic watch. It arrived yesterday and I set the date/time last night at 8pm. So, it's about 8pm now and the watch has
had its "first" 24-hour period with me.

Wenger TerraGraph Automatic (Model 72760)

http://www.wengerna.com/browse/product.jsp?prod_id=9195&cat_id=5&cat_name=Wenger%20Watches&sub_cat_id=6

I'll probably have more questions, but for now the basics. If you have an answer to any of them, please let me know:

1. What is the movement inside this watch? It only says 25-Jewel Swiss automatic.

2. What per-24-hours accuracy is considered good; what is one that would be average for these; and, above how many seconds would it be prudent to have it tuned?

3. Is it OK to wash hands and allow water to splash on the watch? It says water-resistant to 100 meters. What about the leather band? It's nice, I don't want it to fall apart. I also ask this because when I am at work, I wash hands constantly, 4-5 times per hour even.

4. I was able to avoid this so far, but what will happen to the watch and leather band if alcohol (hand disinfectant) comes in contact with either? I assume that this should be highly avoided.

5. How often do you adjust the time on yours? I suppose this must depend on the answer to question 2.

Thanks!

P.S. My accuracy so far, on the first day, is: gained 10-12 seconds in 24 hours.

·
11,743 Posts
First off, nice watch!! I have Wenger Terrograph Auto with SS bracelet and a black face 72765. I has a 25 Jewel ETA 2824-2 in it. I am not to worried about accuracy unless it way off, I will let others answer that one for you.

As for the WR rating, I am sure the watch is OK, the band may not last long if exposed to water that often. Not sure if they use a water proof band but I would upgrade to a water proof leather band, or swap it for a rubber type or stainless at work.

I am quite sure hand disinfectant (you mean the store bought stuff right? Not like a medical scrub or something) will not hurt the watch, the band again may not fare so well. Maybe others have better info.

Here is a shot of mine:

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
If you are gettiing +/- 10 seconds per day you are doing OK. I wouldn't worry unless it was greater than +/- 30 seconds. You need to wait until the watch settles in before thinking about accuracy anyway.
If you have to wash your hands every 10 minutes you must be in a microbiologically sensitive job and have to maintain good sanitation. In that case you shouldn't be wearing a watch anyway. A watch can be a source of contamination. In my work life, we never wore watches or jewelry in the food plant. Nada, zilch, zero. Put the watch away while at work.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
1) Movement is ETA 2824-2..a Swiss workhorse.
2) In a non-COSC movement, the watch may be off 10 to 15 seconds per day. In the big scheme of things...that's not much unless you are a big accuracy freak...in that case, trade it for a quartz.
3) WR at 100M is okay for your purposes...you could actually swim in that watch.
4) Nothing will happen to the watch because of the alcohol, bit as "66" says, you will eventually damage the strap. You may consider a nice aftermarket SS bracelet.
5) Can't answer this one...the longest I wear a watch is a couple of days, but say it's off by 10 seconds a day...that's barely over 1 minute a week...so, again, unless you are an accuracy nut, once a week should be fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sixtysix: the black face w/ stainless bracelet looks nice. How hard is it to change the straps? I am considering buying a stainless bracelet because of the hand washing issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was also wondering about winding the crown. I know that ~30 times is safe when the watch is stopped, but what to do if it is running? I don't want to accidentally over-tighten and damage the mechanism. Should I basically leave the crown alone and let the watch wind exclusively via wrist movements?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I was also wondering about winding the crown. I know that ~30 times is safe when the watch is stopped, but what to do if it is running? I don't want to accidentally over-tighten and damage the mechanism. Should I basically leave the crown alone and let the watch wind exclusively via wrist movements?
The winding will become noticeably stiffer. At any rate, the 2824 is very robust, as long as you aren't winding like a madman, it's hard to damage it even if it's fully wound.

For an affordable 2824, I wouldn't worry unless it's 20 seconds or so faster per day.

100m means you do not need to worry about water splashing it, but moisture and sudden changes in temperature or humidity are a leather strap's worst enemy, so try not to soak it for fun (same goes for your shoes). But note that you'll need to replace it anyway, so don't get too worried (maybe once per 1-2 years if worn daily or almost daily).

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't suppose you work in the medical field?

I am in college currently to be a nurse, and rubber is the recommended strap material as far as I know. Rubber is the easiest to disinfect as it doesn't hold moisture and it can be wiped with disinfectant. Metal bands have crevices which can harbor bacteria, fungi, and other nasties that a quick wipe cannot reach.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I was also wondering about winding the crown. I know that ~30 times is safe when the watch is stopped, but what to do if it is running?
Nothing, just wear it.
I don't want to accidentally over-tighten and damage the mechanism. Should I basically leave the crown alone and let the watch wind exclusively via wrist movements?
Yes.

·
11,743 Posts
sixtysix: the black face w/ stainless bracelet looks nice. How hard is it to change the straps? I am considering buying a stainless bracelet because of the hand washing issue.
For the most part, swapping bands is easy with the right tool. Get a tool like this.

http://www.ottofrei.com/store/product.php?productid=7907&cat=1294&page=1

A Bergeon Spring Bar Tool, don't settle for a cheap one. There are on line tutorials for swapping bands online, just do a search.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
The ETA 2824-2 has a clutch in it to prevent overwinding...that said, the recommended procedure is to wind it 20 to 40 "turns", so 30 is right there in the middle.

If your watch has a screw down crown and tube, every time you unscrew it and then screw it back it, you take a chance (it actually happens quite often to people) of cross threading it...so be careful. One recommendation is to turn the crown counterclockwise while pushing in until you feel it seat...then screw it down.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
KenC: this watch does not have the screw-down crown. Thanks for letting me know that there is a mechanism to avoid over-winding. Is it considered pretty reliable? I mean, in theory, if I was curious to find out and wound the watch a hundred times instead of 30, would there be damage? Do you feel the winding getting tighter? How do you know that you're hitting the clutch feature? I am only asking these questions for education purposes, I of course do not intend to do this.

In fact, I decided to follow the advice of others here and leave the crown alone until (or if) it stops, save for time/date setting. Once it stops, I will do the recommended 30 turns.

I also read somewhere that the minute and hour hands must be away from the 12 o'clock position, preferable both in the large range between 1 and 11 while setting the date. Is that true?

Also, does anything bad happen if you accidentally start winding the date or the hands the wrong way in positions 2 or 3 before realizing your mistake?

·
Registered
941 Posts
How hard is it to change the straps?
Animated how to...
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/voguestrap/interface.swf

if I was curious to find out and wound the watch a hundred times instead of 30, would there be damage?
I imagine you would prematurely/unnessarily wear out the clutch.

hour hands must be away from the 12 o'clock position, preferable both in the large range between 1 and 11 while setting the date. Is that true?
Rule of thumb is that you should never adjust the date when the displayed time is in between 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. Doing so, you risk damaging the date change mechanism.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
I really don't see the need to wind an automatic watch at all unless you are confined to bed rest.
Just give it a shake or two and it'll start running. After that normal use should keep it wound sufficiently.
If you want to wind watches, get a wind-up.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
I really don't see the need to wind an automatic watch at all unless you are confined to bed rest.
Just give it a shake or two and it'll start running. After that normal use should keep it wound sufficiently.
If you want to wind watches, get a wind-up.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
KenC: this watch does not have the screw-down crown. Thanks for letting me know that there is a mechanism to avoid over-winding. Is it considered pretty reliable? I mean, in theory, if I was curious to find out and wound the watch a hundred times instead of 30, would there be damage? Do you feel the winding getting tighter? How do you know that you're hitting the clutch feature? I am only asking these questions for education purposes, I of course do not intend to do this.
If you where to wind it a 100 times all you are doing is causing more wear to the 2824 autowind reverse wheels. It's unnecessary, wear it and forget it.

The 2824 will emit a subtle 'click, click, click' when it is fully wound. This is the sound of the mainspring slipping on the barrel wall as it traverses 4 notches cut at 90 deg to each other.

I also read somewhere that the minute and hour hands must be away from the 12 o'clock position, preferable both in the large range between 1 and 11 while setting the date. Is that true?

Also, does anything bad happen if you accidentally start winding the date or the hands the wrong way in positions 2 or 3 before realizing your mistake?
It may cause the date wheel to stop or hang on the 2824 if you try setting the date between 8pm and 2am but the 2824 is more resilient than some other movements and I've not suffered an issue or any damage. lysander posted some stuff about it in the public forum have a search using DATE and SETTING.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, it's about 3 x 24hours, or 3 days later. The watch is approximately 30 seconds fast. After day 2 it was approximately 20 seconds fast. So, it gains about 10 seconds per 24-hour period. How can it be so precise? I am both surprised and impressed. Is it normal for an automatic watch to be so consistent?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This puppy continues to tick about 10 seconds fast each day. If it's that consistent, isn't it possible to regulate it back 10 seconds and have it be just perfect, within a second a day? Or am I not thinking properly here? Just curious.

·
11,743 Posts
I it possible, especially if it is that consistant. BUT probably not worth the hassle. I would run it for a few months before I thought about having it opened up, just to make sure it stays a +10 sec.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts